• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it sacrilegious?
2 2

101 posts in this topic

And in his case, presumably, there is still the inked (light boxed or whatever) piece that was originally published at least floating around out there. In this instance, the page in question was literally the only physical representation to be had of the published page prior to the modification. I think that is a big part of it in some people's mind... even though, as Gene has rightfully suggested, there are degrees... this isn't exactly a DKR splash or a Wrightson Swamp Thing or a Ditko ASM.

You now have one of the best looking pages from that book, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more Jae post-inked pages showing up.

andy robbins

You may very well be right Andy. Someone left this comment on my piece on CAFs:

"GREAT idea! Now I want my Batman/Superman page inked too!"

Millennials art not your fathers OA collectors.

As for the comment about what was originally there (Jae's pencils) being gone forever wouldn't that be the case for all pencils beneath ink? Jae's pencils are still still under the ink. Why are his pencils forever gone but not Kirby's, Buscema's, BWS, etc? I'm sure a lot of their work was erased away by their inker.

Jae's pencils under Jae's ink.

Edited by mwd67

And in his case, presumably, there is still the inked (light boxed or whatever) piece that was originally published at least floating around out there. In this instance, the page in question was literally the only physical representation to be had of the published page prior to the modification. I think that is a big part of it in some people's mind... even though, as Gene has rightfully suggested, there are degrees... this isn't exactly a DKR splash or a Wrightson Swamp Thing or a Ditko ASM.

There is no original of the published page, that was inked digitally.

There is no original of the published page, that was inked digitally.

I should have quoted who I was responding to, but I wasn't talking about OPs page in this statement except where I mentioned that it had been "the only physical representation to be had" ... when speaking of the pre-inked page. It certainly wasn't the "original published art", it was simply the only physical piece period that could be connected to that art in any way as far as we know.

And of course it still 'can' be linked to it, but having been modified post publication, that seems to matter to some people. I'd buy the page either way personally, I love Jae's art.

Would you guys have this inked over as its one of those so called worthless modern pencils. Personally I love the original pencil work and wouldn't touch it:

eqS1Fy.jpg

My answer is always the same, why not light box it? :shrug: I can't imagine the price difference is that large.

I think it came out great and if you like it who cares what anyone else thinks. The issues comes if you ever decided to sell it. You would want to fully disclose the process(Would have been even better to have Jae quickly jot down what he did on back.) It would kill the interest in the piece for some people, some would be okay with it and pay about the same, and MAYBE a few would be willing to pay a bit extra compared to a similiar pencil page. 

It's just unlikely that you would ever get that extra money back, and I would probably opt to get the piece light boxed if that was an option.

So is it fair to say that most folks wouldn't touch published pieces, but getting unpublished pieces (comissions, con sketches etc..) inked is better accepted?

I find it interesting that folks would want to have a piece inked on a separate page - for me - having 2 pieces of the same art, one inked and one penciled is not as satisfying as having the one and only - even if that piece happens to be pencil only.  It's one of the reasons I haven't bought any paolo rivera daredevil art -even though I think he is awesome.  I have a bunch of penciled only published pieces (where color was added digitally over the pencils)  and the longer I collect (possibly due to vision loss:D) have come to prefer inked pages to the point now that if its not inked I just move on. How do you guys feel about it?

1 minute ago, Panelfan1 said:

So is it fair to say that most folks wouldn't touch published pieces, but getting unpublished pieces (comissions, con sketches etc..) inked is better accepted?

I find it interesting that folks would want to have a piece inked on a separate page - for me - having 2 pieces of the same art, one inked and one penciled is not as satisfying as having the one and only - even if that piece happens to be pencil only.  It's one of the reasons I haven't bought any paolo rivera daredevil art -even though I think he is awesome.  I have a bunch of penciled only published pieces (where color was added digitally over the pencils)  and the longer I collect (possibly due to vision loss:D) have come to prefer inked pages to the point now that if its not inked I just move on. How do you guys feel about it?

I think most of it does revolve around OPs page being the only physical (even nebulously so as some claim) representation of  the eventually published page.

I've seen some of those Rivera pages - I think some of those were inked by his father Joe right? I think that right there makes them very interesting. But in general, I agree with you, I'd rather have one or the other most of the time. However, if I owned the pencils to a page that was originally inked and published, if I wanted it inked, I would definitely rather own two pieces than do something to the pencils 2c