• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, the blob said:

is it in the back room of a bbq place with a guitar repair shop in the front during the day?  I joke about my combo store, but I see it in my area (a different "fashionable" part of brooklyn)..the guitar repair shop/music lessons place with a bar, the bar with the flower shop in the front.  i seriously think a comic shop/bar might work except the bar with kids coming in for the comics could be an issue

Back of the old backery 

On 5/19/2017 at 9:11 AM, the blob said:

is it in the back room of a bbq place with a guitar repair shop in the front during the day?  I joke about my combo store, but I see it in my area (a different "fashionable" part of brooklyn)..the guitar repair shop/music lessons place with a bar, the bar with the flower shop in the front.  i seriously think a comic shop/bar might work except the bar with kids coming in for the comics could be an issue

It was an old bakery I think... Nunziata Backery?  Pretty sure the family I remember owned that one. 

Alright, another short update:

I've agreed verbally to a lease for a 1000 sq foot retail space (smaller than I wanted).  Lease is for 3 years, so if it doesn't work out, it won't be too bad!  Landlord is drawing up the lease and if all goes well I'll have the keys by Aug 1st!!

It was a tough decision to go smaller than I wanted.  Shop is 15 feet by 64 feet approximately.  No storage unless I  build a small wall in the back, which i may do just to put a few racks up.  This allows me to put tables in the back for the gamers and the comics up front, so the comic collectors don't have to deal as much with the gamers blocking them from looking at books.  It's located in a larger strip of stores that has a number of food places (I'm between a pizza place and a chinese food place, shop also has a stat health, cricket wireless, card shop (does not sell pokemon which is good for me), nail salon, hair cutter, cleaners, and about 10-15 other places.  I'm less than a 1/4 mile away from a movie theater (on the other side of the street).  There is good parking and the street is very busy with car traffic (not a foot traffic location unless you are in the strip).  The price was slightly higher than I had wanted.  I mulled it over for a few weeks, going back and forth with the landlord.  I was able to get 2 free months and the 3rd month at right around half price).  This will give me a bit of time to build back up some $$.  You always here location, location, location.  I chose location over price/size.  This may prove to be a bad decision or I may be a genius (more likely somewhere in between lol). 

If someone knows anyone at Diamond, can you have them call be back please?  Geez...I'm trying to speak to someone about comicsuite, left a message, 6 business days later they called back (I was out), called again, and waiting 4 days now for a call back...not making me want to buy your $6000 system...

I've decided to go alphabetically for the comics as per most of the suggestions.  While I thing there are pro's to both, the overwhelming majority of people I've spoken to think alphabetically is the way to go vs. by character.  I will still divide by Marvel/DC/Independent but will not divide up the independent (other than Valiant which is already done).  

The last 2 weeks I've worked on "organizing" books for the shop.  This process took longer than expected and was more aggravating than I thought.  I already had Marvel/DC/and Independent seperated.  I also had the Silver and Bronze stuff seperated out.  Each box was already newly bagged and boarded, and each box was alphabetized in an of itself.  So I take out my 50 boxes of copper-modern Marvel to start.  I have new books (about 20 boxes-last 5 years stuff) and about 30 boxes of copper stuff that I collected back in the day infused with 20 or so small collections I've purchased over the years.  My thought process was to make the boxes "store ready", meaning 1) bagged and boarded, 2) alphabetized 3) Dividers used 4) No more than 2 copies of any book 5) priced and ready to be put out.  One thing to point out at this juncture is I have not really bought any new books since the late 90's.  I've picked up a few here and there, but have not collected runs of anything. ( I "left" comics for a while in the 2000's to get married, have kids, and I focused mostly on MTG...).  After starting to combine the boxes I was having difficulty with the #'s (as there were multiple # 2's, non-variant, just different series with the same title...really Marvel...Punisher has 10 different volumes??  I like my stuff organized, so I spent way too much time creating dividers for each and every different volume.  My favorite is when they start over at 1, go back to original numbering, start over at 1, changed title (I'm looking at you Hulk!!).  I've done 1-4 and am up to 5 now...I'm doing all this while pulling stuff for Eternal Con next weekend as well.  I have not started pricing books yet.  I've spoken to a few shop owners, one goes only by Ebay, one goes by Ebay for keys and Overstreet for non-keys (he has frequent back issue sales).

