• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Calgary Comic Expo (April 27-30)
2 2

338 posts in this topic

On 2017-05-01 at 6:51 PM, thehumantorch said:

I know of two books that were stolen at this show.  One was a ASM 129 and the other was a ASM 39.

May these crooks rot in hell.

It sickens me to know crooks still do their things in these shows. Dealers need every dollar to keep their gears going on to next show and next show. :censored:

10 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

ASM 129 and TOS 39 2c

Was that ToS #39 stolen from the tattoo man's wall rack that had almost no security next to Showcase #4 Cgc 4.5 with 2 rusty staples asking $62,000 ?

The Calgary expo was great for me as retail sales about 18% higher than my previous high at this show 2 years ago. The main thing that went wrong was that Hwy #1 was closed east and west bound for 2.5 hours outside of Revelstoke, BC for hwy clean up and maintenance while we were making the long drive to Calgary Expo from Vancouver, BC. Sure glad there :$ were tall trees and :bigsmile: a  pristine lake to p in. Don't worry Albertans, this lake was on the BC side of the border:

St5LK44.jpg

10 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

ASM 129 and TOS 39 2c

That's what I heard initially but on Sunday was told it was a ASM 39.  I'm told the tattoo seller didn't take down  some of the books sitting  on his small wall rack when he left for the night and that's where this book was sitting.

4 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Was that ToS #39 stolen from the tattoo man's wall rack that had almost no security next to Showcase #4 Cgc 4.5 with 2 rusty staples asking $62,000 ?

The Calgary expo was great for me as retail sales about 18% higher than my previous high at this show 2 years ago. The main thing that went wrong was that Hwy #1 was closed east and west bound for 2.5 hours outside of Revelstoke, BC for hwy clean up and maintenance while we were making the long drive to Calgary Expo from Vancouver, BC. Sure glad there :$ were tall trees and :bigsmile: a  pristine lake to p in. Don't worry Albertans, this lake was on the BC side of the border:

St5LK44.jpg

are you talking about Shane's booth? He does tattoos and had a single stand of comics. Located close to that white Mazda display?

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

That's what I heard initially but on Sunday was told it was a ASM 39.  I'm told the tattoo seller didn't take down  some of the books sitting  on his small wall rack when he left for the night and that's where this book was sitting.

Shane?

56 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

St5LK44.jpg

Strange news report, locals claim to have seen their local version of the Loc Ness Monster, Moby Dyck last week.

Edited by thehumantorch

10 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

doh!

rather unlike him to forget. Must have been very tired.

The thief must have seen those rusty staples on that Showcase 4...

I think he took the Showcase and the other top tier books and left some of the cheaper books on his wall.  Was told by several people on Sunday that it was a ASM 39

20 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

ASM 129 and TOS 39 2c

Yikes - those are two big books.  That's why I don't bring big books to Cons . . yea . . that's the reason.

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I think he took the Showcase and the other top tier books and left some of the cheaper books on his wall.  Was told by several people on Sunday that it was a ASM 39

I see....

On 2017-05-17 at 4:36 AM, joeypost said:

Sounds like a win to me. 

After 40 years of grading back issues, I still can't grade 'properly' per Cgc.

Amaz Fantasy #15 raw pre-grade 7.0, Cgc 7.0

Amaz Spider-man #1 raw 7.0, Cgc 8.0

ASM #2 structurally raw 9.0 but had tanning to inside covers, thus Cgc 7.0 even though page quality is a totally different tiered scale (?)

ASM #3 raw 9.4, Cgc 9.4

ASM 14 raw pre-grade 8.5, somehow garnered Cgc 9.6 :flipbait:

FF #1 raw 8.0, Cgc 8.0

Brave Bold #28 raw 6.0, somehow got Cgc 9.0 ^^

DD #1 raw 9.0, Cgc 8.5 close enough.

ToS #39 raw 7.5, got Cgc 9.0 (thumbsu

Superboy #1 7.5 raw, got Cgc 8.0.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

14 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

After 40 years of grading back issues, I still can't grade 'properly' per Cgc.

Amaz Fantasy #15 raw pre-grade 7.0, Cgc 7.0

Amaz Spider-man #1 raw 7.0, Cgc 8.0

ASM #2 structurally raw 9.0 but had tanning to inside covers, thus Cgc 7.0 even though page quality is a totally different tiered scale (?)

ASM #3 raw 9.4, Cgc 9.4

ASM 14 raw pre-grade 8.5, somehow garnered Cgc 9.6 :flipbait:

FF #1 raw 8.0, Cgc 8.0

Brave Bold #28 raw 6.0, somehow got Cgc 9.0 ^^

DD #1 raw 9.0, Cgc 8.5 close enough.

ToS #39 raw 7.5, got Cgc 9.0 (thumbsu

Superboy #1 7.5 raw, got Cgc 8.0.

Nice Allan, congrats