DC Comics Presents 22 Whitman
3 3

72 posts in this topic

1,247 posts

Same seller threw up a lower grade today and I snatched it up. I’d been hunting this book for years, never thought I’d own a copy.

Seller is from Canada so it supports the theory earlier in the thread about more copies coming out of Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565 posts
2 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Seller is from Canada so it supports the theory earlier in the thread about more copies coming out of Canada.

This week I managed to pick up about 20 scarce Gold Key/Whitman pre-pack variants (including an Uncle Scrooge #179) in southern Ontario. I now have a few hundred of these scarcer Whitmans (8-12/80 Westerns and tougher DC variants) and the more that time goes on, the more convinced of this I become.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
823 posts
On 12/29/2017 at 9:55 PM, Brock said:

This week I managed to pick up about 20 scarce Gold Key/Whitman pre-pack variants (including an Uncle Scrooge #179) in southern Ontario. I now have a few hundred of these scarcer Whitmans (8-12/80 Westerns and tougher DC variants) and the more that time goes on, the more convinced of this I become.

Damn, i knew I should have gone to that area over the holidays! ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,247 posts
4 hours ago, bellrules said:

Sweet jesus, that was a good price!

I know, took me less than a minute to review the listing and hit BuyItNow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,096 posts
On 12/29/2017 at 8:43 PM, Carl Elvis said:

Same seller threw up a lower grade today and I snatched it up. I’d been hunting this book for years, never thought I’d own a copy.

Seller is from Canada so it supports the theory earlier in the thread about more copies coming out of Canada.

That copy would be about a 2.0 if it were complete, without the centerfold it would grade 0.5. Crazy price for an incomplete low grade copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,247 posts
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

That copy would be about a 2.0 if it were complete, without the centerfold it would grade 0.5. Crazy price for an incomplete low grade copy.

Thankfully it was low enough for me to check it off my list.

BEBD096E-08E0-4838-8711-FC017B7535DE.gif.d16cb41fcf9c20b2342f212d116c07cd.gif

Edited by Carl Elvis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,296 posts
2 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Thankfully it was low enough for me to check it off my list.

BEBD096E-08E0-4838-8711-FC017B7535DE.gif.d16cb41fcf9c20b2342f212d116c07cd.gif

One plus in this case:  since the interiors are identical, getting a legitimate copy of the centerfold to marry to the copy is trivial.  It's hard for me to think of any other books where a low grade copy would still be worth getting where that's the case.

Gratz on the pickup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565 posts
On 5/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, Dgxr said:

I have a copy of dccp 22 whitman coming back from cgc at 8.0. I was hoping to get some input on its fair market value. Any input is appreciated, thanks. 

Is this ebay listing yours?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-22-Whitman-Variant-CGC-8-0/253476508751?_trkparms=pageci%3A969e22b8-248b-11e8-a12a-74dbd1804062|parentrq%3A11097ff21620aa12abbb20d6fffef1e1|iid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607

With an ebay feedback of 4 (all more than year old) and only 2 posts here, I'm a little unsure of how to treat this one.

With more confidence around a transaction, I might be inclined to make an offer, as my copy is only about a 6.0, but this seems a little sketchy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this seller? Or do you still post here Dgxr?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 posts
3 hours ago, Brock said:

Is this ebay listing yours?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-22-Whitman-Variant-CGC-8-0/253476508751?_trkparms=pageci%3A969e22b8-248b-11e8-a12a-74dbd1804062|parentrq%3A11097ff21620aa12abbb20d6fffef1e1|iid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607

With an ebay feedback of 4 (all more than year old) and only 2 posts here, I'm a little unsure of how to treat this one.

With more confidence around a transaction, I might be inclined to make an offer, as my copy is only about a 6.0, but this seems a little sketchy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this seller? Or do you still post here Dgxr?

Yes its the one I posted about last year. I guess my feedback number is small because I don't sell much on ebay. I  usually send my books to mycomicshop.com but I thought I would test the Ebay market. There is nothing sketchy about the comic, I found it in a local comic book shop. I thought it was good enough to grade and the last time I checked there was only one higher at 8.5. Thanks for the interest and if you want to make an offer hit me up, Doug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565 posts

Hi Doug -

Sorry this took a few days, but I'm travelling this week. I will PM you in the next day or two, but I really appreciate you responding here!

Brock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,247 posts
Posted (edited)

Just notice CGC has 2 categories for this variant; 

Whitman variant (5 on census)

Whitman variant cover (2 on census)

The 2 labeled “cover” were graded in January 2018 so this just might be how CGC is choosing to label the book now.

48827ED4-9034-4D8A-89B9-69EA6CD6EF8A.thumb.jpeg.c3e19a44eb52787b9ac8e763f98f1dbc.jpeg

66105C40-E647-4494-9285-36B9C84F583D.thumb.jpeg.330605b028568490e9877e2aa7bd4939.jpeg

52071BFE-4E41-4114-803E-7B166AC28047.jpeg.df02acfc6a3962a6e843edab4cef4143.jpeg

Edited by Carl Elvis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3