• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil #158 CGC 9.8 WP (Happy 60th Birthday Frank Miller!)

15 posts in this topic

In celebration of Frank Miller's milestone 60th Birthday today (1/27/2017), and in honor of one of our living legendary comics creators, please enjoy the write-up on my copy of Daredevil #158 CGC 9.8 WP, which is featured in my Daredevil #1-#310 CGC Registry set entitled, "See No Evil, Fear No Evil!"

-Professor Pecora

Daredevil #158 showcases the 1st Frank Miller Daredevil + the origin and "death" of Death-Stalker!

Published in May of 1979, this landmark issue is widely coveted by both Bronze Age and Daredevil collectors alike, as the legendary Frank Miller made his artistic debut for the Daredevil title!

This classic cover depicts Daredevil standing in the middle of a graveyard in front of his prearranged burial location with the ground hollowed out six feet deep! With an eerie full moon shining brightly against the night sky and with the words "Rest In Peace Daredevil" carved into his tombstone, Miller solidified this chilling image by drawing Death-Stalker teleporting from a stone structure and descending on Daredevil from behind!

In addition, with Daredevil's bright red suit, the Daredevil logo outlined in red and with the midnight sky depicted in contrasting purple hues; the colors really pop and make this classic cover very appealing to the eye thanks to a collaborative effort with famed inker Joe Rubinstein!

Shortly after issue #158, Frank Miller became one of Marvel's rising stars as he began the process of revitalizing a title that was rumored to be canceled. In fact, beginning with issue #148 in September of 1977, Marvel decided to start publishing the title bimonthly due to lackluster appeal and disappointing sales.

However, Frank Miller's success came with some challenges. For instance, he did not get along with former writer Roger McKenzie and even considered quitting the series because he disliked his scripts. After being impressed with a backup story Miller wrote and sensing his unhappiness from a lack of chemistry, newly hired editor Denny O'Neil fired McKenzie and gave Miller a chance to take over both roles as writer and penciler.

Enter issue #168 published in January of 1981; not only was this issue Miller's 1st Daredevil issue in which he drew all the artwork and wrote the story, but he also created and introduced a major character named Elektra, who would dramatically change the Daredevil storylines and ignite the title to surging demands! As a direct result of instantly attracting a larger audience, Marvel decided to once again start publishing the title monthly, beginning with issue #171 in June of 1981!

After nearly 4 years of Daredevil being published bimonthly and at risk of being discontinued, Frank Miller breathed new life into the title with his multitalented skills and evolved it into one of Marvel's best-selling titles. His cover art is considered some of the best in the title's history and his dark themes and storylines kept the fans craving for more! In addition to creating the enigmatic ninja assassin Elektra, Frank Miller also created and introduced Stick, the Chaste and the Hand during his tenure, all of which are integral characters portrayed in the hit Daredevil series on Netflix.

Frank Miller's legendary Daredevil run concluded with issue #191 in February of 1983, for a total of 33 issues! With all that Frank Miller accomplished during his nearly four year run, it's no wonder why collectors will always view Daredevil #158 as a major Daredevil and late Bronze Age Key!

In closing, I purchased this immaculate copy from eBay in February of 2016 and was very excited to add this gem to my collection! This 9.8 white-paged beauty is the best-looking copy I have ever seen! It sports PERFECT cover wrap, PERFECT centering and is PERFECTLY cut! The edges are sharp, the spine is drum-tight and the colors are rich and bright!

Most copies that have been offered for sale in the market were angled miswraps or you could see parts of the back cover from the front. However, this unique specimen outshines them all and stands in a class of its own!

A special shout-out goes to Donna of "outoftheboxcomics2013" on eBay for selling me this bad boy!

Happy Collecting!

-Professor Pecora

17832.jpg

See more journals by Professor Pecora

Beautiful book. The wrap is not 100% even, but it's still much, much better than 95% of all the copies I've seen out there. Congrats.

Thanks Brian! You know that's exactly what I said when I initially purchased the book; that it's so close to being 100% perfectly wrapped, but it was better than any copy I have come across in years so I had to grab it! However, when I looked at the book up close, it wasn't 100% centered in it's holder, so hence why I had it reholdered (which is what you see in the scan)!

