• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

Make your shop into a giant man cave with lots of unique items.
I dont know why more people dont do this. I'm going on 6 years this May. Avoid new comics is my advice as well.

junk -

you have (or had, i dunno) a very low rent space. basically what a big storage locker would cost in long island. i know, because i was paying $200 a month for one on long island and it wasn't even all that big, the good size ones cost what you quoted as your rent.

rent is going to be what kills him if it kills him out there, assuming he doesn't make terrible ordering decisions.

on the flip side, you can always drive an uber at night.

I'm with gcstomp on this too. I don't see how rent can be paid. Financials are everything.

Give us an example month and how you would cover bills and then make an extra $2000 profit.

Rent $1800

Utilities $300

Inventory or COGS $3000

Wages (if any) $500

Insurance, supplies etc $200

Sales $8,000

And then outline by $100 how you are getting those sales. That's $2000 a week or $300 a day ($400/day if open 5 days) That's really hard to do IMO. MTG? Old comics? Snacks?

Bingo. My friend had a shop in Manhattan. It was small, but he he packed it with inventory. Cards, comics (new and back issues), toys, etc. Yes, it was on a side street, so you'd have to know it was there unless you happened to walk by, but then again, it was in an incredibly affluent area near a school or three, as well as a university (Fordham midtown). Heck, the Congressman used to bring his kid in there! His rent was actually low..he was paying less than $1500 a month, in Manhattan! (He got the lease at the bottom of the market in like 1990)

When things were good he was doing great. But by the time the late 90s came along, he was having a lot of $150 days outside of new comics day and saturday (he closed sunday, he had kids he wanted to see). This was in Manhattan, in a rich area full of kids and no other comic shop for 2 miles in either direction. The same place that used to give him $500-$750 days regularly and allow him to have an employee. He decided it was pointless to continue, continued selling on ebay, and got a job as a manager in a store (not comics), even though he had 2 years left on his lease.

As others have pointed out, don't do it. I know a dealer who does part of his business buying stock from failing comic stores. He says that business is brisker than ever before, and he expects many LCS closures soon.

If you must...go online, and research how to develop a business plan. This has nothing specific to do with an LCS, but it is a vital thing for anybody to do before starting a new business. For some people, when they come to business plan questions they cannot answer, that is a big warning flag that the proposed venture will not go well.

Get a location within walking distance of a middle school or high school.

Do NOT blare offensive music inside the store. I have cut short my own visits to stores that play acid rock, liquid metal, cop killer rap, etc. Imagine how fast a mom shopping with her 10 year old will leave, and never come back.

You will need to decide if you focused on just new stuff, ie., you are just making a percentage on whatever your customers pre-order from Diamond; or if you will buy back issues. It seems there are ever fewer stores that deal in back issues, so that could be a differentiator. If you buy back issues, tell yourself you do NOT need to buy everything that is offered to you. There is little or no market for many back issues, particularly in low grade.

Good retailers figure out soon that product must move out the door. Everybody makes a bad purchase sometimes, and ends up with 100 copies of X-Force #1, poly bagged, platinum edition. It doesn't matter that you paid $5 each for them. If the market price is $1 each, sell them for that, and get rid of them. If you wait for them to come back up to $5, they will out-live you, and take up valuable space for years.

Staff (including you) need to have the same level of courtesy and grooming as anybody else in retail. Way too many owners and staff treat working at a comic store as a hobby. A new customer should be able to tell at a glance the difference between staff and other customers. Lanyards with staff's names in large print can be nice.

Similarly, your store is a place of business, not a clubhouse for any unemployed buddies to hang out all day talking your ear off. If they want to hangout, you and they can do that at someone's house after work. But here and now is WORK.

Good luck.

Haven't heard anyone answer the gaming space question. Gamers are like rats... they'll squeeze into small spaces, they leave filth behind them (wrappers, chewing gum, paper torn to confetti just because they're bored), and they'll damage everything they touch, especially your chairs. Comfort shouldn't be a consideration, they won't appreciate it, and they won't care.

If you can't wall them in, define the gaming space with landmarks or a different floor covering (not carpet, unless you adore vacuuming). Don't let them spill out into your sell space, it's already scary enough for a casual buyer to walk into a hobby store without being greeted by a bunch of stinky teenagers who are screaming and swearing. Confine and isolate them if you can.

+10000

If this is what you want to do, definitely do it.

I'd love to open up a shop some day, but I don't think that I could do it financially. My job pays pretty well, and I can't see me matching it as a comic shop owner for many, many years.

So I'll have my convention set-up and have fun doing that...

I truly think you need to have deep pockets when you start a small business. You need that cash reserve to weather the down times, which could take years, as you build you base, your clientele and your name. I am not sure $40K is enough in your case, unless you don't plan on paying yourself.

