• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a book a .5 grade

12 posts in this topic

0.5 POOR (PR): Most comic books in this grade have been Sufficiently degraded to the point where there is little or no collector value; easily identified by a complete absence of eye appeal. Brittle almost to the point of turning to dust with a touch, and usually incomplete. Extreme fading may render the cover almost indiscernible. May have extremely severe stains, mildew or heavy cover abrasion to the point that some cover inks are indistinct/absent. Covers may be detached with large chunks missing. Can have extremely ragged edges and extensive creasing. Corners are rounded or virtually absent. Covers may have been defaced with paints, varnishes, glues, oil, indelible markers or dyes, and may have suffered heavy water damage. Can also have extensive amateur repairs such as laminated covers. Extreme spine roll present; can have extremely ragged spines or a complete, book-length split. Staples can be missing or show extreme rust and discoloration. Extensive staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as extreme rust migration. Paper exhibits moderate to severe brittleness (where the comic book literally falls apart when examined). Extreme acidic odor may be present. Extensive interior tears. Multiple pages, including the centerfold, may be missing that affect readability. Coupons may be cut

Grading is very subjective, that being said...

A lot of my older keys are low grade reading copies.

I just regraded all of my books in 2015 and here are examples of books I graded at .5 and 1.0. so you can see the difference.

All of these books are complete so the major defects should be apparent.

Hope this helps.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

POOR .5

9tocd3.jpg

34hc8dl.jpg

1zyfybm.jpg

aetkwm.jpg

FAIR 1.0

2cohfrl.jpg

2yxi1bm.jpg

23r4gnm.jpg

2wrhj4w.jpg

So basically if the book doesn't fall apart while trying to read it would be 1.0? As long as all pages are intact

Essentially this is it. I would also include heavily defaced books in the category.

Missing pages are a questionable issue, and CGC and others often asses books missing pages with qualified grades. I prefer this, these sort of books are incomplete, but not always in poor condition.

This one might receive a 0.5 but might be of interest to some collector.

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8334/8404797589_d7dc36ff8b_z.jpg' alt='8404797589_d7dc36ff8b_z.jpg'>IMG DETECTIVE #168

mm

Stripped books are another tough category. Plenty of folks consider then FR, especially if in otherwise decent shape, but cover oriented collectors can find them less appealing than copies missing interior pages. I personally will take a book missing a back cover any day over one missing the top third of the front, but I can see why others would find them a reasonable low grade alternative.