It seems much easier to use Overstreet (and with possibly opening in August, easy looks good right now), but at the same time, I don't want to alienate people with higher prices...what are the boards thoughts?  Any shop owners out there with advice?

Sorry to cut this short (LMFAO) but time got away from me and I have to take my son to his baseball game...I'll keep updating, and let you know when Diamond decides to call me back!!!

Thanks for listening and keep the suggestions coming!!  Getting excited and nervous for the journey!

Have you been checking online for bankruptcy auctions?  Lots of stores go out and their fixtures sell for pennies on the dollar. Quite often, guys with trucks hang out at these and you can hire them to load them and transport them for you.

You haven't really bought any "new books" since the late 90s, but you have 20 boxes of them from the last 5 years?  A total gap from 2000-2012?

Sounds exciting.  Location over the extra square footage every time.  One shop I go to has a tiny space, I doubt more than 400 square feet, but he manages to support an upper middle class lifestyle and 2 employees on it due to location. Just need to make it so that you don't feel too cramped and claustrophobic.  64 feet deep is pretty deep.  you can do a lot with that.

I like the books to be in alphabetical order but I wouldn't worry to much about being as precise as you are trying to be. I'd do it for my personal collection, but I really don't expect that from my store. As long as the Hulks are with the Hulks, etc. I'm good. I'm sure there are other areas that you could focus your attention on.

As for pricing, when using OSPG you take a chance on missing something that's "recently hot" (recent example being ASM 361) but it does sound easier. EBay would probably give you the most recent sales data, but is way more time consuming and you find yourself competing pricewise with anonymous internet sales data. I think as long as you're trying to be fair with your pricing you'll be alright, but it doesn't sound easy.

Thanks for the updates. I really love seeing them.

1 minute ago, DeadOne said:

I like the books to be in alphabetical order but I wouldn't worry to much about being as precise as you are trying to be. I'd do it for my personal collection, but I really don't expect that from my store. As long as the Hulks are with the Hulks, etc. I'm good. I'm sure there are other areas that you could focus your attention on.

As for pricing, when using OSPG you take a chance on missing something that's "recently hot" (recent example being ASM 361) but it does sound easier. EBay would probably give you the most recent sales data, but is way more time consuming and you find yourself competing pricewise with anonymous internet sales data. I think as long as you're trying to be fair with your pricing you'll be alright, but it doesn't sound easy.

Thanks for the updates. I really love seeing them.

I agree completely with this since once your store opens, you'll have lots of customers putting books in the wrong place anyways---so don't stress over this.  The only time everything will probably be organized is right before you open the store for the very first time.  

As to OSPG vs eBay??  I like what DeadOne says---IE "as long as you are being fair in your pricing, you'll be alright"---I could not agree more.  Some shops I go to price all their stuff off of eBay....and that can be a savage burn.  I don't even go into some stores anymore given their crappy pricing history---I couldn't care less what they have for sale.  BUT....you also have bills to pay since you have more overhead than an eBay store---sometimes straddling that fence between OSPG and eBay needs to be done.  Just be fair and try your best to be consistent in your approach so your customers know what to expect.  

The "Golden Rule" continues to work;  If your customers feel like they have been treated well, they will come back.  

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Have you been checking online for bankruptcy auctions?  Lots of stores go out and their fixtures sell for pennies on the dollar. Quite often, guys with trucks hang out at these and you can hire them to load them and transport them for you.

I have not, that is a great idea, thanks!!  I have been looking at closed locations and trolling facebook and craigslist though.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

You haven't really bought any "new books" since the late 90s, but you have 20 boxes of them from the last 5 years?  A total gap from 2000-2012?

Sounds exciting.  Location over the extra square footage every time.  One shop I go to has a tiny space, I doubt more than 400 square feet, but he manages to support an upper middle class lifestyle and 2 employees on it due to location. Just need to make it so that you don't feel too cramped and claustrophobic.  64 feet deep is pretty deep.  you can do a lot with that.

I haven't collected for myself, other than to re-sell since the late 90's, I have picked up collections which have books from that 2000-2012 gap, I picked up a 20 box collection that had the books from the last 5 years...so, overall, my lightest area from copper on up is that 2000-2012 range...but I do have books from that era.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:21 PM, Mackenzie999 said:

Another vote for alphabetical organization, which everyone already understands and will prevent problems arising from things like team-up situations where you have more than one possible hero to associate a book with.

Additionally, something else I would recommend: for the better books that you keep either on the wall or behind the counter, bag and board a xerox copy of the cover along with price and file it in with the available stock in the appropriate spot. My LCS keeps anything pricey behind the counter out of sight. I get that he's protecting the books, but having to ask about every book I'm interested in is tedious for everyone involved, and kills any spontaneous purchases that I might not ask about.

This may be a common idea, but I've never seen it (admittedly I don't hit many LCS's or cons)

This is a good idea but I'd also like to see a kiosk that allows me to search the inventory.  Why flip through books looking for what is available?  With a kiosk, I can lookup what you have and see the condition and price.

ebay vs. OSPG?

what are you going to price your run of the mill filler stock at?  overstreet would make it unsellable if you make it all $3-$5. but if you make stuff worth bagging and boarding $2, crappier stuff goes in the $1 or less box.  the $2 stuff can be discounted 25-50% once or twice a year in a sale announced to everyone on your email list to try and move it.

if you price decent stuff that has not seen an ebay spike at overstreet with people understanding you round down for multiple purchases and are willing to negotiate, i think that might be useful. you want people buying a stack.  if you cut the price, then so be it.

5 hours ago, the blob said:

ebay vs. OSPG?

what are you going to price your run of the mill filler stock at?  overstreet would make it unsellable if you make it all $3-$5. but if you make stuff worth bagging and boarding $2, crappier stuff goes in the $1 or less box.  the $2 stuff can be discounted 25-50% once or twice a year in a sale announced to everyone on your email list to try and move it.

if you price decent stuff that has not seen an ebay spike at overstreet with people understanding you round down for multiple purchases and are willing to negotiate, i think that might be useful. you want people buying a stack.  if you cut the price, then so be it.

Agree.  There are plenty of books I buy for a dollar that I would've been happy buying at $2-3 each, so don't short yourself right away.

If you're going to run your own store, be the authority and set your own pricing.  Annotate your Overstreet so you know where you want to be on things.  Strict Overstreet pricing tells customers that they're not getting any deals by shopping with you, and that can be a turn off.

Remind people that Overstreet is a guide, and not a rule.  You're allowed to be over Overstreet, if you can defend the price, and use your salesmanship.  Like "why are your Amazing Spideys so expensive?"  "They're highly collectible, and it's harder for me to find Spidey runs than some other titles.  If you want to get something cheaper in the same genre, have you tried Firestorm?  I price those at a dollar, but they're a great read, John Ostrander is one of my favorite writers..."

Excuse me if someone already spoke to this, but because I just went through it yesterday thought I'd mention it here...

I travel a few times a month for work.  When I know I'll have a few hours to kill I search for stores to visit while I'm out of town.  I like to visit stores that have back issues and a nice selection of graphic novels, toys, statues, maybe art, etc.  But back issues are a must for me because I don't really collect anything modern.  I was supposed to be in Albany, NY today (flight was canceled), so was looking at stores online last night.  My suggestion to you is that if you have an online presence please give us some idea of what you have in your store.  Doesn't have to be a catalog of books, but a simple "we carry current and back issue comics".  Or better yet, maybe give a little more info on the scope/depth of what you carry...like "we carry current, bronze, and occasionally silver age comic books, plus statues, games, MTG...".  Help me spend my money in your store, you know?

More often that one may guess, a store's website is lacking this (obvious to me) info.  I then search this forum (good practice anyway) to glean info about the store.  I'll also read online reviews and scan pictures to see if any posters mention/show back issues.  I'd much rather save myself some time and get this info from the store's website, but sometimes it's just not there for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Andahaion said:

Excuse me if someone already spoke to this, but because I just went through it yesterday thought I'd mention it here...

I travel a few times a month for work.  When I know I'll have a few hours to kill I search for stores to visit while I'm out of town.  I like to visit stores that have back issues and a nice selection of graphic novels, toys, statues, maybe art, etc.  But back issues are a must for me because I don't really collect anything modern.  I was supposed to be in Albany, NY today (flight was canceled), so was looking at stores online last night.  My suggestion to you is that if you have an online presence please give us some idea of what you have in your store.  Doesn't have to be a catalog of books, but a simple "we carry current and back issue comics".  Or better yet, maybe give a little more info on the scope/depth of what you carry...like "we carry current, bronze, and occasionally silver age comic books, plus statues, games, MTG...".  Help me spend my money in your store, you know?

More often that one may guess, a store's website is lacking this (obvious to me) info.  I then search this forum (good practice anyway) to glean info about the store.  I'll also read online reviews and scan pictures to see if any posters mention/show back issues.  I'd much rather save myself some time and get this info from the store's website, but sometimes it's just not there for whatever reason.

Honestly, if you have a website up why not list your most expensive 50-100 books or whatever for sale on it?  Probably won't sell much this way, but people will see you have stuff.

Advertise in advance around your surrounding area with flyers announcing when you are opening maybe offer the first 30 a free comic. As the above poster said I would use social media to the full, look for Youtube / Facebook channels that travel for comics and give them a discount. Also advertise that you are interested in buying collections that could bring you an odd treasure of a comic. I wish you well.

So, here I am with another update!  I officially signed the lease!!!  3 year lease with a "good guy" clause (If I decide I want out after 1 year, I can forfeit my deposit (2 months rent) and only pay for the months that I am open.  Hopefully this won't be the case, but you never know what life brings.  I was able to get 2 1/2 months free which will help me getting started.

I've spent the last month working on a few things.

1) Working out the details on the lease, we went back and forth and I got most of what I wanted.

2) I did Eternal Con in July (Nassau Coliseum), while it wasn't the greatest show, I did get a bunch of email addresses, and advertised that we would be opening in August.  Spoke to a number of other store owners and got some contact info for some artists to possibly be there for the grand opening or for other monthly events.  

3) I got signed up with Diamond and made my first comic order :whatthe:  It was relatively small, but I did work with another store owner on the order and he guided me through what he orders and I ordered about a 1/4 of that and left some stuff off that he just orders for individuals.   Still nerve racking as I'm doing this order AND I have to have the next in before I open.  The 3rd will be after I'm open for a week or 2... You get  a pretty significant discount the first few months so that is helpful.  I also ordered some POP figures and some Vinimates (look like larger Lego figures).  I passed on the toys that were offered due to the price AND the available space I will have...I ordered some of the top Graphic Novels (Watchmen, Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, Marvels, Killing Joke, etc.)  About 25 in all.  One of the cool things is that the publishers (Marvel, DC, Image, IDW, and Dark Horse) all send "welcome" packages (for lack of a better word) for no charge other than shipping!!  Probably about 1.5-2K retail all told.  These include older Variant Covers (nothing overly exciting from what I saw, but, hey, free is a good price!) and Trade Paperbacks (about 50+).  The DC package is the best of the group IMHO.  

I am STILL waiting on a call back from Diamond about their POS system.  I have now placed 3 calls without a call back.  I called my rep and explained that if I did not get a call back this week I would move on to another POS system.  Very frustrating.  

4) A game shop in my area, is unfortunately closing.  But, thankfully, they are selling their fixtures!  I am currently working out pricing, but the prices I've seen so far have been decent.  I will be able to furnish the location about 70%.  I will still need some slat wall and some shelving along with comic bins (see my WTB in the WTB thread), but this gets me more than 1/2 way there.

