• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AA16 3.5 on comiconnect

60 posts in this topic

I can see why. Honestly with damage that extensive I feel its overgraded.
I bought the book raw thinking it was in the 2.0 range and sent it to CGC and was "pleasantly surprised" at grade

I bought the book raw thinking it was in the 2.0 range and sent it to CGC and was "pleasantly surprised" at grade

Totally. Gift grade, thank you! I bet you couldn't sell it fast enough at that grade.

well, I learned a "new" term "silverfish".. dig it. a lot of differencing opinions (guesses) on what this book will hammer for. If it does go at the lowe end I think someone will have a bargin in 3 years time

It's a bug that eats paper. Definitely need to call the exterminator if you find any crawling around your boxes!

Totally. Gift grade, thank you! I bet you couldn't sell it fast enough at that grade.

it didn't sell quickly....but it was 2010. Diff environment then

Yeah, looks like a 2.5 (at best).

Well, here's another CGC 3.5 graded copy of another key GA book coming up in this exact same auction, for comparison purposes:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=697754

Like they say, regardless of the actual condition of the book itself, sometimes you also need a bit of luck in terms of whether your book is going across the grading desk during a soft grading time period or a tight grading time period. :wishluck:

Doesn't take me any time at all to figure out which of these two 3.5 graded book looks much better to me, even with my aging eyesight. hm

well, I learned a "new" term "silverfish".. dig it. a lot of differencing opinions (guesses) on what this book will hammer for. If it does go at the lowe end I think someone will have a bargin in 3 years time

It's a bug that eats paper. Definitely need to call the exterminator if you find any crawling around your boxes!

Exterminators can't get rid of them. Especially if you live in a hot, humid environment....like Houston.

I purchased the grader notes from CGC and they noted "Whole Book Foxing". Is Foxing a different explanation than silverfish/bugs for the spotting on the cover per CGC, or is this one in the same? thanks

I purchased the grader notes from CGC and they noted "Whole Book Foxing". Is Foxing a different explanation than silverfish/bugs for the spotting on the cover per CGC, or is this one in the same? thanks

They didn't mention the bug chews? Seems pretty clear that's the cause of the paper loss on the cover. Foxing is the result of mold. You can see a fair amount of it on the back cover.

They didn't mention the bug chews? Seems pretty clear that's the cause of the paper loss on the cover. Foxing is the result of mold. You can see a fair amount of it on the back cover.

No they did not mention bug chews, silverfish et all. As soon as they email me the grader notes, I will post. I should have cut and pasted when I had the chance, hope they still email those like they did last year.

No they did not mention bug chews, silverfish et all. As soon as they email me the grader notes, I will post. I should have cut and pasted when I had the chance, hope they still email those like they did last year.

Yes, they still e-mail them.

Yeah, looks like a 2.5 (at best).

Well, here's another CGC 3.5 graded copy of another key GA book coming up in this exact same auction, for comparison purposes:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=697754

Like they say, regardless of the actual condition of the book itself, sometimes you also need a bit of luck in terms of whether your book is going across the grading desk during a soft grading time period or a tight grading time period. :wishluck:

Doesn't take me any time at all to figure out which of these two 3.5 graded book looks much better to me, even with my aging eyesight. hm

my bad, grader notes do indicate the bug chews:

Interior Centerfold Detached

Whole Book Foxing

Top Spine Medium Spine Split

Front Cover Multiple Chews

Back Cover Multiple Chews

Not sure what you guys are complaining about as it should be obvious to everybody that multiple bug chews are simply not considered to be much of a defect for grading purposes. lol

Just take a look at this similarly CGC 3.5 graded copy of another GA key from the upcoming HA Auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-vg-35-off-white-pages/a/7158-91008.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

No bug chews on either of the Detective 1 or the Batman 1, but the exact same 3.5 assigned grade. Interesting to note that both of these books were graded in the latter part of 2016, while the GL 1 clearly was not.

As I have stated already, it certainly looks like we will be seeing a lot of beautiful GA books relative to their assigned grade in upcoming auctions that was graded in this part of 2016. Especially when compared to previous equivalent graded books from CGC prior to this 2016 time period. hm