I still wasn't pleased with it, because it could be slightly turned so it will display perfectly - as it should! So I submitted it again to CGC for a reholder, but when I got it back it was positioned worse than the current scan I posted! So I actually have to send it back AGAIN...with a picture and specific notes so that hopefully the CGC encapsulators will reholder it precisely so that it will finally display as "that perfect copy!" ;) I pray they get it right this 3rd time around! (lol)

-Professor Pecora

Daredevil is my favorite Marvel Superhero. I always have loved this cover. Great to see a post from you...How is the music etc going?

Thanks Ronny! I appreciate you asking me about my music! I've actually written "8" new songs since this past July! I most recently wrote a love ballad entitled "Be Mine" that would be the perfect song to release on Valentine's Day (the women will LOVE it!), but there is just too much expenses to manage in order to get in professionally recorded, mixed and distributed on iTunes, etc. on time as well as paying for the graphic design and my personal website update.

I just don't have the capital right now as January really hit me hard with a ton of bills including annual renewals on my web hosting and domain names. The good news is that I am writing the best and most powerful songs of my entire life now that I have once again been single and living in my own place for almost 1 year post divorce!

I thought about selling off some of my books to generate the funds, but I am not quite ready to make that sacrifice yet, but I very well may have to do so in order to make my music career dream a reality. The other option is getting a second job (besides driving Uber - too much wear and tear on the car) just to dump the funds into recording and mixing costs, purchasing exclusive rights to tracks, marketing and promotion and distribution costs.

We'll see...I will have to make a decision soon. I really do not want to sell off my books yet, because I also worked really hard in the last 2 years to assemble my current collection. I one day would like to build a custom CGC Comic Vault (as you described in your previous journal) in my future house! I own some of the finest copies of Key issues in the world, so if I can meet my music business costs without having to sell off my books...I won't sell them!

I think a reasonable and more attainable goal is to at least have my song "Be Mine" recorded and mixed by February 14, 2017! That date is very symbolic as one year ago from that date will mark the day in which my now ex-wife gave me back her diamond engagement ring and wedding band! I woke up and it was placed in the box on my nightstand next to me...and she left for the day with her friends...so I think it would be awesome to have a brand new song freshly recorded by this Valentine's Day!

How is your CGC Comic Vault coming along and your painting?

-Professor Pecora

Cmon Professor, you know those miswraps give the book character! Even so, I will concede that's a beautiful copy you have there.

What up Surfer! You know I never looked at miswraps from the perspective of "having it's own unique character." It's very interesting. :) I'm not sure if I could ever purchase miswrapped copies though (although I purchased some in my novice days of CGC collecting); for me personally, saying that a miswrap has it's own character would be my way to psychologically convince myself to be content and secure with my copy (when I know there is a better one out there)! (lol)

Being so OCD like this actually prevents me from bidding on every book that becomes available at auction that is on my want list; if it doesn't meet my personal presentation standards...I'll just sit back in the cut and wait until that perfect to near-perfect copy comes along! But hey, that's just "me" though :-) To each their own ;)

Hope life is treating you well on your end! It's good to hear from you!

-Professor Pecora

Nice writeup on Frank Miller's significance to the character and also to the comic industry. Daredevil 158 will always be a key in my book.

Thanks bro! I see you're repping the Boogie Down! I am also from New York; I actually lived in the BX for 7 years! I lived in two different locations; E. 180th & Tremont (2 & 5 Train) and Castle Hill & Westchester Ave (6 train). Keep it LIVE! :-)

-Professor Pecora

Need you a Miller signed copy to go along with it I think! :headbang:

What up Matt! Yeah man, that's not a bad idea at all! Frank's signature is definitely more unique and nowhere near as saturated as Stan Lee's signature is, although we all love the icon who started the Marvel Universe!

I would have to get me another 9.8 WP copy though that presents similar to my current one. I think there is one on eBay that looks great, but as you already know, I have "other books" I am working on paying off! (lol)

-Professor Pecora

Nice writeup on Frank Miller's significance to the character and also to the comic industry. Daredevil 158 will always be a key in my book.

Thanks bro! I see you're repping the Boogie Down! I am also from New York; I actually lived in the BX for 7 years! I lived in two different locations; E. 180th & Tremont (2 & 5 Train) and Castle Hill & Westchester Ave (6 train). Keep it LIVE! :-)

-Professor Pecora

Good to know. I can tell you are a NYer because you talk about the trains by your house. We always have to add that. No wonder Daredevil speaks to you. DD is from the hood. Hell's Kitchen back in the day was more like the Bronx than it is now :D