• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist that everyone likes?

134 posts in this topic

Art is such a subjective topic, to find one that is universally loved and appraised could be a tall order. Escpecially among us comic aficionados who can argue about who draws Nightwings jockstrap better. ;)

HA! :roflmao:

I can stop reading now...

I know this is the CG crowd, but how about Walt Kelly and Carl Barks?

And I have to +1 some of the nominations here. Adams was brilliant, the EC stable contained some wonder artists (Jack Davis and Al Williamson near the top) and Don Martin should be eveyone's favourite 'goofball' artist.

How is it posible that I got through 10 pages on this topic and no one has said "DITKO" yet? Like any of the more prolific artists of the 1950s and 1960s he had plenty of substandard work so please save that person_without_enough_empathy for another party. This is the story of Ditko: his highs were the highest, his best has remained unsurpassed.

How is it posible that I got through 10 pages on this topic and no one has said "DITKO" yet? Like any of the more prolific artists of the 1950s and 1960s he had plenty of substandard work so please save that person_without_enough_empathy for another party. This is the story of Ditko: his highs were the highest, his best has remained unsurpassed.
Your comment somewhat just explained it. Many people saw the lows and they didn't like it. I think the idea is to find someone who falls in between best and worst and appeals to most.

Edit: A query for anyone, but does the average 15-25 year old know Ditko's work, and do they like it? It's radically different than what most have seen, I'd suspect.

Edited by steveinthecity

So I guess the idea is to find great artists that's aren't TOO unique in style (Sam Kieth or people with "cartoony" style, or Mckeans, or painters like James Jean or Ross etc etc) that they'd create a group that just don't vibe with but are still clearly not run of of the mill "just guy". So no Moebius, who no artist has a negative word to say about, because even tho he is a legend his style won't vibe with a lot of people who have more standard tastes.

For this reason I do like the Zeck mention and I'd throw in Michael Golden maybe. Perhaps Joe Kubert? I'd like to throw in Mark Schultz too.

Mazzucchelli?

I don't much care for Ditko :shrug:

Never did. But I don't actively dislike him.

Wayne Boring

Carmine Infantino

Darwyn Cooke

Bob Kane

No love for the man who took Superman from the 40s through the 80s?

.... he was my favorite Superman artist....... though Byrne did a formidable also. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wayne Boring

Carmine Infantino

Darwyn Cooke

Bob Kane

No love for the man who took Superman from the 40s through the 80s?

.... he was my favorite Superman artist....... though Byrne did a formidable also. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

WHY didn't anyone ever tell him glasses do not go over the nose in crooked fashion the way he always drew them?

5jzjo7.jpg

He also drew quite a rotund Superman

28i3f2v.jpg

So no Moebius, who no artist has a negative word to say about, because even tho he is a legend his style won't vibe with a lot of people who have more standard tastes.

Absolutely brilliant artist, but a lot of his science-fiction work is probably too surreal / trippy for mainstream tastes.

I like Moebius but he's another artist that needs to learn to use black. A lot of his stuff looks like a coloring book.