• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What books go in the bank safe deposit box? You decide!

73 posts in this topic

You do not seem to take into account just placing them one over each other will end up cracking multiple CGC cases with the pressure (I know I have done this myself in the past). I only do so now if the comic has a CGC Pro slab to protect each book. That will cut the amount of books yo ucan place in one single safe but at least your CGC cases will not be damaged.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have cut two pieces of cardboard and placed them on either side of the CGC slab and paper taped them together. Pertinent info is written on each side of cardboard. The box fits 10 this way. I'm hoping the cardboard will help protect slabs in the event of a natural catastrophe or the weight problem. Is 10 slabs really to0 heavy?

What is your bank charging you per year for this box?

Seems like it would be a waste if you could get a collectibles insurance policy for less, and probably cover more books.

$380 a year. Box also holds important documents, photos and family objects that having them lost/stolen, but insured, is meaningless.

Seems like it would be a waste if you could get a collectibles insurance policy for less, and probably cover more books.

$380 a year. Box also holds important documents, photos and family objects that having them lost/stolen, but insured, is meaningless.

Banks can be nuked, burned, flooded, hit by asteroids, and swallowed by the earth the same as houses.

So why pay for the privilege, especially when (for probably less $$ annually) you can insure the replaceable stuff, and enjoy the irreplaceable stuff while anyone and everyone who cares is still alive...?

Banks can be nuked, burned, flooded, hit by asteroids, and swallowed by the earth the same as houses.

So why pay for the privilege, especially when (for probably less $$ annually) you can insure the replaceable stuff, and enjoy the irreplaceable stuff while anyone and everyone who cares is still alive...?

These are all very good points that I have no answers for.

You do not seem to take into account just placing them one over each other will end up cracking multiple CGC cases with the pressure (I know I have done this myself in the past). I only do so now if the comic has a CGC Pro slab to protect each book. That will cut the amount of books yo ucan place in one single safe but at least your CGC cases will not be damaged.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have cut two pieces of cardboard and placed them on either side of the CGC slab and paper taped them together. Pertinent info is written on each side of cardboard. The box fits 10 this way. I'm hoping the cardboard will help protect slabs in the event of a natural catastrophe or the weight problem. Is 10 slabs really to0 heavy?

10 slabs seem fine... Just be careful when moving them.

... (Look I know the books aren't much :sorry: but I'm practicing for when I get big books!) . . .

Sweet list, I remember your first thread about the horse-sized inheritance. Sounds like this could be just the beginning if those aren't "big". Several hundred for a comic is a pretty good start though I get that several thousand could also be "small," in context.

Did you submit any of these yourself or buy them all slabbed ? You should post some pics !!

I think it is much safer to have CGC Pro slabs for each book.

I would only put these in a safe on your list:

Daredevil #168 (newstand) 9.6 (I would have CGC grade it 1st)

Star Wars #1 9.6

Strange Tales #110 3.5

X-Men #94 9.4

Giant Size X-Men #1 9.2

House of Secrets #92 8.0

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

Why would you have a collection that you can't readily go through, and put away? I have single books that are worth your list combined, and I wouldn't think of putting them away in any kind of safety deposit box.

#1: do what makes you happy.

#2: F everybody else (why? because life is too short for you not to follow #1)

Anyway, I got my books in a temp controlled SDB.

They are in CGC cases and I took high quality scans of them. I keep the scans on my phone and look at them often. I go to the SDB every other month to check on them.

(thumbs u

Is the vault climate controlled? On Long Island, few were. In Vegas ,almost all are.

If it's not, you are destroying the books. Extreme temperature swings are just about the worse thing for your books.Bank closes at noon on Saturday, reopens Monday morning. Tuesday morning when there is a holiday.

$380 a year is way to much.

Edited by shadroch

I went ahead and got an insurance policy for my books because my boys and I like to pull them out and look at them too often to stick in a vault!

Daredevil #168 (newstand) 9.6

Star Wars #1 9.6

Strange Tales #110 3.5

X-Men #94 9.4

Giant Size X-Men #1 9.2

House of Secrets #92 8.0

Marvel Premiere #47 9.8

Amazing Spiderman #129 8.0

Daredevil #158 9.4

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spiderman #1 9.0

Edited by comicquant

BTW, I left anything DC out because I'm a Marvel snob... Principle over value in this case! (thumbs u

I went ahead and got an insurance policy for my books because my boys and I like to pull them out and look at them too often to stick in a vault!

Star Wars #1 9.6

Strange Tales #110 3.5

X-Men #94 9.4

Giant Size X-Men #1 9.2

House of Secrets #92 8.0

Marvel Premiere #47 9.8

Daredevil #158 9.4

:whistle:

I gotta bank safe deposit box. It will hold 10 CGC slabs and I've got 17. Help me decide what stays safe at the bank and what gets robbed at my home. (Look I know the books aren't much :sorry: but I'm practicing for when I get big books!) Just play along, ok! Here's what I got:

Star Wars #1 9.6

Strange Tales #110 3.5

Dark Knight Returns #1 9.8

Dark Knight Returns #1 9.6 (SS Miller/Janson)

X-Men #94 9.4

Giant Size X-Men #1 9.2

House of Secrets #92 8.0

Marvel Premiere #47 9.8

Inhumans #1 9.0

Moon Knight #1 9.6

Killing Joke 9.6

Daredevil #158 9.4

Invaders #1 9.6

Defenders #1 6.5