• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 32 CGC 9.6 WOW!!

58 posts in this topic

That is unreal. Guesses on the final price? 55,000?

Have no idea but most likely a whole lot of money it is the highest graded I doubt there will ever be another 9.6 that will be graded by CGC.

I thought it was agreed by many board members here already that the book actually looked better in its former incarnation as a CGC 9.2 copy when it sold for just over $50K on one of CC's Event Auctions a couple of years ago. :gossip:

Have no idea but most likely a whole lot of money it is the highest graded I doubt there will ever be another 9.6 that will be graded by CGC.

I thought it was agreed by many board members here already that the book actually looked better in its former incarnation as a CGC 9.2 copy when it sold for just over $50K on one of CC's Event Auctions a couple of years ago. :gossip:

(thumbs u

Man, there's a lot of nice comics out in the world. Would love to see a documentary on the path this comic took through the world from '39 to 2017.

here you go:

We'll let ComicConnect Sales Director Frank Cwiklik set the scene: "Our receptionist Brandon made an appointment with a potential consignor, who said he had two Golden Age Batman and Superman comics that were in really nice shape. We hear this sort of thing all the time, so we never really get our hopes up, but you never know. I wasn't even aware he was coming in until I went downstairs around the time he'd shown up, and from all the way across the office, I could see the books sitting out on the conference table in ziploc bags, and I just knew. All the way from across the room, I could tell these were something special." The books in question were a beautiful Action Comics 18 (which is also in this auction, and is tied for highest-graded), and this Detective Comics 32, one of the earliest appearances of the Batman. The seller's uncle had kept these comics since childhood, and, not realizing the potential value in them, innocently dropped by the office to ask if they may be worth a few dollars. After careful examination and consultation, Frank and Consignment Director Rob Reynolds knew they had a rare find on their hands, the kind of out-of-the-blue discovery that just doesn't happen anymore. After sending the books to CGC, suspicions were confirmed: this was indeed the highest-graded copy of one of the scarcest of Batman year one appearances, featuring the infamous panels in which the legendarily-anti-gun Caped Crusader brandishes a firearm for the first time, and is graced with one of Fred Guardineer's most dramatic and best-remembered covers.

There must be other high grade copies around otherwise a book like this would have been snapped up by the Dentist or someone and we wouldn't see it go to auction for the 3rd time in the last few years.

With both the Allentown and the Church copies still in the wild, this is a very likely scenario.

Man, there's a lot of nice comics out in the world. Would love to see a documentary on the path this comic took through the world from '39 to 2017.

here you go:

We'll let ComicConnect Sales Director Frank Cwiklik set the scene: "Our receptionist Brandon made an appointment with a potential consignor, who said he had two Golden Age Batman and Superman comics that were in really nice shape. We hear this sort of thing all the time, so we never really get our hopes up, but you never know. I wasn't even aware he was coming in until I went downstairs around the time he'd shown up, and from all the way across the office, I could see the books sitting out on the conference table in ziploc bags, and I just knew. All the way from across the room, I could tell these were something special." The books in question were a beautiful Action Comics 18 (which is also in this auction, and is tied for highest-graded), and this Detective Comics 32, one of the earliest appearances of the Batman. The seller's uncle had kept these comics since childhood, and, not realizing the potential value in them, innocently dropped by the office to ask if they may be worth a few dollars. After careful examination and consultation, Frank and Consignment Director Rob Reynolds knew they had a rare find on their hands, the kind of out-of-the-blue discovery that just doesn't happen anymore. After sending the books to CGC, suspicions were confirmed: this was indeed the highest-graded copy of one of the scarcest of Batman year one appearances, featuring the infamous panels in which the legendarily-anti-gun Caped Crusader brandishes a firearm for the first time, and is graced with one of Fred Guardineer's most dramatic and best-remembered covers.

A big thank you to you Gotham Kid for finding that and posting it here. I'm a big sucker for stories about how things went through the world and ended up where they did. I guess you call that Providence, right?

On 2/3/2017 at 9:21 AM, woowoo said:
lou_fine said:
  SupergirlDC1959 said:
  ender said:

(thumbsu

Well, looks like this book is still sitting at only $28K with only 3+ days left to go until the final hammer hits.

Still a long ways away from the $70K+ in theory which the consignor will need in order to break even on this book.  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like this book is still sitting at only $28K with only 3+ days left to go until the final hammer hits.

Still a long ways away from the $70K+ in theory which the consignor will need in order to break even on this book.  hm

It will probably go higher, but maybe when books hit that level, people start to actually look at the book instead of just the label. Some bidders do, anyway. It reminds me of the Vancouver Namora no. 1 that sold through Heritage years ago. It was a beautiful book, but there was no rational way to justify its 9.8 grade. It should not have graded higher than 9.4. Someone bought the label the first time it sold, but the he (or maybe somone he sold it to) took a beating a few years later when bidders actually bothered to look at the book.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wait for it. We all know it's the last day and live auction when things go gaga.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wait for it. We all know it's the last day and live auction when things go gaga.

Well, I can certainly see this book going back up into the $50K+ range, but I think it's going to be a bit of a stretch for it to hit its breakeven point of $70K+.  hm

I guess we'll just have to wait a few more days to find out our answer here.  (shrug)  :taptaptap: