• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

I agree with @01TheDude
I really hope that you are getting the landlord to compensate you for the repairs to his building. Probably not for the upfront costs, since it's all last minute, but something on the backend to make it right ( X amount of free rent for example) for all the work and $$ you're putting into his building.

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

it seems that so much of this work you are doing is something the landlord should be responsible for in the first place. Somewhere earlier in this thread was a link to the guy showing videos of what he negotiated with his landlord that included getting the space ready for move in-- including walls, ceiling, and floors. Seems like you are doing all of that on your own dime. That makes sense if you own the property -- not so much if you are leasing. And this previous tenant is a real PITA imo. Get your out of there already goofball. Yeah Yeah-- leaving you some nice things from his old store but why is he dragging his feet on getting this stuff out of the way. He should have been out of there 2 weeks ago.

I look at it like moving into an apartment-- the landlord is responsible for having the place ready to move in-- including removing the previous tenant, fresh coat of paint and no holes in the walls, working electrical though out, no issue with the floors or replace the floors if there are issues. Unless you negotiated that away, how is this landlord getting away with this slipshod treatment putting all the burdens on you and never meeting a single promise made in a timely fashion.

Sorry-- hope that doesn't get you mad. I just see you might be getting screwed while the guy is smiling at you and acting friendly.

Not mad at all.  I negotiated the rent price down based on what I was going to do and also negotiated no CAM charges as well...I was taking care of floors and walls, he was ceilings and making sure all was in working order...got a significant discount on the rent, which will make up for my layout about 1/2 way through the 2nd year.  Lot's of places were "as is" that I looked at.  Like you, I originally thought the landlord took care of all that stuff, but in my search for a place that wasn't the case in 75% or more of them...the ones that "got it move in ready" were unwilling to negotiate on the rent, CAM charges etc.  Maybe not the best deal on my part after I saw the work involved, but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Genesis Comics said:
10 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

it seems that so much of this work you are doing is something the landlord should be responsible for in the first place. Somewhere earlier in this thread was a link to the guy showing videos of what he negotiated with his landlord that included getting the space ready for move in-- including walls, ceiling, and floors. Seems like you are doing all of that on your own dime. That makes sense if you own the property -- not so much if you are leasing. And this previous tenant is a real PITA imo. Get your out of there already goofball. Yeah Yeah-- leaving you some nice things from his old store but why is he dragging his feet on getting this stuff out of the way. He should have been out of there 2 weeks ago.

I look at it like moving into an apartment-- the landlord is responsible for having the place ready to move in-- including removing the previous tenant, fresh coat of paint and no holes in the walls, working electrical though out, no issue with the floors or replace the floors if there are issues. Unless you negotiated that away, how is this landlord getting away with this slipshod treatment putting all the burdens on you and never meeting a single promise made in a timely fashion.

Sorry-- hope that doesn't get you mad. I just see you might be getting screwed while the guy is smiling at you and acting friendly.

Not mad at all.  I negotiated the rent price down based on what I was going to do and also negotiated no CAM charges as well...I was taking care of floors and walls, he was ceilings and making sure all was in working order...got a significant discount on the rent, which will make up for my layout about 1/2 way through the 2nd year.  Lot's of places were "as is" that I looked at.  Like you, I originally thought the landlord took care of all that stuff, but in my search for a place that wasn't the case in 75% or more of them...the ones that "got it move in ready" were unwilling to negotiate on the rent, CAM charges etc.  Maybe not the best deal on my part after I saw the work involved, but it is what it is.

even so, these extra days where the prior tenant is leaving his stuff...the rent should be split.

I get the difficulty telling off the previous tenant when he's giving you some "free stuff"... but I do think you could suggest urgency in the right tone... maybe something like:

"I appreciate you leaving me certain items, but I really need you to come move your stuff today. We are already really behind schedule (as I was expecting everything to be moved out last week). I've been working around your stuff as much as possible, but we're at the point now where your items are keeping my contractors from doing their work, which is costing me more money. If you can't come get pick it up, I'm going to have to move it outside where I can't be held responsible for it."

Keep reminding yourself why you're doing this, that this is fun (maybe "Type 2 Fun"), and a month from now you'll hardly remember the stress!

Ahh-- makes much more sense and sorry if you had mentioned those negotiation details previously. Must be weird having the other guy also having a key. Might consider having the locks changed once he is totally out of there-- not that he is a thief but you just never know what might happen.

All in all though-- we are all wishing you much success. I remember the first time I read the title for your thread and thought (as many probably did) - the answer is DON'T!

What this thread really needs is some pictures though so if you get a minute or two-- either send them to another boardie (to post) or post them yourself.

52 minutes ago, revat said:

even so, these extra days where the prior tenant is leaving his stuff...the rent should be split.

IIRC, the first two months rent are free already. And the cost of that display case seems to cover the various inconveniences. All in all-- with this many balls in the air, things seem to progressing as best as can be expected.

As for the Comic Club thing, I'm not sure if you're strictly talking about a buyer incentive program, or a pull list, or both.

I have a pull list at my preferred LCS. There's no cost to join, I think you have to get at least three titles, and you get 15% off all new books. You are expected to pick everything up within 30 days, I believe.

