• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

Stay Diligent @Genesis Comics the reward will be that much sweeter!

Yes life happens, good job on pushing through :) thoughts and prayers are with you, sounds like you've encountered most anything that "can" happen in the line of work ha. Now that you have that experience, it should be hopefully easier next time and sounds like you handled it pretty well this time ^^

Sounds like you've been awful busy while dealing with family issues.  Not easy to own your own business.  Glad you got through it.

Sounds like your weakest market is comics.  Consider creating a 50% off section and blow out everything that isn't key, build a reputation for deals and move inventory that isn't selling well.  Hopefully you'll also drive traffic and attract new file customers.

52 minutes ago, Genesis Comics said:

Had my first sweet book come in...a very clean ASM 129...probably and 8.5 but IMHO can press to 9 + as there are a number of NCB creases on back cover...girl, who's dad passed, had no idea of values...explained to her that this was a valuable book and gave her a few hundred for it...she says he has boxes of books at home and she will bring them in...she said lot's of early Spiderman books...we will see...

While it’s great that you’ll make a tidy profit on that deal, I have to wonder if that sort of thing won’t come around to bite you. An 8.5-9.0 ASM #129 is going to be  selling for around $1200-1900 these days. If the seller finds out the current FMV, she may not be so inclined to offer more books since a few hundred dollars is but a fraction of that.

11 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

While it’s great that you’ll make a tidy profit on that deal, I have to wonder if that sort of thing won’t come around to bite you. An 8.5-9.0 ASM #129 is going to be  selling for around $1200-1900 these days. If the seller finds out the current FMV, she may not be so inclined to offer more books since a few hundred dollars is but a fraction of that.

I should have been more clear...when i said a few hundred I meant $600...I explained that I would be getting the book graded and that there was a cost associated with that...I valued the book at 1000-1200 and explained that I generally pay 50-75% for keys...she understood the value and understood I had to make $$ as well!

11 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
1 hour ago, Genesis Comics said:

Had my first sweet book come in...a very clean ASM 129...probably and 8.5 but IMHO can press to 9 + as there are a number of NCB creases on back cover...girl, who's dad passed, had no idea of values...explained to her that this was a valuable book and gave her a few hundred for it...she says he has boxes of books at home and she will bring them in...she said lot's of early Spiderman books...we will see...

its a tough one either way, IF she's inclined to look it up after the fact.  Either she'll be mad you offered her so little, or she'll expect 70-80%% of FMV on all the rest of the non-keys she selling too.  If she looks it up, you're probably boned either way.  I'd give her the fair but lower offer up front (as the OP did), just in case she's in the mood to negotiate.  Its already hard enough to get a non-comic person to come BACK to the shop.  Its possible that it backfires, but you'll probably never know either way.  But I expect everyone is a little different on those types of things, and experience will help one develop a methodology.

Each deal and person is different.  And you can't win every deal.  Some folks are thrilled to get 50% of value they just want to sell.  Others are trying to sell Wolverine #1......