• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

Trades are cheaper online, but there isn't anyone you trust on Amazon telling you what to buy. That's all it takes... someone standing there that you can ask, "what should I read next?"

Absolutely. And some people don't shop online or don't want to wait for something to be delivered. There's always reader demand for popular trades and classic story arcs. Walking Dead trades are solid gold.

I got to say one thing about opening a comic book store, it has to be less investment and less work than opening a Distillery (thumbs u

I would drink all the profits. :ohnoez:

Our motto is "if you can't sell it you can always drink it"

Are you hiring? :roflmao:

Most stores don't carry back issues for a reason

Because most store owners are lazy and are really doing nothing but running out the clock.

Other reasons are the sheer amount of space it takes up at $2 to $3 a foot per month as well as the amount of time it takes to grade, bag and board, etc. vs a small pct. of the people interested in vintage back issues. In the old days you could have one of every Spider-Man comic in a long box or two. Now it's a whole table and underneath the table trying to cater to the person who likes comics from the 90s, the one who likes stuff from the last five years, the person who wants the 70s, etc. The back issue market gets splintered, the longer these characters go on.

There's room for stores who carry back issues, but it's a subset of the number of stores carrying new comics, trades, and pop culture stuff.

Every store I can think of in the east bay that opened in the 80s devotes significantly less space and effort to back issues than they did in their early years and there's a reason for that.

Not that I don't see some really lazy store owners, as you say!

I thought they were both interesting write-ups as well, but try not to post too often when I really don't have much to contribute. Great insights, Andy. Junkdrawer too. A lot of good advice here. And a lot worse ways to 'buy a job.' E.g. when I was shopping for businesses in 2011 there were a lot of opportunities like Subway shop available which maybe generated $80,000 a year to owner/operator.

:headbang:

Thanks. Was hoping it was read by more than one other.

I love long posts--don't know why some people apologize for "wall of text"--are we not readers here? Are we not educated? :) I just eat up long posts like that and wish we had more of them.

I had to ice my wrist :D

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize for any repetition. One friend who has a successful LCS claims to do best with Anime'. He goes to those type of shows often. A common problem that they all claim is people not honoring their pull lists. Another issue is storage for unsold back stock. I wish you well....but be ready to improvise. My favorite shop started as a book store and still carries current magazines and newspapers..... many comic collections come from people who don't even collect comics. He carries used paperbacks, videos, toys, etc.... and has two "shop cats" that have their fan clubs lol . All of the people I know well who own shops say that female customers are up and that collectors completing runs are down. Most of them have tons of back issues and no longer buy every collection that comes through the door.... some only buy what they are sure of selling to a customer in mind. It would be too nerve wracking for me.... but they all seem happy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

As is probably said in the other threads, a POS system is a must. Automates a lot, lets you know what's selling, and makes the regualr monthly new comics order faster. Being able to put up the $3000 or $5000 or whatever will save you a lot down the line.

That's one of the items I was on the fence about...something I need to do more research on...if any shop owners have experience with a POS system, please let me know how it's working out and if it was worth the investment!

You have already had a lot of responses - but I'll add mine

I had a comic book store for six months in 1978. Hated it. Have done mail order every since.

A good friend opened up a comic book store here in my hometown about nine months ago. I go in once a week for half a day and sorta work, mostly there to talk to collectors about getting their books professionally graded and slabbed.

I'll echo what others have said. Don't do it. You will not be "living the dream". It's impossible to make money on new comics. In fact it's almost impossible not to lose money on new comics. I have been....just dumbfounded on how how bad the new issue distribution is for the final retailer.

If you do decide to jump in - you probably don't have enough cash in the bank. My friend had a lot more cash available up front and is...not happy with the cash flow situation.

If you decide to go for it anyway, you need to look for something that can be a solid base. Something you can count on to generate income. That will not be new or vintage comic sales. You are going to lose money on new comic sales. But you have to have them to bring comic customers in. Vintage comic sales can have very attractive profit margins But you can't count on those sales. One week you have nice sales, next week very little and it's all 50 cent and $1 books.

I believe - based on observation - that one store in town here has as their anchor Magic and similar games. Regular tournaments - room set aside just for that. My friend's store is anchored by a vintage arcade. It's what pays the rent and utilities (which are BTW way expensive. Local utility companies tend to really screw over small businesses) $5 an hour to play vintage video games and pinball. On weekends there is often times a line to get into the arcade. The Arcade also spurs sales of vintage games and video systems.

People also expect retail stores to be open seven days a week. So as a store owner you either work all the time with days off a rarity. Or you hire more employees. Which stresses that cash flow thing.

If you decide to do this - good luck. You will need it.

As is probably said in the other threads, a POS system is a must. Automates a lot, lets you know what's selling, and makes the regualr monthly new comics order faster. Being able to put up the $3000 or $5000 or whatever will save you a lot down the line.

That's one of the items I was on the fence about...something I need to do more research on...if any shop owners have experience with a POS system, please let me know how it's working out and if it was worth the investment!

I think in today's market a POS system is much needed. If nothing else it greatly reduces the amount of time you'll spend doing your books.

Shopkeep is popular. No idea if it is the best choice.

http://www.shopkeep.com/pricing

Depends how much new stuff you are dealing with. Do the three shops use it, the ones whose owners have been giving you a lot of tips? I saw our really large store suffering from not having it and know it was just a must for the new store that replaced it.