• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

41 posts in this topic

Just started watching and finished Season 1 on Netflix.

Anything I should pay special attention to?

So far I am impressed. It's almost like the Batman: The Animated Series of this generation. The voice acting, animation and writing goes well beyond what I would have expected.

There were already a couple of episodes that explored themes that I am sure were meant more for adults than for kids.

Anyway... On to season 2.

For me the series did a few things very well, that expand in a positive way so many of the areas where the movies failed.

1. Restoring the mythical nature of the Force. There are a few excellent episodes in I think season 3 about this.

2. In Attack of the Clones when characters would talk about their war experiences and it had no emotional impact or meaning. It was only names and meaningless references. The series explains these stories, and gives emotional and relationship depth to the main characters.

3. The motives of many characters become clear

4. Ashoka starts of as a whinny brat, and ends up being a really cool character by the end. You very much wish she had appeared in the movies.

5. The Clone Wars actually feel like a war. The Separatists come across as a threat, and it feels like something that has dragged on.

6. It paints the Republic in a much more vague light. Not all of their motivations come across as pure if it were not for that evil Palpatine.

7. The development of the clones, they are not just stupid, cannon fodder.

I could go on, but many of these are highlight as to why the series is so good.

It's a TERRIFIC series but like everything else that's great...it got cancelled.

Be sure to check out the "Lost Episodes" set. It was intended to be the 6th season but it never aired. It was already completed before Lucasfilm got acquired by Disney.

It's a TERRIFIC series but like everything else that's great...it got cancelled.

Be sure to check out the "Lost Episodes" set. It was intended to be the 6th season but it never aired. It was already completed before Lucasfilm got acquired by Disney.

Yes! I read up on that and that it was basically a Netflix exclusive.

Season 2 Episode 3

Yes! I read up on that and that it was basically a Netflix exclusive.

Season 2 Episode 3

When Disney bought Lucasfilm the sixth season was already well into production (but was rumored to be the last season anyway). Disney pulled the rights from Cartoon Network to air the show and gave the rights to Netflix. The did not want their product airing on a rival network. I am not sure they intended only doing those 10 episodes in season six, but that is what was basically finished at the point it was cancelled.

Basically Disney wanted a new fresh series to air on its Disney xD network, rather than continue an aging show. Thus we got Rebels, which is also good.

It's showrunner is a guy steeped in Star Wars lore and he delivered the goods on this show when I really wasn't expecting much after the debut animation movie.

The points above I agree with and there definitely is great minutia and lore in the cartoon but in a broader sense it makes Anakin the character he needed to be for the prequel films to work imho. You understand that he's not just some annoying spoiled powerful kid, he's a full blown war hero (as is Ben Kenobi) by the time Revenge of the Sith rolls around - these are the DUDES.. Because of this his fall means even more and makes more sense.

In many ways it reminds me of how the novelization of the Revenge of the Sith by Stover (and it's lead up Labyrinth of Evil by Luceno) were the stories told in a way that were truly epic. The novelization of RotS delivered so well there the movie was, and I know people try to defend it as the best of the prequels, was still pretty helluva lame just because the acting and dialogue were so awful.

I just started watching it about a month ago and am only about ten episodes into season 1. LOVE it. Doesn't seem geared towards kids, it seems like it's written with the same complexity and dark tone that any of the movies have been. Love seeing General Grievous getting developed beyond that simplistic character we saw in Episode III.

I just started watching it about a month ago and am only about ten episodes into season 1. LOVE it. Doesn't seem geared towards kids, it seems like it's written with the same complexity and dark tone that any of the movies have been. Love seeing General Grievous getting developed beyond that simplistic character we saw in Episode III.

The character development is great. Another thing I love about the series is that it makes you forget about some of the terrible fight scenes from the prequels and even ANH.

Watch the fight scene between Palpatine vs Darth Maul and Savage Opress and you'll forget about whatever the hell kind of dance Palpatine and Windu were doing.

Starting Season 3 Episode 1 today.

I see what has been meant by the comments concerning the tone of the series. You really do get a sense of Star Wars 'battling' throughout the series.

I was also surprised by some of the execution style killings in the series. Troopers screaming, "no wait, please' and then getting shot in the head at point blank range.

Definitely not for the little ones.

VERY good series overall. I am disappointed in myself for not watching this years earlier.

Too bad Rebels is not available for streaming. Once I am done with the Clone Wars it would be nice to start with that.

Fantastic show. I bought the blu-ray which open up the screen more and were "filmed" 2.35 as opposed to what aired at 1.85. Netflix also has them at 2.35. Very epic show. Talented people.

Rebels sadly isn't nearly as good. Although Rebels is getting better and better. With some episodes really good and the voice of James Earl Jones as Darth Vader.

Edited by Rip

Fantastic show. I bought the blu-ray which open up the screen more and were "filmed" 2.35 as opposed to what aired at 1.85. Netflix also has them at 2.35. Very epic show. Talented people.

Rebels sadly isn't nearly as good. Although Rebels is getting better and better. With some episodes really good and the voice of James Earl Jones as Darth Vader.

The last few episodes of Season 2 of Rebels were excellent, especially the "confrontation" episode. I do not want to give anything away however.

Just started watching and finished Season 1 on Netflix.

Anything I should pay special attention to?

So far I am impressed. It's almost like the Batman: The Animated Series of this generation. The voice acting, animation and writing goes well beyond what I would have expected.

There were already a couple of episodes that explored themes that I am sure were meant more for adults than for kids.

Anyway... On to season 2.

100 percent agree.

Apparently i am watching this series the wrong way...

Maybe I will start over... this way I will stop seeing dead characters reappear...

According to the official Star Wars website this is the order in which the series should be seen:

Air # Title

1 216 Cat and Mouse

2 116 Hidden Enemy

T The Clone Wars theatrical release

3 301 Clone Cadets

4 303 Supply Lines

5 101 Ambush

6 102 Rising Malevolence

7 103 Shadow of Malevolence

8 104 Destroy Malevolence

9 105 Rookies

10 106 Downfall of a Droid