• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Comics Presents 22 Whitman
2 2

77 posts in this topic

I'm new here, been watching the site and reading lots lately. Decided to join because I need some information. I noticed that this comic is finally for sale, and wondering if it's worth picking up or not. Any advice would be great,

If you have that kind of cash to spend, I don't think you would be on here asking for advice.

Your right I don't have that kind of cash, I can spend about 2K on a book, and I am sure this would be a good price for the buyer, then again he/she could say no. I have been collecting these Whitman's for awhile and trying to complete the set.

That eBay seller is dreaming if he/she thinks that VG copy is worth $5,000.

Take a zero off and divide by two to get a true value in that condition.

Well if you have a copy for that price, I will buy it from you now. My guess is the seller will get at least $1500 minimum for it. There is no sales data in over 3 years for this book.

If you have that kind of cash to spend, I don't think you would be on here asking for advice.

Your right I don't have that kind of cash, I can spend about 2K on a book, and I am sure this would be a good price for the buyer, then again he/she could say no. I have been collecting these Whitman's for awhile and trying to complete the set.

I feel for you Bloomis as I know what it's like to need that one book to complete a set. I had a similar 'buy or leave' conundrum with the ASM 184 All Detergent. Unfortunately, when certain books take on near mythical status, and that catches on, anyone who finds one puts an eye watering price tag on it. You can't really blame them, as it's likely a collector with deep pockets will bite rather than wait. I waited, and that patience was rewarded in the end. Only you know what you're prepared to pay. If you're uncomfortable, leave it. Make an offer which you think is reasonable. You never know.

I've sold two copies of this book.

A CGC 8.5 and a raw VG/FN.

and that was when there were only 7 known copies.

Since then, about 7 more have surfaced and helped

lower prices as the quota of collectors who were willing

to pay big money for this book has been filled.

I know this book very well and that VG copy will never

sell for $1,500.00. I'd be surprised if it sells for $500.00

I've sold two copies of this book.

A CGC 8.5 and a raw VG/FN.

and that was when there were only 7 known copies.

Since then, about 7 more have surfaced and helped

lower prices as the quota of collectors who were willing

to pay big money for this book has been filled.

I know this book very well and that VG copy will never

sell for $1,500.00. I'd be surprised if it sells for $500.00

You might be right, but in this day and age of super rare Variants (Example Amazing Spiderman Dell'otto) selling for 9K and there are over 200 copies of that book alone. Supply and Demand has changed with collector's the past 2 years. If the seller would go low enough I would consider picking this up at that price, but I doubt that the seller would sell it that low. My guess is this auction will go unsold, and the book will be either relisted right away or taken down and sold at a con.

I contacted the seller to see if it was still available, he said he had a few private offers, but decided to hold on the book. Not sure if he is telling the truth or not, I think he really did sell it to loomis.