• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap #1 CGC 8.0 Manufacturing Error on CC (Feb auction)
1 1

92 posts in this topic

Cap #1 would be on my short list of all time great comics but I'd rather own a nice looking 4.0 than this one.

Not that I could afford either though. lol

Ditto. But as a confirmed printing error, the book is nigh on unique and in theory should be very desirable to certain collectors.

Just looks faded to me. (shrug)

That was my first thought but the total absence of red wording on the back cover, when compared to the other copy for sale, confirms the error. Didn't errors used to get qualified labels? Certainly seems more appropriate.

Exactly right. This kind of error can look like fading until the back cover comes into play. Seeing the identical lack of magenta on the back does confirm a printing error.

Cap #1 would be on my short list of all time great comics but I'd rather own a nice looking 4.0 than this one.

Not that I could afford either though. lol

Ditto. But as a confirmed printing error, the book is nigh on unique and in theory should be very desirable to certain collectors.

Yes, aren't some of the black and white variant sketch covers fetching a higher price in the marketplace, as compared to the original full-colored covers? lol

I remember when 8.0s were selling for 80k and this sat on clink at 50k for what seemed like forever

I remember that, too. Not a copy that appeals to me. But Cap 1s haven't been coming up that much recently, so it may still go high.

An old friend - whom I've lost touch with now for over 20 years - bought that book from Metro some 25 years ago (unless there is another 8.0 with the same coloration!) He had been in the market for a Cap 1 and he and I made the drive to NY. All he collected was high grade Timely. If I recall correctly, my friend had at least two other Cap 1s to choose from at Metro that day, both/all in the VG-F range. He had brought some SFs and Mile Highs with him to trade for a Cap 1. I believe one of the books he traded was the SF Daring Mystery 6. Another was a Mile High Adventure in the 70s; among others of that ilk.

Long story short, when he asked my opinion that day, I told him I preferred a VG-F copy with normal colors. He went with that one because it was a VF, and ended up losing money when he sold it 10 years or so later.

Edited by mrmyst

If I'm going to drop six figures on a book I'm going to make sure I buy one thats been printed properly.

Tell that to the collectors who are paying more than 6 figures for the improperly printed upside down Jenny stamp. :devil:

Very true! My dad was an avid stamp collector and the Inverted Jenny was the holy grail he always talked about.