• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it time for... posted by Best2u

3 posts in this topic

LEADING COMIC AUCTION HOUSES NEED TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!

First posted on 4/2013 by me.-I think it's time for the leading comic auctions, Heritage, ComicLink, and others, to start posting both the front and back covers on their auction pages.

There is no reason that this can't be done for every comic auctioned. I've noticed that they do it for their top of the line rare books with high value. Every book I bid on from them is just as important to me, even if it's value may only be a couple of hundred bucks, as those thousand dollar comics are to the super rich and the dealers.

I know from buying many comics that if the comic I'm bidding on has a front picture that looks like a 9.4 grade but is only graded 8.0 that most likely there's something on the back cover that brought the grade down. Sure it could be something on the inside that lowered the grade but by seeing both covers I'd know that.

I don't know what would happen if I called and asked for a scan of the back. I know that if we all started calling for a back cover scan the auctions houses would start putting them on their auction pages so they wouldn't have to deal with all the phone calls.

I'm not the type of person to start a movemnet to get the ball rolling on forcing the companies to do so. Hopefully a bunch of collectors reading this can jump in and put a little pressure on the big auctions to do so. I think it's time for full disclosure.

Thanks.

Well, now that it's 2017 I think the above is even more important then before seeing that both of the major grading services put notes on the reverse of the slabs. I'm sure they would say it's takes to much time or computer space, but come on, it's 2017.

See more journals by Best2u

Most auction houses will provide you with a high-resolution full back scan upon request, as I have done so on numerous occasions.

However, although it would be nice to have front and back scans always posted in auctions, I don't think that is going to happen. It takes a long time as it is to scan hundreds of books and with 1-2 month turn-around times until the next auction begins (e.g., Comic Link), I don't foresee that happening.

To be quite honest, they cannot even keep up with just the front scans as I receive numerous e-mails notifying me of books on my want list being available in upcoming auctions...and sometimes it takes weeks and sometimes up to days before the auction begins until a scan is posted! I've actually had to call directly to request for certain scans to be posted in auction previews so I could plan accordingly (if that book met my presentation standards).

-Professor Pecora