• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Calgary Comic Expo (April 27-30)
2 2

338 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Fantastic Thor said:

If there is a flames playoff game Joe you can be my date .  That way we won't have to worry about traffic . Game is on me ...

If there's a playoff game, we'll all be there except Ryan. lol

4 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Unless it's a battle of Alberta match up.

If it is a battle of Alberta hockey playoff :x, there may be less foot traffic at the Expo in the evening, as fans leave for early dinner then walk over to the big game.

Also, I am negotiating for an upgrade to a corner booth # 621 or 619 in the main Halls a, b, c. :wishluck: Will bring some WW/Cheetah nm overstock for greggy:

67oQVWyl.jpg

On 3/14/2017 at 4:35 PM, Artboy99 said:

The one day Red White show was actually rather slow for sales in my opinion. I have done the Red White for 8 years now, this is the second march show ( in addition to the show in September ) and I think this is the worst Red White show I have done for sales revenue.

As mentioned Dave and I sold our Gotham City Sirens #1 variant to another dealer for $400 that we conservatively graded as a 9.6 raw ( shot at a CGC 9.8 ), but other than that it was small stuff selling. $1-$50 range stuff and our dollar books did not do as well as we hoped.

Our best sellers were golden age books, and books from a shortbox we bought at the show that buyers were interested in as I priced them sitting at the table.

If you consider travel costs, hotel costs and table costs + food, it was rather under-whelming and made us question if we should return.

Lots of potential buyers agonizing over that $2 book and putting it back in the box was my observation.

Customers talking about getting laid off from their jobs and pondering if buying that $5 dollar Conan the Barbarian is a good idea.

I am hoping the Calgary Expo is better....

A good friend and the fellow I get my comics from, Larry from TUGS in Drumheller, was saying that it's not just comic sales at the Red White Show that were hurting. He's def. done better there in the past as well. 

His shop is closing in Drumheller as the Mall where it is, being badly managed, is closing up around November or December. As such, this year will probably be his last at the Calgary Expo as well. Table costs almost tripled at the Expo since the first year.

I'll be going again of course, almost just out of habit and a few celeb sigs. Fillion will complete my Serenity cast autographs.

I too hope Calgary is on the road that weekend, though not wishing them to be eliminated. Last game I watched of theirs though was the last time Lanny won the Stanley.

Table costs may have tripled since Expo #1 but attendance has more than tripled to offset the increase in 10' x 10' booth cost. Their economy booths 8' x 5' seem to always sell out and be renewed first. As of 14 days ago, Calgary Expo had at least 3 10' x 10' booths left in the media guest area Halls D, E. Don't know if you realize that 2.5 day Wizard World cons have booth cost that averages $1,100 US so I would say Calgary Expo is retailer/vendor friendly as they want the booths to all sell out.

22 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

If it is a battle of Alberta hockey playoff :x, there may be less foot traffic at the Expo in the evening, as fans leave for early dinner then walk over to the big game.

Also, I am negotiating for an upgrade to a corner booth # 621 or 619 in the main Halls a, b, c. :wishluck: Will bring some WW/Cheetah nm overstock for greggy:

67oQVWyl.jpg

Corner booth?? CORNER BOOTH??? 

3 minutes ago, Fantastic Thor said:

with posting pictures w/o Photobucket now available maybe Karl will get his A game back and give live updates at the show ?

I'm going to post like mad, too! 

1 hour ago, Fantastic Thor said:

You may need approval from Karl to get official credentials , but I am sure you can work out something ..

:applause:

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎27 at 0:08 PM, thehumantorch said:

Time out in the corner booth

Looks like I will be at non-corner booth # 2022 in Hall D. May bring some untrimmed SA Marvel cover proofs to sell if I can find them from storage. :whatthe: 

On 3/25/2017 at 9:58 AM, thirdgreenham said:

The last time the Flames were in the playoffs I was at a conference in Calgary with work. They set up screens so we could watch Game 6 at the main banquet. I was the only person cheering for Tampa Bay in the entire room. It was great when they won it. The large dining room was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.............except for me cheering and laughing after the Bolts scored the game winnner. :whee:

Sitting at my table was one of my best friends' wife who is from Calgary. She went home and told my buddy how pissed she was with me. lol

My view is simple - there is only one Canadian team I want to win the Cup, the Oilers, so I will cheer against any other Canadian team that makes the finals. (thumbsu  

Edited by kimik

On 3/29/2017 at 9:10 AM, Artboy99 said:

Approval given.

You need to get back on the job with taking pictures this year. The recap thread is useless without your eye for quality. :baiting:

Edited by kimik