• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Ten Batman issues from the Bronze Age

67 posts in this topic

Yes. You have gorgeous art with Batman vs the shark. You have Joker driving in the rain. You have the mega iconic Batman running on the beach, used for lots of stuff since like puzzles, covers of collections, etc. And very importantly for DC Comics, you have the return of the Joker as homicidal, after the camp years. (In fact besides one panel in 201, he hadn't appeared for over 60 issues, besides reprints). IIRC.

Yes. You have gorgeous art with Batman vs the shark. You have Joker driving in the rain. You have the mega iconic Batman running on the beach, used for lots of stuff since like puzzles, covers of collections, etc. And very importantly for DC Comics, you have the return of the Joker as homicidal, after the camp years. (In fact besides one panel in 201, he hadn't appeared for over 60 issues, besides reprints). IIRC.

Nailed it. CGC should try to fit that on the label.

Top 10 is hard - but I think Batman 232 is easily the most important as it is a true first appearance of a top 5 Batman villain.

Also would have to have Batman 251, 244, 227, 234 and Tec 400 on the list.

I would also throw Swamp Thing 7 on - just for the amazing cover :cloud9:

ST 7 is a very underrated book. Not sure why it isn't as coveted by Bat collectors as much as it should. This was one of the few non-Adams books I just had to have once I got back into the hobby. I first read it in the treasury sized Limited Collectors Edition Batman Strangest Adventures / Issue #C-59 (a great collection of Bat stories by the way).

Here's mine.

167638.jpg.cebfbbe9bac0ddc929ecd910b8fa62b4.jpg

+1 it's hard to beat Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams bringing the Joker back to his roots. This one isn't all about the (awesome) cover.

I'm just a collector, so while value will play a role in my choices, aesthetics and what not will also weigh heavily. I would choose Batman 217, 227, 232, 234, 251, Detective 395, 400, 405, 411, and B&B 85......without much hesitation.... but then I've been an Adams fan forever. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Pics for those more visually inclined:

Batman #217

Batman_217_zpsw9bp0lri.jpg

Batman #227

Batman_227_zpspa65idxx.jpg

Batman #232

Batman_232_zpscyypzqtj.jpg

Batman #234

Batman_234_zpstzmpbatx.jpg

Batman #251

Batman_251_zpsqcocbrnq.jpg

Detective Comics #395

Detective Comics #400

Detective_Comics_400_zpsisszhvvp.jpg

Detective Comics #405

Detective_Comics_405_zpskswwftyn.jpg

Detective Comics #411

Detective_Comics_411_zpsecgvkc0g.jpg

Brave & the Bold #85

Brave_and_the_Bold_Vol_1_85_zpsqcwj4sx1.jpg

As much as I like the cover to Batman #217, I would put Tec #395 on the top 10 list instead of it. It has a better story plus Adams cover & interior artwork. And then, if we are looking later Bronze Age, maybe Tec #470 (1st Silver St. Cloud) or Batman #475 (classic Joker fish cover).

Edited by kimik

ST 7 is a very underrated book. Not sure why it isn't as coveted by Bat collectors as much as it should. This was one of the few non-Adams books I just had to have once I got back into the hobby. I first read it in the treasury sized Limited Collectors Edition Batman Strangest Adventures / Issue #C-59 (a great collection of Bat stories by the way).

Here's mine.

Stunning copy! I know I already said it - but such an amazing cover! :cloud9:

404 has a tremendous interior, especially if you can read it in treasury size. Come to think of it, I think it's in the Batman treasury that uses the Batman running on the beach from 251 as the cover.

So many amazing Adams covers in those runs, Jimbo's list is spot on I think. I would give honorable mentions to tec 403 and 404, great stuff!

ydDQeopl.jpgVeKH7m4l.jpg

speaking of Neal Adams batman, can someone recommend a collection (TPB or HC) that has all these classic stories? (and I don't mean the batman Omnibus that has all the new fancy digital coloring) I want the original color printing! I want to read them all now that I've seen all these amazing covers!

speaking of Neal Adams batman, can someone recommend a collection (TPB or HC) that has all these classic stories? (and I don't mean the batman Omnibus that has all the new fancy digital coloring) I want the original color printing! I want to read them all now that I've seen all these amazing covers!

