• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boise Library and City Department of Arts & History seeks OA

5 posts in this topic

Boise Public Library, along with the Boise City Dept of Arts & History announced on Facebook they are seeking OA pages from comic creators. They go on to say the pages will go into the City's permanent art collection. I was tagged in the post, and my initial thought was this is really neat idea.

Then I read the comment about "you must own the copyright to the work" part, and I'm not sure what to say about this little snag.

If the intent is to display it, why is this important?

I can see this being necessary if someone tries to sell them comissioned works for copyrighted Marvel/DC characters the artists don't own themselves, or even to promote works by up and coming independent/self-published artists, but what OA would be acceptable? Trying to think out loud here, and if I'm understanding this correctly, even artwork coming directly from artists working for Marvel/DC wouldn't be eligeable unless it's a Kane Batman, Ditko Spidey, or Kirby Cap? ???

I know this is a touchy subject and I wanted to make it clear my intent was to broach this carefully with a point of reference, with no intention of slinging mud toward Boise or the people openly soliciting OA.

I'm asking because I haven't seen these unusual terms before in a public solicitation to purchase OA.

167573.jpg.f67c8e0a8fcd0511c6f9200707fcaa39.jpg

One of the reps here should contact them and find out what kind of stuff they want -- superhero, all ages humor, webcomic.

My views on library/museum/university donations have been aired, but this doesn't rub me as wrong because the institution is at least soliciting on their own. Hopefully, they have a clear idea of what they want.

Almost completely off topic, but it was so weird to see that including Lukas Ketner - I'm a fan, but there is relatively so little of his art... primarily Image Witch Doctor stuff... and to the best of my knowledge, there is no OA for that since he works digitally.

Anyway... I know, off topic.