• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller Art - Not Authorized To Sell
2 2

36 posts in this topic

To All,

If Metropolis Comics, or anyone else other than me, contacts you about buying the following Frank Miller art,

Sin City: The Big Fat Kill

The Dark Knight Strikes Again #3 pages

2 Lone Wolf and Cub covers

300 #4 cover and 2 interior pages.....

please be aware that who ever offers you the art does not have the authority nor the permission to sell the art.

These people do not have the art in their possession.

The art is owned by Lynn Varley and I am her authorized agent to sell the above mentioned art.

Do not offer to buy any of the art from anyone other than me, as you will not receive any art.

This note from Lynn Varley should make everything clear.

To clients of Mitch Itkowitz,

I am told that several pieces of art were made available for sale by

Metropolis Comics, an entity I'd never heard of until

my representative, Mitch Itkowitz, made me aware of them tonight.

The art in question is owned by me. I have not

authorized Metropolis Comics nor do I intend

to authorize Metropolis Comics to sell any art on my

behalf.

Lynn Varley

Thank you,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

To All,

If Metropolis Comics, or anyone else other than me, contacts you about buying the following Frank Miller art,

please be aware that who ever offers you the art does not have the authority nor the permission to sell the art.

The art is owned by Lynn Varley and I am her authorized agent to sell the above mentioned art.

Do not offer to buy any of the art from anyone other than me, as you will not receive any art.

behalf.

Lynn Varley

Thank you,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

I hope your post is not implying the actual Metropolis Comics is doing this, but rather unknown individual or individuals impersonating Metropolis Comics as part of phishing type scheme?

Edited by 35CentEra

Not accusing anyone of "phishing".

And yes, I'm talking about Metropolis Comics.

I'm quite sure that Metropolis didn't know the circumstances behind the art, but I had to mention them, as they were the people who were "offered" the art.

MI

Yeah, I don't get that. Do they actually possess the art? I mean who actually physically has it? I don't think Metro would sell art they don't physically have on hand.

Lynn Varley has physical possession of the art, nor did she authorize anyone other than me to sell the art.

Like I said, I'm sure Metropolis doesn't know the full story.

MI

To All,

behalf.

Lynn Varley

Thank you,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

Sorry to hear this is happening to Lynn and to you Mitch.

Sadly, this seems to be happening more and more these days. It's happened to me and to several people I know well on all kinds of artwork over the last several years. People shopping art they don't own, don't have possession of and aren't authorized to negotiate deals for.

There actually used to be a website where none of the artwork was owned by the dealer "selling" the pieces. They were scans taken from other dealer's sites with prices marked up.

Smart of you to clear the air to make sure no one makes a mistake on a piece of art they are offered.

Thanks.

I'm quite sure if the person at Metropolis knew what was going on, he would not have offered the art, but who knows.

To All,

behalf.

Lynn Varley

Thank you,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

Sadly, this seems to be happening more and more these days. It's happened to me and to several people I know well on all kinds of artwork over the last several years. People shopping art they don't own, don't have possession of and aren't authorized to negotiate deals for.

There actually used to be a website where none of the artwork was owned by the dealer "selling" the pieces. They were scans taken from other dealer's sites with prices marked up.

Smart of you to clear the air to make sure no one makes a mistake on a piece of art they are offered.

I would tend to agree. That's not their M.O. to do otherwise. There's no upside.

Thanks.

I'm quite sure if the person at Metropolis knew what was going on, he would not have offered the art, but who knows.

To All,

behalf.

Lynn Varley

Thank you,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

Mitch,

It has become apparent that instead of contacting me via telephone to discuss this situation professionally, you preferred to act hastily without the facts and make false public statements on multiple forums and send out emails to all of your clients accusing my company of wrongdoings. It didn’t have to get to this point and could have easily been explained over a phone call as I did absolutely nothing wrong.

I never offered any of this art for sale. I categorically deny it. That is a lie. Yesterday, I was asked my opinion about pricing on some Frank Miller art by my client Frank Miller, who was offered the art in a list format with pricing by Lynn Varney, who was legally obligated to offer him the art. After doing my own research I called a collector who knows the Miller market very well. I made it clear nothing was for sale, I was doing research and wanted his opinion. I never offered him a piece of art for him to buy. In fact, the collector I spoke with, who later contacted you, made it abundantly clear to you that that was the case. At no time did I say I was buying the art, offering to sell the art or anything of that nature. I was doing market research on your pricing for the person Lynn offered the art to. To do research, I do not need your or Lynn’s permission.

You have defamed me publicly over something that could have been resolved by you picking up the phone and calling me. I take my reputation very seriously. I have worked for over 30 years to establish my good standing in the comic book and art community. I will not tolerate it being besmirched by you. Now that you know the facts I would kindly ask for a full retraction of your false accusations. If one is not made I will contact my legal counsel.

All the best to you and Lynn in selling the amazing art that Frank created. It is truly beautiful. His creations are one of a kind.

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

COO

Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.

ComicConnect.com

MetropolisGallerynyc.com

Vince,

I've sent you a private email, and consider this matter done.

I now have the originals in my possession.

I hope you enjoy continued success in all your endeavors.

Best,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

So you're no longer publicly accusing Metropolis Comics of attempting to sell property they don't own?

If so, a public retraction and apology would be the stand up thing to do.

Vince,

Best,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

So you're no longer publicly accusing Metropolis Comics of attempting to sell property they don't own?

If that's what Mitch was saying then I misunderstood him entirely. I thought he was under the impression that someone else was offering the artwork through Metropolis and was sure that Metro had was doing so innocently and being mislead by the person who came to them with the list.

He mentioned a few times that he was sure that Metro was innocent of doing anything intentionally wrong, and if they were acting that it was because they were misinformed.

Shows how different people can read the same thing and get different things out of it I guess.

Vince,

Best,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

If that's what Mitch was saying then I misunderstood him entirely. I thought he was under the impression that someone else was offering the artwork through Metropolis and was sure that Metro had was doing so innocently and being mislead by the person who came to them with the list.

He mentioned a few times that he was sure that Metro was innocent of doing anything intentionally wrong, and if they were acting that it was because they were misinformed.

Shows how different people can read the same thing and get different things out of it I guess.

Perhaps you're right but he did post this. Clearly this is a misunderstanding but it hasn't been handled well.

"This note from Lynn Varley should make everything clear.

my representative, Mitch Itkowitz, made me aware of them tonight."

Vince,

Best,

Mitch Itkowitz

Graphic Collectibles

I agree with Chris I read it as Mitch heard someone offered Metropolis a list of Miller art that Lynn has in her possession. Mitch posted it publicly as to warn others if they were approached in a similar way. Vince posted that Frank was the one who gave Vince a list to get FMV, which does change the situation. But Mitch was not privy to that when he first posted here. Looks like it was a misunderstanding, Mitch in no way accused Metropolis of selling the art just that they had been offered it.

I was confused when I read the initial post as it seemed like there was more than just what was posted that was going on. My take on the post was that Mitch and Lynn felt Metropolis was doing something wrong. The first question that ran through my mind was "why is this on a public forum and not being handled via direct communication?"