• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Digital Pencils / Physical Inks - Thoughts?

48 posts in this topic

I think about this every once in a while because I really liked an inks only page that is sold by the inker as "Digital pencils & physical inks" (by different artists), where no physical pencils exist.

From what I've pieced together from auctions, the penciler would occasionally pencil a drawing (as separate panels? I've only seen 5). These are TIGHT pencils.

Then, I assume the penciller scanned them and re-arranged and in one case flipped panels digitally. Perhaps digitally "enhanced" the pencils, but I don't see any changes in the 5 pencils I've seen.

I've been reluctant to buy the inks only art because of this, even though it's the final published artwork.

Well, the main pencils splash I wanted finally came up for sale (IT EXISTS!) and I got it. Gorgeous. I think this is one of the best artists working today, and he's just getting better.

I assume inks will present even better, but since this is a 3/5 splash pencils and the inks only page has other panels, the pencils only page almost seems like a full splash with empty space.

Do I get the inks only page too? It's the most I've spent on a pencils only page.

I got the pencils page for $X and the inks only page is priced at $2.5X. That is, if the pencils were $500 the inks only page is $1,250.

While waiting for this page, another one (pencils & inks on same board) came up by the same penciller but different inker that I HAD to get as well, so I got that one first.

Edited by Twanj

12 hours ago, Twanj said:

I got the pencils for $X and the ink page is priced at $2.5X. That is, if the pencils were $500 the inks only page is $1,250.

While waiting for this page, another one (pencils & inks on same board) came up by the same penciller but different inked that I HAD to get as well, so I got that one first.

Was it a McNiven Wolverine?  Because he works that way on the pencils, illustrating each panel on a separate paper.  There was an awesome Wolverine just on ebay, that I lost ( congrats if it was to you (thumbsu )

So to say the pencils are all digital, seems a misleading.  I considered this quandary myself.  But since I didn't win the auction, I no longer have to worry about buying the inks xD

If no physical pencils exist, then I'm totally fine with the inks. It's the only original art that exists for a given page. 

If pencils and inks exists, pencils all the way because that's the original. The inks usually look better to me, but owning the superior and first version of the work is ultimately more important to me than what I like to look at more. I only own a couple of inks where there's a pencil version floating around somewhere, and they actually bug me a good bit. A good example would be Secret Invasion pages. I'd be buying the heck out of them if they were pencils/inks together, but they are separate, so I only have a couple of them. 

I am most interested in the penciler. He is the one who faced the blank page and tamed that beast!  This is doesn’t diminish the inkers contribution. I definitely understand how hard it is to produce good quality inks, inkers need to be appreciated... I love inkers I am impressed with what they can do, but for me at the end of the day it feels like less than original art, it is more like ”almost original art”... because the most important part... the initial artistic creation is not original.

What I would love for inkers that are inking over printouts to do is- in the same repoblue ink type a description of the process at the bottom space of the page. “John Smith’s original inks over a digital printout of Jim Smith’s pencils” 

This would help future purchasers to know exactly what the are buying without having to track down the inker or the rep to find out how original I the original art is. 

4 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Was it a McNiven Wolverine?  Because he works that way on the pencils, illustrating each panel on a separate paper.  There was an awesome Wolverine just on ebay, that I lost ( congrats if it was to you (thumbsu )

So to say the pencils are all digital, seems a misleading.  I considered this quandary myself.  But since I didn't win the auction, I no longer have to worry about buying the inks xD

LOL! Yep.

Here's the page:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1613928&GSub=0&GCat=103642&UCat=103642

IMG_7871.thumb.jpg.66d9d098b9140cd7bee1289e7cf0593f.jpg

ReturnOfWolverine_5_23_published.thumb.jpg.78d4ab04579d71eb79488a282f75c703.jpg

Edited by Twanj

2 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

congrats! My heart wasn’t in it, so I’m really happy that you found the page you’ve been after! Great price too! 

Thanks, I really do love it! It really is a work of art, McNiven is so good. And thanks for letting me get it for a steal, compared to other smaller panel pencils.