I truly think you need to have deep pockets when you start a small business. You need that cash reserve to weather the down times, which could take years, as you build you base, your clientele and your name. I am not sure $40K is enough in your case, unless you don't plan on paying yourself.

...I definitely wouldn't do it if I had a mortgage. I haven't seen a new shop make it around here in years.....those that are successful are long time entities that started off with decent clientele before they even opened the B&M doors. I don't see anything about the size of the OP's town or the amount of competition already present..... and one thing, if you're trying to survive from collectible's retail, that dream can quickly become a nightmare. One buddy who has a solid LCS around here kept his day job for almost 10 years before he felt comfortable depending solely on the shop. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Brian Hibbs has written an extensive series of articles starting as long ago as the early 1990's on his experience in Comic Book Retailing. It's called Tilting at Windmills.

I can't find the links at the moment, but they are a good read (if you haven't already).

* you can find volumes 1 and 2 of the collected editions at AMAZON

Edited by DeadOne

The only ones I see that seem to be working are the ones that seem to fill a special niche. I hope you can fill a special niche. Also, are you knowledgeable in the world of business or a fan who is winging it, or, obviously, something in between?

Brian Hibbs has written an extensive series of articles starting as long ago as the early 1990's on his experience in Comic Book Retailing. It's called Tilting at Windmills.

He opened in 1989 and he was quoted in the paper about a year or two ago saying he'd just had his best year ever. And he bought another store. A-1 Comics in Sacramento, very savvy, just opened his third store. We had two new stores open in my city (replacing the one that went out of business simply due to owner death) and they have both survived about six years now. A great new store opened about a year ago down the road from me in downtown Oakland. Yeah, stores go out but other stores can do well.

The key for stores in my metro area is basically sell trades. Churn the top 100 trades. Give good customer service. Don't overorder on the floppies--as Hibbs points out, every one copy you don't sell you have to sell four others to make up for it.

He opened in 1989 and he was quoted in the paper about a year or two ago saying he'd just had his best year ever. And he bought another store. A-1 Comics in Sacramento, very savvy, just opened his third store. We had two new stores open in my city (replacing the one that went out of business simply due to owner death) and they have both survived about six years now. A great new store opened about a year ago down the road from me in downtown Oakland. Yeah, stores go out but other stores can do well.

The key for stores in my metro area is basically sell trades. Churn the top 100 trades. Give good customer service. Don't overorder on the floppies--as Hibbs points out, every one copy you don't sell you have to sell four others to make up for it.

Interesting. I had theorized that stocking trades tied up too much working capital and put you directly in Amazon's crosshairs.

Interesting. I had theorized that stocking trades tied up too much working capital and put you directly in Amazon's crosshairs.

I think the modern concept of a 'comic book store' is impulse buys and modern floppies on Wednesday. I know many exist that do other things, but none that I've seen open in the last decade focus on much else if they do comics as a primary means of business. Most of them don't do comics as their primary focus though, they do MTG.

I was told by a store owner a few years ago that Amazon had just cut it's discount on a lot of trades. Also, when it started charging sales tax in CA that eliminated a lot of the difference (this store will discount up to 20%). As SquareChaos says, you go into the store, the employee recommends one or two of the top 100 trades they think you'll like, you buy one. The point of sale system automatically reorders one for your store. These places sell a ton of copies of DKR, Killing Joke, Watchmen, Saga, Fables, Infinity Gauntlet, etc.

Yeah, you are basically a showroom for Diamond either way... but it's not that much capital to have two copies of each of the top 100 trades.

Anyway, the OP said comics will be less than half the store, so he's really saying he's planning on opening a MTG store, which doesn't skimp on the comics. Everyone in the thread seems to agree that MTG stores have no problems. :)

There is always great advice in these "opening a store" threads but it sometimes reminds me of being in a fiction writing class and having your story workshopped. People will tell you what they want your story to be and not what you intend it to be. As in the workshops, you need to be able to decide what advice is helpful and what isn't.

Ie, to the OP, if you've put the time in, you really want to do it, you start small and as close to the bone as you can, in a good location with a good lease, why not try it? People love going into comic book stores. They clearly love playing in MTG tournaments.

The other thing about these kinds of threads is almost everyone on these boards collects back issues so they always say that's what they want to see in a store and they always suggest you just buy collections and do shows and ebay (because that's what most of them do). Ie, their ideas about comic book stores need to be taken with a grain of salt. Most stores don't carry back issues for a reason, but if you have back counter comics on shelves, it's amazing how much $$ you can pack into a tiny amount of space.

Speaking of space, info I gleaned from both Jamie Graham and Brian Peets is space is at a premium. You want to really pack it with material for sale. And Graham said none of his stores have back rooms. They are a constant drain on you, paying for that space and letting stuff stack up.