5) I have been drawing up different layouts for the last week and have realized that 1000 square feet is small!!  LMFAO...I have so many things I want to do and not nearly enough space to do it in.  I have revised the layout at least a dozen times, but I think I have it down...(plans are based on my buying "new" comic bins so I used the dimensions of those, but may change if I can get my hands on some used ones).  I have the gaming tables in the back and comics in the front so as not to have the gamer's mulling around when the comic guys are trying to search through books.  Once I get the bins and their dimensions I will draw a final layout and post it here for feedback.

6) Insurance industry must be rocking as I've reached out to multiple agencies about business insurance and have not gotten 1 call back LOL.  All were recommended by local collectible shops in my area.  I've also called a few Credit Card processing companies and learned a lot about how everyone likes to take a piece of your $$.  Makes you want to run a cash only business (I know this isn't possible, but i can dream).

7) Security System/Cameras, Signs, all in the works.  Once I get the place I will work on internet, phone and getting the heat/electric over in my name.  I am thinking about upgrading all lighting to energy efficient, but I have do to a cost/savings analysis to see if it's worth it.

8)  I have started working on pricing books...man this is tedious...this is mostly back issue stock ($1-$5 books), most of the good stuff has been priced for shows, but I have found a few decent books in the boxes as I go.  Taking longer than I expected, but I should be done in plenty of time.  Have about 50 boxes left.  Should be done in 2 weeks if I do 3-4 boxes a day.

9) Spoke with Billy Tucci about coming down possibly for the grand opening if he is available, but he may be on vacation.  We will see how the timing works out.  I also went to Jersey and stopped by the Secret Stash, they were filming at the time (couldn't get in, I tried lol).  Spoke to one of the cast members about making an appearance as well, so we will see where that leads...I'll keep ya posted as I get more info.  

10) Wifey is working on social media (mostly facebook, but will be updating website/twitter/instagram in the coming week.  We are going to be printing up flyers and handing them out to businesses in the area.  I will be going to the movie theater across the street this week to see what I can do about some advertising...maybe even getting a spot on the big screen before superhero movies in those ad's that nobody watches before the previews lol.  Would love to be able to work out something with them, but we will see how that goes.

Money is going quicker than I expected (but I kind of expected that?!?!) LOL...but I'm still in decent shape.  If I have to buy new comic bins, that will be an expense I was hoping to avoid.  But it is what it is.  

I feel like I'm doing 20 different things a day as it gets closer to the grand opening (which will be determined by when the old tenant finally leaves.)(hoping to be open by the 15th or so of August, but may be a week later, depending on how long the work I need to to takes).  Their are days when I'm tired and wondering why I am doing all this, and there are days when I'm excited for the possibilities ahead!!  I have not gotten truly excited as there is so much work involved.  I am doing my best to cross all the t's and dot the i's, so there aren't any major problems.  It's tiring (and I haven't even opened yet!!), but hopefully I will get into a rhythm after the opening.  

Going back to pricing some more books now, lol.

Thanks again for reading the update, and as always, comments, suggestions, and opinions both positive and opportunistic are encouraged!!

P.S. As I mentioned in the WTB thread, anyone with a lead on comic bins that leads to a purchase will receive $100 store credit!  Thanks!

@Genesis Comics

Glad your giving it a shot!! You have my prayer's :) Sounds like your excited and taking things in stride :) Your keeping a good attitude and that will be a welcoming atmosphere to those who stop by :) Glad you got some preperation and some of the intracacies under your belt :) Hoping for all the BEST!!!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Good luck.   Regarding the space/layout, are you doing this on your own or have you consulted the wife on that aspect?   

My wife is so much better at figuring out what works in what spaces in our home(s).  

Regarding space, you can save it by going vertical.  If you were to take a long box and cut it into 5 pieces and stagger them vertically, you can cut its footprint by at least 1/3.  You can put the more expensive stuff or stuff you don't want handled too much up high.

You can also try local fabricators to custom build you something.  It'll probably cost more, but it'll be tailored to your store.  If you have a maker space in your area, it might be a good source for that.