• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age DCs...Have a piece of Rhubarb...
9 9

665 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2019 at 10:35 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

New addition to my Atomic DC collection thanks to a boardie...I've been looking for one of these for 3 years...

-----------------------------------------SA21.jpg

This was Murphy Anderson's first art for DC, though not his first published.  He came to NYC to work for Jerry Siegal who made big promises about working for Ziff-Davis which did not last very long.

Murphy went over to Julie Schwartz at DC and drew this cover as his method was to have a catchy cover drawn first and then create a story around it.

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

This was Murphy Anderson's first art for DC, though not his first published.  He came to NYC to work for Jerry Siegal who made big promises about working for Ziff-Davis which did not last very long.

Murphy went over to Julie Schwartz at DC and drew this cover as his method was to have a catchy cover drawn first and then create a story around it.

Didn't he draw for Fiction House first?

1 minute ago, buttock said:
3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Didn't he draw for Fiction House first?

First art for DC.

He started at FH then moved on to the Buck Rogers syndicated strip which did not work out well.  He left NYC, went back home and was only brought back into comics through the enticement of Jerry Siegel. 

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

First art for DC.

He started at FH then moved on to the Buck Rogers syndicated strip which did not work out well.  He left NYC, went back home and was only brought back into comics through the enticement of Jerry Siegel. 

Gotcha.  I thought you were saying he started in comics at Z-D

On 3/1/2019 at 7:35 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

New addition to my Atomic DC collection thanks to a boardie...I've been looking for one of these for 3 years...

-----------------------------------------SA21.jpg

NOt the best on distinguishing artists but I think that is a Murphy Anderson cover.That's a classic cover--at least I think so.  Always wanted on but I could never find one at a decent price even on mid or low grade.

19 hours ago, SLR5 said:

NOt the best on distinguishing artists but I think that is a Murphy Anderson cover.That's a classic cover--at least I think so.  Always wanted on but I could never find one at a decent price even on mid or low grade.

I couldn't find one at a decent price either, so I bought this 6.0 for a more exorbitant price...:cry:  It was under $261 though...lol

6 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I couldn't find one at a decent price either, so I bought this 6.0 for a more exorbitant price...:cry:  It was under $261 though...lol

On 3/29/2019 at 9:32 PM, SLR5 said:

6 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That's a good price.  Wish I could find one like that so I finally might settle for one in Good or Good/Very Good.  You bought a beautiful book.

Just got these two books from another Boardie...the Danger Trail is pretty beat...maybe a 1.8 (I think the original owner took a shower with this one  lol but the nicer copies are a little too pricey for me)...while the Gangbuster is pretty decent (i used to own the Mile High copy, so I wanted a replacement).  Both were very cheap.

46588487265_6f89ed8b4a_c.jpg

33627186698_1f2fbc21a7_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian