• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Lois Lane Cover

54 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2017 at 6:48 AM, Chillax23 said:

So CGC has the label wrong and AC27 is the first cover appearance? How does CGC not correct this it seems fairly obvious?

Same reason that cgc hasn’t place “1st app first round shield” on Cap 2 cgc labels :p

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to mention that the August 1929 issue of Weird Tales has a story by Lois Lane.  Jerry Siegel was known to be a reader of many pulps, including Weird Tales.  He had a letter published in a 1930 issue so he is very likely to have seen the Lois Lane story, making it a strong possibility for the inspiration for the name.  The story, The Purple Sedan, was Lois Lane's only contribution to Weird Tales, and as far as I can tell, her only publication ever.  I know of no details of her life, or even if she was a real person or a pseudonym.  

This same issue is better known for the first appearance of Robert E. Howard's character Kull of Atlantis.  The story, The Shadow Kingdom, is considered one of Howard's best, and is also considered the first sword and sorcery story, so it's quite an important issue.

M1755HIh.jpg

REARaJLh.jpg

Bz7ZDn7h.jpg

Thanks for sharing that Todd :applause:

On 2/15/2020 at 12:47 PM, Chillax23 said:

Wanted to bump this up - I understand that Overstreet now lists Action 27 as the 1st Lois Lane Cover - assumign this is correct (I do nto have the new Overstreet) - how long will it be before CGC adjusts their label to reflect Action 27 as the first Lois cover?

I am trying to hunt down a low grade Action 27 (shameless plug if someone is selling a CGC 2.0 or so) - but wondering if I can send it in for a label upgrade.

Here’s my copy.

D2D951B6-E6A3-460F-A8BA-080CC34B2051.jpeg

Edited by Primetime

2 minutes ago, Primetime said:

He does not. Often times these covers don’t match the interior stories. :p

I think that is the bigger issue.  Just because her skirt is yellow does not make her Lois.

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I think that is the bigger issue.  Just because her skirt is yellow does not make her Lois.

I see your perspective. I do believe it is Lois Lane on the front cover of the 27 and the 29. I do not think she is on the cover of the 23. 

Edited by Primetime

16 hours ago, Primetime said:

I see your perspective. I do believe it is Lois Lane on the front cover of the 27 and the 29. I do not think she is on the cover of the 23. 

What do you base that on?   (I am curious as I have never had any early actions and have no clue how we might determine).  

On 2/15/2020 at 12:47 PM, Chillax23 said:

Wanted to bump this up - I understand that Overstreet now lists Action 27 as the 1st Lois Lane Cover - assumign this is correct (I do nto have the new Overstreet)

Yes, I guess Overstreet must have read your mind as he did indeed finally make this change in this year's edition of the guide.  (thumbsu

Not only did he desigante Action 27 as the first Lois Lane cover, but also broke it out from the Action 26-28,30 grouping and bumped the valuation for the book from $8,400 all the way up to $9,500 in this year's guide.  Action 29 now desiganted as Lois Lane's second cover with the same valuation of $9,200 which is the same as last year's guide guide valuation.  :gossip:

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

Well I have inquired with CGC as to when they will update their Label to properly reflect Action 27 as the 1st Lois Lane cover .......... I await their response :juggle:

If that doesn’t work, I’m sure a nudge by Mark Haspel will push the change. 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, RedFury said:

Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to mention that the August 1929 issue of Weird Tales has a story by Lois Lane.  Jerry Siegel was known to be a reader of many pulps, including Weird Tales.  He had a letter published in a 1930 issue so he is very likely to have seen the Lois Lane story, making it a strong possibility for the inspiration for the name.  The story, The Purple Sedan, was Lois Lane's only contribution to Weird Tales, and as far as I can tell, her only publication ever.  I know of no details of her life, or even if she was a real person or a pseudonym.  

This same issue is better known for the first appearance of Robert E. Howard's character Kull of Atlantis.  The story, The Shadow Kingdom, is considered one of Howard's best, and is also considered the first sword and sorcery story, so it's quite an important issue.

M1755HIh.jpg

REARaJLh.jpg

Bz7ZDn7h.jpg

This right here! This right here is why I read the boards. A master class in comicsology. Wonderful piece of information!