• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 395

65 posts in this topic

By the way, you are correct about the practice of aping Adams's style. It was Giordano who did this and actually encouraged other artists to do the same. Forgot which issue it was, but in the Detective Comics story that introduced Leslie Thompson, Giordano practically mimic'd Adams. Everything he inked had that Adams feel to it too.

Haha, well, it was mostly just a bit of ribbing. I'll still try to find that panel, though, 'cause it definitely seems a bit out of Novick's usual style.

Incidentally, looks like the letters col relative to Bats 217 would be in issue 222. I have 223 and the letters reference issue 218, so if anyone has 222 and wants to post some reader reaction, I'm quite curious.

The letters re: 'Tec 395 are in 399. I'll try to post some images over the weekend (photo bucket, permitting, which is about a 0% likelihood) but its mostly two pages of the sort of melodramatic gushing praise you might have expected. One person hated it.

Gonna go read 397 now....

After reading through this thread, I'm going to have to dig out my Bats 255 and my Tec 235 because as far as my memory recalls (my memory doesn't always work the best) Bats 255 has reprinted material inside it (at least partially from Tec 235) with a Neal Adams cover.

By the way, you are correct about the practice of aping Adams's style. It was Giordano who did this and actually encouraged other artists to do the same. Forgot which issue it was, but in the Detective Comics story that introduced Leslie Thompson, Giordano practically mimic'd Adams. Everything he inked had that Adams feel to it too.

OK. It was bothering the out of me not remembering which book it was. I was thinking of Tec 457. The whole book is drawn this way by Giordano. It's good, but I wish he developed his own style since he did have the talent for it.

167778.jpg.113721a68d4099c22ef9e4cf35fa0fe3.jpg

167779.jpg.d673ce139cf8dc7d46a624967db71e82.jpg

167780.jpg.200a6ab4b23e011efffffbfbd23b46f7.jpg

167781.jpg.5d3f70712d162a0afe5077ed63ce5030.jpg

167782.jpg.017d541ec95a8d53c3c8417c7bdefb8c.jpg

NoMan, you seem a reasonable guy, how bad is the coloring in this pic (from the Adams Omnibus) compared to the comic you just read (Tec 395)?

When I came back to collecting after having sold all my Adams' Batmans and saw how high the prices had increased I went to Amazon and bought the Batman Omni, but the couple of times I mentioned using it as my Batman readers I'm mocked (nothing harsh of course, not here) because the color palette used was so godawful.

WHJqSGa.jpg

Awesome, Brian! Thanks for posting those columns! It's really interesting that the first column specifically mentions the hype surrounding DC's planned big change in 217 before the issue's release, so they must've really been pushing this break with nananananana nanananana Batman. Also, love that the next letter was written by Alan Brennert!

-Also noticed "Bill J White" had prominent letters in each column, so I looked him up....

Bill J White

Edited by Martin Sinescu

NoMan, you seem a reasonable guy, how bad is the coloring in this pic (from the Adams Omnibus) compared to the comic you just read (Tec 395)?

When I came back to collecting after having sold all my Adams' Batmans and saw how high the prices had increased I went to Amazon and bought the Batman Omni, but the couple of times I mentioned using it as my Batman readers I'm mocked (nothing harsh of course, not here) because the color palette used was so godawful.

WHJqSGa.jpg

Your Omnibus colors are God-awful compared to the book in my hand. I'm sorry. The Omnibus book colors are so sickeningly sweet and glossy bright colored, as if rubbed by cotton candy.

When I came around asking about these supernatural Batman stories I was warned about the Omnibus colors so the couple of books I have to read, I paid up for the real deal.

Seeing your book, I'm glad I did

Rubbed by cotton candy, that's a great line.

In Batman 200 I believe they did an interview with Biljo White, because he'd been so important to Batman fandom in the sixties.

I happened to see the letter column to 231 yesterday and boy, were the letter writers (including Dave Sim!) just crazy over the iconic cover to 227.

You can see quite a difference in art with Novick/Giella in say 211 vs 217 Novick/Giordano a few months later. Then take a look at 235 Novick/Giordano and there are some great panels, great Batman cape, etc.

OK. It was bothering the out of me not remembering which book it was. I was thinking of Tec 457. The whole book is drawn this way by Giordano. It's good, but I wish he developed his own style since he did have the talent for it.

:D That IS Giordano's style. He was in the business before Adams came along. No doubt that's why they were such a compatible pencil & ink team.

:D That IS Giordano's style. He was in the business before Adams came along. No doubt that's why they were such a compatible pencil & ink team.

...absolutely..... his work at Charlton in the late 50's and early 60's was very sophisticated for the time... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Okay, I happened to see a copy of Tec 397 today and found what I was talking about. Pages four and five. Basically Batman's internal dialogue about what had just happened in the fight that led to him being shot with a spear gun and falling into the water. Covers how he escaped what looked like deadly blows, how his nerve cluster was hit and that's why he couldn't pursue them with his dead arm, shows him treating himself, including with yoga. I feel like Denny brought all this to Batman, and it's big, as big as some of the villains he invented or brought back a few years later.

Okay, I happened to see a copy of Tec 397 today and found what I was talking about. Pages four and five. Basically Batman's internal dialogue about what had just happened in the fight that led to him being shot with a spear gun and falling into the water. Covers how he escaped what looked like deadly blows, how his nerve cluster was hit and that's why he couldn't pursue them with his dead arm, shows him treating himself, including with yoga. I feel like Denny brought all this to Batman, and it's big, as big as some of the villains he invented or brought back a few years later.

Absolutely. I never considered it before, but O'Neil really was the first to give Batman an internal voice and personality like that. Well said.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:17 PM, jimjum12 said:

...absolutely..... his work at Charlton in the late 50's and early 60's was very sophisticated for the time... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbsu

Check out this picture from a 1950s Charlton.  Neal Adams figure in the foreground?  Nope, Giordano.

warheroes.jpg

The Ras Al Ghul arc is the big one one. You can argue that Tec 405 (1st League of Assassins) is the start, followed by Tec 411, Batman 232, 235, 240, and then the best two issues IMHO, Batman 243/44.

On February 5, 2017 at 8:09 AM, JTLarsen said:

Absolutely. I never considered it before, but O'Neil really was the first to give Batman an internal voice and personality like that. Well said.

I agree with you guys. Not using thought balloons is one of those "edgy, modern" creator things that sometimes gets hailed as an innovation when it's actually not. It's just opting not to use one of the unique aspects of the art form.

14 hours ago, kimik said:

The Ras Al Ghul arc is the big one one. You can argue that Tec 405 (1st League of Assassins) is the start, followed by Tec 411, Batman 232, 235, 240, and then the best two issues IMHO, Batman 243/44.

I'd sandwich 'Tec 406 in there, too. 1st Doctor Darrk who was the leader of the League and a pretty cool issue IIRC. Also 242 is part of the arc as well. All great stuff (thumbsu