• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age DCs...Have a piece of Rhubarb...
9 9

665 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Here's one I kept from an original owner collection that walked into my friend's LCS ..... several hundred 50's books. Brian got several. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

gXU7cKJ.jpg

Love it.  Not an issue you see very often.

42 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of tough DC first issue from this period, although not as tough as used to be thought. 

its2.10.jpg

I beg to disagree.  There are only nine 9 copies in the census:  1 in 8.0  1 in 7.0    1 in 6.5.  Let's just conclude that this title is very HTF and just rare in the High grades and well-nigh impossible in Uber HG--9.2 and above.  I bought a copy way back in 1986 at SDCC and submitted it to CGC about 8 years ago and it came back 7.0 with OW/W pages.  I opened the book once in my life.  

3 minutes ago, SLR5 said:
52 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of tough DC first issue from this period, although not as tough as used to be thought. 

its2.10.jpg

I beg to disagree.  There are only nine 9 copies in the census:  1 in 8.0  1 in 7.0    1 in 6.5.  Let's just conclude that this title is very HTF and just rare in the High grades and well-nigh impossible in Uber HG--9.2 and above.  I bought a copy way back in 1986 at SDCC and submitted it to CGC about 8 years ago and it came back 7.0 with OW/W pages.  I opened the book once in my life.

I would agree with that -- falls into the "rare in high grade" category.  Nine copies is actually a fairly large number for early '50s DC.  I think many of the non-super hero books (and some of the super hero books) probably fall into that category.  My impression is that people used to say that you never see a copy, which we now know isn't true.  This is my second lower grade copy and I would guess there are probably a fair number of other unslabbed lower grade copies out there. 

So, I'm not sure if across all grades, it's much more scarce than many other DCs of the era, although, as you say, probably tougher in high grade than most.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I would agree with that -- falls into the "rare in high grade" category.  Nine copies is actually a fairly large number for early '50s DC.  I think many of the non-super hero books (and some of the super hero books) probably fall into that category.  My impression is that people used to say that you never see a copy, which we now know isn't true.  This is my second lower grade copy and I would guess there are probably a fair number of other unslabbed lower grade copies out there. 

So, I'm not sure if across all grades, it's much more scarce than many other DCs of the era, although, as you say, probably tougher in high grade than most.

I think it is pretty cool that there are nine slabbed copies. That means the three folks that want one can each have three copies to choose from.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I think it is pretty cool that there are nine slabbed copies. That means the three folks that want one can each have three copies to choose from.

Oh, yeah?  I bet some of those puzzles would stump you, Mr. Smartypants! :baiting:

I'm not sure which I like more; Kwizzlers, Dotto Zoo, or Scrambled Squares. Endless frivolity for the entire family.

Edited by MrBedrock

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree.  Occasionally, I see lower-grade copies but I might add they are very low grades most likely due to the target audience back in the mid-1950s.  And I will add that your copy here is very nice and presents quite well.  If I saw a copy like that either online or a show if the price was right, I would snag it.  Congrats.