• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist that everyone likes?

134 posts in this topic

Now, is everyone going to say "That is my favorite artist" about a single person? Of course not, but I think what we're really asking with this question, is who is an artist that no one dislikes.

Who dislikes Adams or Wrightson? I haven't met them.

I'm pretty sure I've encountered at least one post on this board that said Neal Adams was overrated. No idea who Wrightson is.

Besides, just because you don't hate someone's art doesn't mean you automatically like it. There is such a thing as apathy. (shrug)

This too. Was thinking that when someone threw Dave Sim out there. Serviceable, but doesn't excite me.

And in the blasphemy camp, I don't get what's so awesome about Darwyn Cooke's cartoons. But I am not an artist, either. I think he tells a good story, but the images themselves are more like cartoon frames.

Is the fact that Dave Sim is very highly regarded as an artist just one of those things I've somehow never heard before?

Now, is everyone going to say "That is my favorite artist" about a single person? Of course not, but I think what we're really asking with this question, is who is an artist that no one dislikes.

I'm pretty sure I've encountered at least one post on this board that said Neal Adams was overrated. No idea who Wrightson is.

Besides, just because you don't hate someone's art doesn't mean you automatically like it. There is such a thing as apathy. (shrug)

This too. Was thinking that when someone threw Dave Sim out there. Serviceable, but doesn't excite me.

And in the blasphemy camp, I don't get what's so awesome about Darwyn Cooke's cartoons. But I am not an artist, either. I think he tells a good story, but the images themselves are more like cartoon frames.

Is the fact that Dave Sim is very highly regarded as an artist just one of those things I've somehow never heard before?

Well certainly don't look at ME....I was just responding to him being thrown out there....sure his work (arguably Moreso his writing) has a cult fan-base, but if we're using SquareChaos' definition of a skilled draftsman whom other artists would say one could learn from...uh not so much...

Well certainly don't look at ME....I was just responding to him being thrown out there....sure his work (arguably Moreso his writing) has a cult fan-base, but if we're using SquareChaos' definition of a skilled draftsman whom other artists would say one could learn from...uh not so much...

I'm serious, I have literally never heard anyone ever refer to Dave Sims as one of those type of artists. I don't mean anything by it, I'm just actually curious.

Even on the writing side, it seems like most can't help themselves to add how he 'went crazy' at some point.

I'm serious, I have literally never heard anyone ever refer to Dave Sims as one of those type of artists. I don't mean anything by it, I'm just actually curious.

Even on the writing side, it seems like most can't help themselves to add how he 'went crazy' at some point.

I realize you're serious, I am agreeing with you. Someone threw him out there and I was just trying to point out that though someone might produce a popular work but necessarily possess elite-level skill at their craft. It's like KISS...they sold a lot of records but no one, even themselves, calls them talented musicians.

The corollary is what you were saying before about a certain baseline of talent....though to ignore it is not lack of taste but lack of understanding of the core skills...the music analogy I'd use here is Rush...one may or may or find them to one's taste, but no one complains of their lack of technical skill.

I realize you're serious, I am agreeing with you. Someone threw him out there and I was just trying to point out that though someone might produce a popular work but necessarily possess elite-level skill at their craft. It's like KISS...they sold a lot of records but no one, even themselves, calls them talented musicians.

The corollary is what you were saying before about a certain baseline of talent....though to ignore it is not lack of taste but lack of understanding of the core skills...the music analogy I'd use here is Rush...one may or may or find them to one's taste, but no one complains of their lack of technical skill.

Gotcha.

34y4riv.jpg

Almost as impressive, he's still doing it all these years later at a high level.

8754ee598cc7b2887b7be46878b22185.jpg

Gorgeous. I certainly favor his style and execution.

IMO, the greatest comic book artist of all time. Wish he had drawn a few BA Spidey's :cloud9:

batman244.jpg

tec412fc.jpg

228ad980-cc2a-4ddb-b259-a005b0e3cf5e_zps9f7f97b8.jpg

No arguments from me. My next door neighbor did the colors for the Batman 244 for Neal's book when he wanted the image to have more pop

Edited by Goldeneye