• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will they call the next "era" of books??

100 posts in this topic

Underground comix (1968-1973) took back the ground lost in the 50's, including the most egregious visuals that led to Wertham's and Kefauver's witch hunts. And there's the importance of Robert Crumb et al; they kicked the doors back open, enabled ASM 96, GL76 etc and a decade or so later much of what the independents did was possible. (With steps in between, of course, but I'm summarizing the arc, not writing a history book in one post.)

Fixed it for ya (thumbs u

Copper Age should be followed by the Chrome Age, which lasts up until Walking Dead 1, at which point the new Modern Age should begin. :sumo:

The goofy age.  Every book will have some kind of 'message'.  Stories will subordinate to that.  

Why does there need to be names and made up eras anyway? Maybe golden age I can understand, which to me would be everything from like 1936 or so to the late 50s, maybe early 60s. Back when comic books were not appreciated and no one cared and they were disposable to everyone and just stuff hacked out for kids, before the mid 60s when it all became too self aware and collecting in a serious way started. Plus all these eras are based on superheros, which to me is odd since there was almost never a time superhero comic books were the most popular and best selling comics, it's just the collectors that focus on the superheros for some reason. Everything but superheros is ignored, where do 60s and 70s undergrounds fall into all this? 80s undergrounds and independant stuff, self published minis? There's much more non superhero stuff today than mainstream superhero stuff, what about all that? To me anything other than a "golden age" comic book era just doesn't make much sense. Or maybe just two eras of the classic floppy comic magazine are needed, the newsprint ephemeral comic book era from 1933 to like 1990, and then just anything after that.