Another LCS I frequent has a buyer rewards program, a "Spree Card", where you get a punch/sticker on a card for every $50 you spend, and after you spend $250, you get a $50 gift card to the store.

On 8/16/2017 at 0:48 AM, 01TheDude said:

In my experience with warehouse/shop space, commercial doesn't work that way.  At the shop I split with some friends, we had to do all the infrastructure for the space.  Removing the old tenant not included though, that's pretty BS

21 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

IIRC, the first two months rent are free already. And the cost of that display case seems to cover the various inconveniences. All in all-- with this many balls in the air, things seem to progressing as best as can be expected.

Even if the first two months is free, Genesis can (and IMO should) consider telling this dude that starting next week, he'll have to pay a storage fee for his mess that isn't out of there.  And make it cost more than a public storage place or end up in the storage business.

Edited by SteppinRazor

11 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

In my experience with warehouse/shop space, commercial doesn't work that way.  At the shop I split with some friends, we had to do all the infrastructure for the space.  Removing the old tenant not included though, that's pretty BS

Even if the first two months is free, Genesis can (and IMO should) consider telling this dude that starting next week, he'll have to pay a storage fee for his mess that isn't out of there.  And make it cost more than a public storage place or end up in the storage business.

Yeah, it's pretty aggravating...the landlord was getting agitated as well...he has an empty store in another location that he told him to move his stuff to...He's 98% out now...just a few things in my storage area that doesn't affect me for the next few days...He has a truck coming tomorrow to pick up what's left and all the trash outside.  

Sorry for the lack of an update yesterday...started at 7:30 and didn't end till 11:00...going to settle in a bit and hopefully fill you guys in about the last 2 days...no major issues, still mostly on schedule...took a bunch of pictures...we'll see if I can get them uploaded here...be back in a bit...

1 hour ago, Genesis Comics said:

Sorry for the lack of an update yesterday...started at 7:30 and didn't end till 11:00...going to settle in a bit and hopefully fill you guys in about the last 2 days...no major issues, still mostly on schedule...took a bunch of pictures...we'll see if I can get them uploaded here...be back in a bit...

Sounds like a lot of long hours and hard work at getting your shop up and running.  I bet it'll be very rewarding once you're open.

1 hour ago, Genesis Comics said:

Would love to see pics, should be able to just drag them from your computer and drop them into this thread.

In the future whenever i think of opening any type of collectible store, I will read this thread and put an end to the thought.  The money appears to be in vaping lol

Picture # 1 is where we are as of yesterday...this is looking from the back of the store towards the front.  Painting took a bit longer and we decided to leave a bit early as there were a bunch of long days previous and there is still no AC and it was 80+ degrees inside all day, have a long few days ahead so wanted to get a good nights sleep...the back of the store is primed and is being painted this morning.

Picture # 2 is the bottom of the "bat-pole" with the junction box.  I've come up with a work around so the landlord doesn't have to pay for the removal, in exchange he will be getting a new AC unit as opposed to fixing the old one.  I will take pictures of the before and after once it's complete sometime next week.

Picture # 4 is pointing towards the back of the store and to the ceiling obviously...Picture # 3 is where we are at after some of the ceiling tiles had been replaced...still have another dozen or so to do...either today or tomorrow for that.

Heading out to pick up all the fixtures in a few...long 2-3 days ahead...I'll do my best to keep updated and I'll take plenty of pics...my wife has been posting on facebook updates as well if you want to follow and like the page Genesis Comics and Gaming...

Couple of more quick things...I was able to get the Diamond POS system overnighted, so that will be here soon.  Merchant Svcs, insurance, gas, electric, phone and internet all taken care of or in the works.  Picked up a big order from my distributor yesterday, mostly supplies (bags/boards/deck boxes/sleeves etc) Phone/internet hooked up...phone # is 631-471-HULK (4855), carpet installed in the back so floors are complete, walls will be done by this afternoon/evening and all fixtures (with the exception of some shelving for the storage area) will be in the space.  Slat wall will be hung on Monday morning as  I need help with that.  I'll be bringing inventory in all weekend and I am hoping that by Monday evening I will be merchandised well enough for a slow opening on Tuesday...

Luckily there are flash flood warnings and it's supposed to rain all day as I'm taking the fixtures in today lol.  

I have to admire you for your optimism however it's no good cutting your ribbon and then dropping dead from the stress. Take care and remember it's YOUR dream you set the red lines...Your health's your wealth.  I know you have plans but there's no sense in rushing things why not push the opening back to Friday for a chance to catch your breath.

I do not know if you have done this yet - but it is pretty easy to become a BCW distributor ( heck - they even let me become one). Prices really drop - especially if you order enough for free shipping. Obviously not everyone likes their bags/boards - and the free shipping requires a $1K order - but the price is sure right.

7 minutes ago, W16227 said:

I do not know if you have done this yet - but it is pretty easy to become a BCW distributor ( heck - they even let me become one). Prices really drop - especially if you order enough for free shipping. Obviously not everyone likes their bags/boards - and the free shipping requires a $1K order - but the price is sure right.

should just get the bags and boards from diamond.

actually think it's cheaper per bag and board with diamond.