• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Calgary Comic Expo (April 27-30)
2 2

338 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

After 40 years of grading back issues, I still can't grade 'properly' per Cgc.

Amaz Fantasy #15 raw pre-grade 7.0, Cgc 7.0

Amaz Spider-man #1 raw 7.0, Cgc 8.0

ASM #2 structurally raw 9.0 but had tanning to inside covers, thus Cgc 7.0 even though page quality is a totally different tiered scale (?)

ASM #3 raw 9.4, Cgc 9.4

ASM 14 raw pre-grade 8.5, somehow garnered Cgc 9.6 :flipbait:

FF #1 raw 8.0, Cgc 8.0

Brave Bold #28 raw 6.0, somehow got Cgc 9.0 ^^

DD #1 raw 9.0, Cgc 8.5 close enough.

ToS #39 raw 7.5, got Cgc 9.0 (thumbsu

Superboy #1 7.5 raw, got Cgc 8.0.

WOW :ohnoez:

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

ASM #2 structurally raw 9.0 but had tanning to inside covers, thus Cgc 7.0 even though page quality is a totally different tiered scale (?)

ASM #3 raw 9.4, Cgc 9.4

FF #1 raw 8.0, Cgc 8.0

I know the secret to your "somehow" :gossip: 

11 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

ASM #3 raw 9.4, Cgc 9.4

FF #1 raw 8.0, Cgc 8.0

I had a similar experience to the ASM #2 you subbed. Iron Man #7 that I thought was easy 9.4 with upside structurally came back 7.0 because of inside cover tanning. 

14 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I know the secret to your "somehow" :gossip: 

Never got so lucky before whereby a raw SA Marvel at 8.5 gets massaged to a Cgc 9.6, and a raw SA DC key at 6.0 gets 'massaged' to a Cgc 9.0. :golfclap:

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

Although I didn't introduce myself, I want to thank a few of you for helping me fill in some gaps in my Wolverine runs.

It was a superior (over the past shows) expo, and I added a few new sigs to my collection as well. I was going to introduce myself but ya'll were so darned busy at the time I dropped by. 

Maybe next year I will try to get a table at the Red&White in Calgary. Sell off everything but my faves. 

Cheers!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, aardvark88 said:

Never got so lucky before whereby a raw SA Marvel at 8.5 gets massaged to a Cgc 9.6, and a raw SA DC key at 6.0 gets 'massaged' to a Cgc 9.0. :golfclap:

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

On 5/20/2017 at 5:34 PM, aardvark88 said:

ASM #3 raw 9.4, Cgc 9.4

FF #1 raw 8.0, Cgc 8.0

Allan;

Hopefully, these freshly graded books are still owned by you and not by somebody who had purchased them off you and then submitted them to CGC for grading.  :wishluck:

If they are still yours, congrats on some wonderful graded books, qespecially with respect to the AF 15, ASM 14, and the TOS 39.  (thumbsu

At the rate which AF 15 prices have been going, it's quite conceivable that your copy of AF 15 could put more money in your pocket that what Magik was able to get from his much higher graded copy last summer.  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

On 2017-06-09 at 7:32 AM, kimik said:

Wow. Those are great results. Do you have scans that you can share? I would love to see the B&B #28. :wishluck:

Sorry, no scans. Some of the slabs being picked up from Chicago Wizard :) con in person; some being shipped back to Canada; some being consigned promptly for no reserve auction on East coast, USA.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Sorry, no scans. Some of the slabs being picked up from Chicago Wizard :) con in person; some being shipped back to Canada; some being consigned promptly for no reserve auction on East coast, USA.

Smart move as it's much wiser to pay only 10% to either of the 2 big auction houses on the East Coast as opposed to trying to negotiate down from 30% with the other auction house.  (thumbsu

Especially in the case of a book such as AF 15 where it's been the 2 East Coast auction houses that have been setting all of the record prices with almost every new offering.  Best of luck to you in your consignments.  :wishluck:

On 6/9/2017 at 8:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Allan;

Hopefully, these freshly graded books are still owned by you and not by somebody who had purchased them off you and then submitted them to CGC for grading.  :wishluck:

If they are still yours, congrats on some wonderful graded books, qespecially with respect to the AF 15, ASM 14, and the TOS 39.  (thumbsu

At the rate which AF 15 prices have been going, it's quite conceivable that your copy of AF 15 could put more money in your pocket that what Magik was able to get from his much higher graded copy last summer.  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

ALLAN....

I believe I offered you a very strong 6.0 guide price on that DD 1 in canadian dollars . I am bet you are sad you turned me down ;)

Congrats man ! @aardvark88

4 hours ago, Fantastic Thor said:

ALLAN....

I believe I offered you a very strong 6.0 guide price on that DD 1 in canadian dollars . I am bet you are sad you turned me down ;)

Congrats man ! @aardvark88

dearest Thor,

As always, thank you for your generous offer in loonies at Calgary expo that I promptly, but politely :x, declined on the raw DD #1 8.5 to 9.0.

4 hours ago, Fantastic Thor said:

Steranko coming to edmonton expo .

Guess I am coming to hang out again .Anyone else planning to come to the city of chumpions? 

dear Thor,

Will check flight prices to Edmonton expo Sept/17. Would say the Vancouver Canucks debacle makes Vancouver 'the city of chumpions.'

Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

dearest Thor,

As always, thank you for your generous offer in loonies at Calgary expo that I promptly, but politely :x, declined on the raw DD #1 8.5 to 9.0.

It was toonies . Let me know if you make the voyage 

On 6/10/2017 at 1:41 PM, Fantastic Thor said:

Guess I am coming to hang out again .Anyone else planning to come to the city of chumpions? 

Calgary?

Edited by kimik