• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylites 4 and no backing boards..

22 posts in this topic

I always use at least 2 backing boards with any raw gold...

1. Two super gold backing boards

2. 2 mil super gold Mylar (with flap)

3. Place comic plus 1,2 above in open end super gold Mylar

4. Place 1-3 plus comic in magazine size top loader

1 and 2 above are sufficient enough and make a beater comic pop and present nicely. But using steps 3 and 4 give the book extra sturdiness while in storage and handling. Using steps 1 and 2 plus 3 back boards gives the same back support, but I just feel raws have a complete "perimeter" protection when adding steps 3 and 4. Step four was something I added a few years ago. Bunky Brian added the 2-3 backboard technique to his raws which I like. Super gold backboards give the white margin around the perimeter of the book, which is a nice touch.

They look great in hand :)

7F406925-59B2-48E8-826D-F9583281ED2A_zpst7tstrpe.jpg

E0DC8886-7511-451C-82B8-CE73FA5FC74E_zpsuahzj7gu.jpg

My personal experience is that Mylites 4 are bad and dangerous for both removing and inserting books. Those ultra rigid edges are like knives trying to grab onto the cover and damage it in some awful way. Without backing board sounds even worse. I'm with Primetime, 2 Full Backs with Mylites 2 is a pretty awesome setup. 2c

I use a fullback with a Mylite 2, which then goes into a 4. A mini-slab, as it were.

Agree that the 4s are too sharp on their own, which is why I have an "inner well". But I think the 2s don't give enough protection by themselves.

Why use two backing boards? Fullbacks are pretty rigid.

I use a fullback with a Mylite 2, which then goes into a 4. A mini-slab, as it were.

Agree that the 4s are too sharp on their own, which is why I have an "inner well". But I think the 2s don't give enough protection by themselves.

I do the same. If the book is extra wide I'll add a board outside the mylite.

This is the same method i was turned onto from a boaride and LOVE IT!! Looks great too always like the book is in its own little frame and the protection is fantastic

There was a collector at a local show this past Sunday, and he had a lot of nice books in those Mylites but with no backing boards (said he likes to look at the back covers).

I felt somewhat uncomfortable handling the books, had never seen that before.

There was a collector at a local show this past Sunday, and he had a lot of nice books in those Mylites but with no backing boards (said he likes to look at the back covers).

I felt somewhat uncomfortable handling the books, had never seen that before.

hmhm

I once got a mylar sort of folder thing. Imagine a Manila folder but comic sized and clear. You put the comic in it for rigidity and then put that in the old Mylar 4s. Rigid and you could see the front and back, the crease of the folder protected the spine of the book, but I have not seen another of that product in a decade or more. Anyone got a name for it?

Edited by ender

I think it was skypinkblu that turned me on to these little friends and they were the last piece of the puzzle for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Post-Assorted-Primary-Dispenser-4-Dispensers/dp/B00008IS18/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486091684&sr=8-3&keywords=post%2Bit%2Btabs%2B1%2Binch&th=1

Tape has no place around comics! (tsk)

This is the same method i was turned onto from a boaride and LOVE IT!! Looks great too always like the book is in its own little frame and the protection is fantastic

What size Mylite 2 and 4's do you use to allow for one to fit in the other?

I would think it would be sliver golden mylites 2 and super golden mylites4?

I would think it would be sliver golden mylites 2 and super golden mylites4?

Gerber site only had GA and large comics/magazine for Mylite 4's.

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?CategoryID=450&SubcategoryID=600

If you really want to get creative, use a 4 mil Time-Lok with custom made lucite 1/8in board from your local plastics manufacture. Cost me roughly 1.50 per board, but eliminates that pesky 70.00 plastic tomb and makes your book look like a million bucks but can be dangerous if not inserted carefully.

IMG_0302_1.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

If you really want to get creative, use a 4 mil Time-Lok with custom made lucite 1/8in board from your local plastics manufacture. Cost me roughly 1.50 per board, but eliminates that pesky 70.00 plastic tomb and makes your book look like a million bucks but can be dangerous if not inserted carefully.

IMG_0302_1.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

:applause:

Also like the MM 28 in your signature