The other thing about these kinds of threads is almost everyone on these boards collects back issues so they always say that's what they want to see in a store and they always suggest you just buy collections and do shows and ebay (because that's what most of them do). Ie, their ideas about comic book stores need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Because if the store doesn't have back issues, outside of convenience due to proximity, there is no reason for someone to go there if their only interest is comics.

Most stores don't carry back issues for a reason

Because most store owners are lazy and are really doing nothing but running out the clock.

I think the modern concept of a 'comic book store' is impulse buys and modern floppies on Wednesday. I know many exist that do other things, but none that I've seen open in the last decade focus on much else if they do comics as a primary means of business. Most of them don't do comics as their primary focus though, they do MTG.

MTG will be the main focus of the store...but there will be a good amount of comics as well as autographs and some vintage toys...haven't yet decided on the "POP" figures...honestly I don't get the draw, but it seems most shops have them...I have about 80 long boxes, give or take a few...a box of CGC and some higher grade bronze and silver...As far as trades go, I have been given that same advice of having the top 100 trades in stock by at least 3 shop owners on the island (what we Long Islanders call Long Island). I was a bit taken aback from all the "don't sell modern books" advice...I can definitely see how that can become a problem quickly, but I do want people coming in so it's a fine line...

One of the other concerns was how much $$ I planned on taking out...in my initial post I mentioned I'd like to make 50-75 a year eventually...I realize that's a bit high, but I'm aiming high...I do not plan on taking any money out the first year and I'm prepared for the 2nd year as well if that's the case...after that if it does not appear that I can start drawing a small salary I'll have to re-evaluate.

I appreciate everyone's concern and I am taking all advice, writing a bunch down, and will bring the concerns to my friends in the industry in the area to see what their experiences are...

There was another question of my backround/business acumen...most of my life I've been a restaurant manager...I've written schedules, budgets, and placed food orders...the food orders being significant as food has a certain shelf life...just like "new" comics do...they are not "new" after a week or so (If I remember correctly, someone said if books didn't sell by Saturday, that was it...). I've reconciled P&L's and keep very organized records. I fell I have the knowledge to run a business. I've also been working with the small business development center in Stony Brook University and the Miller Small Business Center...they have been very helpful In helping me to develop a business plan..it's been a bit difficult as projecting sales is a crapshoot and I don't have the rent amount yet, although it looks as if 1000-1200 rent is the max + utilities/insurance...

Shadroch, I will check out Score as well to see what they offer...thanks for the link!

Loving the feedback in the thread and trying to reply when I can...

I was told by a store owner a few years ago that Amazon had just cut it's discount on a lot of trades. Also, when it started charging sales tax in CA that eliminated a lot of the difference (this store will discount up to 20%). As SquareChaos says, you go into the store, the employee recommends one or two of the top 100 trades they think you'll like, you buy one. The point of sale system automatically reorders one for your store. These places sell a ton of copies of DKR, Killing Joke, Watchmen, Saga, Fables, Infinity Gauntlet, etc.

Yeah, you are basically a showroom for Diamond either way... but it's not that much capital to have two copies of each of the top 100 trades.

Anyway, the OP said comics will be less than half the store, so he's really saying he's planning on opening a MTG store, which doesn't skimp on the comics. Everyone in the thread seems to agree that MTG stores have no problems. :)

There is always great advice in these "opening a store" threads but it sometimes reminds me of being in a fiction writing class and having your story workshopped. People will tell you what they want your story to be and not what you intend it to be. As in the workshops, you need to be able to decide what advice is helpful and what isn't.

Ie, to the OP, if you've put the time in, you really want to do it, you start small and as close to the bone as you can, in a good location with a good lease, why not try it? People love going into comic book stores. They clearly love playing in MTG tournaments.

The other thing about these kinds of threads is almost everyone on these boards collects back issues so they always say that's what they want to see in a store and they always suggest you just buy collections and do shows and ebay (because that's what most of them do). Ie, their ideas about comic book stores need to be taken with a grain of salt. Most stores don't carry back issues for a reason, but if you have back counter comics on shelves, it's amazing how much $$ you can pack into a tiny amount of space.

Speaking of space, info I gleaned from both Jamie Graham and Brian Peets is space is at a premium. You want to really pack it with material for sale. And Graham said none of his stores have back rooms. They are a constant drain on you, paying for that space and letting stuff stack up.

I absolutely hear what you are saying...If I took all the advice I would not open, open, and just do show lol...BUT, I believe each person is giving me what they feel is their best advice...I don't believe that anyone wants me to fail (well maybe brassyee, but that's a story for a different day if you don't know it by now lol)...I knew people were going to be tough on the idea-, but I wanted to hear what everyone has to say, bc EVERYONE here is invested in some way in the industry and the advice I'm getting from the non-store owners is what they hear from the store owners they visit...ALL advice is valuable, but you're correct, I need to take everything with a grain of salt, but I appreciate everyone's time and advice...thank you all and please continue to contribute!!