All the stories collected *and* the original coloring pallet? No such animal. I wounded up getting the HCs vol #1-3. The Omnibus has the horrible Odyssey books included. The modern coloring is indeed terrible. They messed up the collected Smith Conans in the same way.

You can try the aforementioned treasuries for many of the reprints (and bigger). Also the Ra's al Ghul stories and the Man-Bat stories were each reprinted in separate limited series which can be picked up for cheap (or check out the Tales of the Demon trade for the Ra's stuff).

Honestly, though, I've got the Adams 3-volume set and the coloring simply does not bother me at all (yes, I'm well aware that I'm the only one). The stories and art are just a joy.

You can try the aforementioned treasuries for many of the reprints (and bigger). Also the Ra's al Ghul stories and the Man-Bat stories were each reprinted in separate limited series which can be picked up for cheap (or check out the Tales of the Demon trade for the Ra's stuff).

Honestly, though, I've got the Adams 3-volume set and the coloring simply does not bother me at all (yes, I'm well aware that I'm the only one). The stories and art are just a joy.

:gossip: ...you're not the only one..... my set is well loved and utilized. GOD BLESS...

Thanks for the info. I have one of Adam's recolored volumes and the digital coloring did throw me off. I actually picked it up at one of his signings and he was telling everyone how proud he was of the new coloring. I feel there is too much contrast now and I'm focusing more on the bright colors vs the beautiful art and story. I would've sold my copy had he not sketched in my book. I will try to hunt down those treasuries!

All the stories collected *and* the original coloring pallet? No such animal. I wounded up getting the HCs vol #1-3. The Omnibus has the horrible Odyssey books included. The modern coloring is indeed terrible. They messed up the collected Smith Conans in the same way.

I thought the BWS Conans were even worse. The new colouring obliterated most of the linework.

I'm just a collector, so while value will play a role in my choices, aesthetics and what not will also weigh heavily. I would choose Batman 217, 227, 232, 234, 251, Detective 395, 400, 405, 411, and B&B 85......without much hesitation.... but then I've been an Adams fan forever. GOD BLESS...

I just love all of the Adams Batman related books from the 70's. :cloud9:

Tried to compile a complete set of them back when they were first hot, but never got very far. I believe that I managed to get most of the Batman issues, but not very many of the Detective ones since they were hard to find in grade.

Haven't really bothered to finished off the set since I am no longer sure which ones I am missing and I hate to pay for doubles. That's how I ended up with 2 copies of Detective 408 which is not that great of a Adams cover to start with. Also not sure how I ended up with 2 high grade copies of Batman 232, and yet I believe I might not have Batman 237. If not 237, then I must be missing 234, just not sure which one. :censored:

Good thing is that I was looking through a few random slabs the other month and surprisingly found a CGC 9.2 graded copy of Detective 405. Beautiful scary looking Batman cover and one that I had certainly wanted for my collection, but not willing to pay for since it had gone up a lot during the past few years. :whee:

Must get around to sorting out my collection one of these years. doh!

Thanks for the info. I have one of Adam's recolored volumes and the digital coloring did throw me off. I actually picked it up at one of his signings and he was telling everyone how proud he was of the new coloring. I feel there is too much contrast now and I'm focusing more on the bright colors vs the beautiful art and story. I would've sold my copy had he not sketched in my book. I will try to hunt down those treasuries!

The treasuries are easy enough to find in mid-grade and will give you a wide selection of classic stories. However, the Tales of the Demon tpb is worth picking up as well as it has the DC Special Series 15 that others have mentioned, which is a key story in the Batman/Talia/Ra's relationship, as well as a few other post-Adams stories (I believe all are penned by O'neil, though).

--------------------------

Here's a question for everyone, too. Which B&B would you place in the Top 10 of this thread: 79 or 85? I've seen mention of 85, but I always thought it was more significant for GA than Batters.

Also, I picked up a copy of 'Tec 438 last night based on the high praise in this thread (thumbs u

Here are some cheaper options, I'm not a fan of the new coloring either, but if you don't mind b&w(I love it) Showcase vol 5 collects a ton of great issues.

jqfjr8vl.jpgweDZcrAl.jpg

zmr4dAd.jpg