• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller Art - Not Authorized To Sell
2 2

36 posts in this topic

If I wanted to let everyone know the details / contract between Lynn and Frank, I would have done so.

Since it is none of anyone's business, suffice to say that I "accused" no one.

Merely made a statement that Metropolis OR ANY ONE ELSE had no authorization or permission to offer, or even inquire about said art.

There is a certain protocol I have to go through when I get to sell the art, and confidentiality was broken the second Frank presented the art to Metro.

Now since the list of art I mention was sent via email, Metro knew that I was Lynns rep and yet they still attempted to ascertain prices, when prices were posted on the original list I sent to Franks official rep. At no time did I send anything to Metro. That was Franks doing.

There is a 3 day window in which Frank has to buy art. The collector was contacted after the third day, at which time Frank's window of opportunity was closed.

Now, obviously Vince knew that I am Lynns agent yet contacted at least one collector for information.

It would not have mattered what the collector said as the prices listed on the email list are not negotiable.

No one but Frank is supposed to see that list. That's the way it's been for 6 years.

Now if Metro took this as an attack, it wasn't my intention.

I'm just protecting my consignor as anyone else who reps an artist would. Lynn certainly never had an idea what was going on.

Handled badly on both sides, maybe.

Why didn't I call Metro? Why didn't they call me? They knew I was the agent and it was after the 3 day grace period.

Are Metro bad people? Nope. Misinformed? Possibly but who knows. I certainly wasn't privy to any conversation that took place between Frank and Metro.

MI

C'mon people... Buyers shouldn't be allowed to do any due diligence or market research! They definitely shouldn't be allowed to contact a network of third-party experts to verify pricing, provenance, or authenticity! And if you absolutely must let them do these idiotic things, only give them 3 days... MAX. Be sure to maintain the circle of silence at all costs. (Don't worry, this transparency stuff is just a fad.) Possible punishments may include making vague accusations on public forums.

Seriously, I don't know the details of this transaction, but it was aired publicly and there are some examples here of the BS that buyers/collectors (of every level, even Frank Miller) have to put up with. Even if prices are firm, we have a right to know if we are getting raked over the coals.

I also have mixed feelings about the collector who was consulted about pricing by Metropolis then reaching back out to Graphic Collectibles. Is that increasing transparency or is it someone breaching trust to stir up unnecessary drama? This has happened to me a few times. I'd like to hear what others think.

Also, I can see how that could lead to the beginnings of shadiness. Buyer: "Hey, how much do you think this page is worth?" Consulting Collector:"$65K" Buyer: "Awesome, thanks!" Buyer hangs up. Consulting Collector calls Rep: "Buyer contacted me. I did you a solid and told him it was worth $65K. Now, about that cover that I want..." I feel like if someone contacts you for your help and your opinion, don't abuse that. And buyers should always consult with multiple fellow collectors or sources to verify pricing and guard against this type of behavior.

Buyer: "Hey, how much do you think this page is worth?" Consulting Collector:"$65K" Buyer: "Awesome, thanks!" Buyer hangs up. Consulting Collector calls Rep: "Buyer contacted me. I did you a solid and told him it was worth $65K. Now, about that cover that I want..." I feel like if someone contacts you for your help and your opinion, don't abuse that. And buyers should always consult with multiple fellow collectors or sources to verify pricing and guard against this type of behavior.

This exact scenario happened to me two or three times last year with two dealers. It has caused me to lose nearly all faith in a lot of comic art dealers and is why I've been buying directly from collectors on CAF, instead of off a dealer's website.

Buyer: "Hey, how much do you think this page is worth?" Consulting Collector:"$65K" Buyer: "Awesome, thanks!" Buyer hangs up. Consulting Collector calls Rep: "Buyer contacted me. I did you a solid and told him it was worth $65K. Now, about that cover that I want..." I feel like if someone contacts you for your help and your opinion, don't abuse that. And buyers should always consult with multiple fellow collectors or sources to verify pricing and guard against this type of behavior.

This exact scenario happened to me two or three times last year with two dealers. It has caused me to lose nearly all faith in a lot of comic art dealers and is why I've been buying directly from collectors on CAF, instead of off a dealer's website.

“The truth is that all men having power ought to b mistrusted.”

- James Madison

Edited by 35CentEra

Sad truth. Happens all too much in this hobby.

...from the emails, it appears that (as part of their divorce?), Lynn has to provide Frank a 3-day exclusivity period to purchase art in her possession that he created prior to her selling it. Frank has to pay the list price that Lynn plans to offer the artwork to the public. That is what I gleaned from the various emails. Those sorts of "exclusive windows to purchase" are fairly standard in divorces with respect to property such as beach homes, etc.

I think that we have been given a window into the private affairs of two artists. I don't know either Mitch or Vincent very well at all, just cursory interactions really, but think it is better to not speculate and let them, and Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, handle their affairs privately as they have in the past.

Too many commas in that wanna-be sentence!

...from the emails, it appears that (as part of their divorce?), Lynn has to provide Frank a 3-day exclusivity period to purchase art in her possession that he created prior to her selling it. Frank has to pay the list price that Lynn plans to offer the artwork to the public. That is what I gleaned from the various emails. Those sorts of "exclusive windows to purchase" are fairly standard in divorces with respect to property such as beach homes, etc.

And how is the former spouse not getting gouged in those scenarios if they can't establish FMV? Curious to know if there are usually appraisers brought in.

And how is the former spouse not getting gouged in those scenarios if they can't establish FMV? Curious to know if there are usually appraisers brought in.

It's a form of contract. Whatever the two parties agree to are the terms under which they each perform. It's not about fairness or even accuracy, just what the two parties agreed to say and do.

It's a form of contract. Whatever the two parties agree to are the terms under which they each perform. It's not about fairness or even accuracy, just what the two parties agreed to say and do.

Ah, OK. That's rough, but I guess you get what you contract for.

If Lynn`s price was whatever she wanted to set and not tied to any FMV mechanism, and therefore Frank`s only option was to either accept or not accept her price, then I see absolutely no problem with him checking around, or asking Metro to check around, to gauge what the market value might be. Otherwise how could he make an informed decision as to whether or not to accept her prices?

If Lynn`s price was whatever she wanted to set and not tied to any FMV mechanism, and therefore Frank`s only option was to either accept or not accept her price, then I see absolutely no problem with him checking around, or asking Metro to check around, to gauge what the market value might be. Otherwise how could he make an informed decision as to whether or not to accept her prices?

100%. Logical due diligence.

I don't presume to know what the agreement calls for in specifics, just that there is an agreement that they both consented to, and there are undoubtedly specific terms they each agreed to be bound by.

I don't presume to know what the agreement calls for in specifics, just that there is an agreement that they both consented to, and there are undoubtedly specific terms they each agreed to be bound by.

[font:Book Antiqua]And Mr. Itkowitz would be Happy to remind every one of the terms..![/font]

:banana: