• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link Question

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Great to see it. I confess I am curious how you are checking Comic Link and Comic Connect. The Wayback Machine?

Let me suggest you allow for searches to be defined by quote marks as well as individual words. Combinations like Phantom Stranger shouldn't pull up things involving Phantom or Stranger Things. Also, will you be allowing for multi-level searches? E.g. all Superman appearances in Justice League of America?

Will look into it! (thumbsu

I wonder if someone could pay CL/CC and other sites that hide completed sales data for the info. Then combine that info with the free stuff from HA and eBay and charge say 25 bucks a year for that info in a combined format. CAF has something already along those lines, but it would be nice to see a complete real time picture of all major auction sites to get a complete picture of current auction values.

Hell, id pay a subscription service to CC and CL to be able to search their complete past sales history and photos.

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I wonder if someone could pay CL/CC and other sites that hide completed sales data for the info. Then combine that info with the free stuff from HA and eBay and charge say 25 bucks a year for that info in a combined format. CAF has something already along those lines, but it would be nice to see a complete real time picture of all major auction sites to get a complete picture of current auction values.

Hell, id pay a subscription service to CC and CL to be able to search their complete past sales history and photos.

That's part of what they are doing on this site, for free: www.dreckcheck.com.

Still only has about 3,000 items and its a work in progress.

Actually, ComicArtTracker already has historical data for HA, ebay, ComicConnect, and almost all other sources--
https://comicarttracker.com/history

There are some roadblocks to having a complete picture... As was mentioned, CLINK doesn't maintain their historical records for public view, but also ebay's developer API specifically forbids showing historical data older than 2-3 months.

My brother just won a HA auction and got the invoice with $200 sales tax. I can't talk him down he wants to never use HA again. I told him it's not just HA. This is a reality at other auction houses and ebay. I knew this was coming it sucks. We had a good ride.The avid collector will find a way to absorb this cost in order to pursue an art item they want.

Just wondering if it makes sense to put in a bid close to market early on in order to effectively keep out tracking bids. Why not kill potential competition in the cradle that way? Or, is it just going to create a higher pricing level?

On 6/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Would someone be able to weigh in on CL's Wait List button? Does it obligate you to purchase when the art is available or do you have the option to turn down?

No, not obligated to buy, just get an email notification if the item shows up on their site.  It also shows up for auction items you add to your wantlist

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Yes. :foryou:

I have tried it recently, and I ended up spending about 10-20% over expected market. But, the final price was not that high, and prices have been up lately for the artist, so I might test it again.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have tried it recently, and I ended up spending about 10-20% over expected market. But, the final price was not that high, and prices have been up lately for the artist, so I might test it again. 

Do a search here on the boards for "price discovery" and you will see lots of discussion on this strategy.

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Do a search here on the boards for "price discovery" and you will see lots of discussion on this strategy.

There certainly is. But what I was thinking about is bidding about 25-40% below what I felt the market should be, and thereby place the risk on casual watchers if they wanted to potentially get something they weren't that crazy with a low bid just for the privilege of watching.

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

There certainly is. But what I was thinking about is bidding about 25-40% below what I felt the market should be, and thereby place the risk on casual watchers if they wanted to potentially get something they weren't that crazy with a low bid just for the privilege of watching.

Remember that to quicky bid up to say 25% below FMV, you’d need another bidder to do the same.  Otherwise, everyone can place ‘watching’ bids same way (marginally faster) but won’t reach your bogey unless someone else cares to go to one increment below. 

3 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Remember that to quicky bid up to say 25% below FMV, you’d need another bidder to do the same.  Otherwise, everyone can place ‘watching’ bids same way (marginally faster) but won’t reach your bogey unless someone else cares to go to one increment below. 

Good point.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Tracking bids placed early rarely win. so pushing them out wont make a difference.

True, it would be to discourage trackers who might not otherwise remember to bid. Minor idea, maybe I'll skip it.

9 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

True, it would be to discourage trackers who might not otherwise remember to bid. Minor idea, maybe I'll skip it.

I get what you’re saying. If you put in a $2k bid as the first bidder, then maybe a week before the auction ends the bidding is at $900 which might discourage a latecomer to put in a $1000 bid just to track. That $1000 might just be enough to make him a winner of a piece he doesn’t really want. So why risk it? But on the other hand, putting a $2k (or whatever is a really high bid for the piece) also sets you up for unwanted punishment or price discovery bids which you don’t want either. 

In my view, if you win something at auction it’s because your competitor didn’t show up or because you overpaid. 

19 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

In my view, if you win something at auction it’s because your competitor didn’t show up or because you overpaid. 

CLink auctions are notorious for having 'dead' action at close. Not all of them of course, but to those that haven't experienced it, it's common, surreal. The action is nearly the complete opposite of what you'd expect if you're mostly an eBay sniper. I have stories, but instead...just watch many lots instead of bidding, you'll see this happen on lots where it shouldn't. The competitors don't show up or are otherwise engaged (on other lots). Weird and (imo) ultimately to the disservice of the consignors.

26 minutes ago, vodou said:

CLink auctions are notorious for having 'dead' action at close. Not all of them of course, but to those that haven't experienced it, it's common, surreal. The action is nearly the complete opposite of what you'd expect if you're mostly an eBay sniper. I have stories, but instead...just watch many lots instead of bidding, you'll see this happen on lots where it shouldn't. The competitors don't show up or are otherwise engaged (on other lots). Weird and (imo) ultimately to the disservice of the consignors.

With the exception of a few lots, that has been my observation on CLink also. 

Idk...I've been high bidder twice recently going down the stretch on items and been outbid in the end both times. I've heard rumor of this "dead action" but it seems to only occur when I'm not involved lol