• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Regulars and Collectors
1 1

58 posts in this topic

What is the best way to get a large Comic book collection Appraised?

I have IMO A very large collection, About 50-70 Boxes.

I have about 25 boxes of Marvel and DC and those are the ones I would like Appraised.

I have near complete collections of The Amazing Spider-Man,The Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and X-Men, and Pretty good sets of Green Lantern, Justice League and The Flash...

I've also got about 700 Comics books of what I call "Expensive Book"...Which are basically All Rare books for what ever including 1st appearances, Origins, Deaths and so on, Basically any book that is Rare and are Key Issue, I pulled them and put them in what is now 3 Long Boxes which are about 700 Comics...Example being I pulled

Amazing Spider-Man #1-20,25,28,31,39,40,41,50,90,100,101,121,122,129,135,136,149,194,238,252,265,298,299,300,361,365

again basically every Key Issue and Rare Issue I've pulled

I would love to have My "Expensive Books" and My 20 or so Near complete sets of Marvel and DC appraised.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Comics books, I know what I have and even have a decent idea what they are worth...My main problem is...I AM NOT A PROFESSIOAL GRADER...and I believe I could be off my grades, not by a lot, But I have no doubt some books I graded could be off Either way up or down, I could easily be grading Books FINE that may in fact be 5.0's or maybe even off the other way and I could be under grading them.

I would love to have someone appraise my Marvel and DC collections and my expensive books, I have an idea what they are worth, but I can never know for sure because I'm not confident in my Grading.

I live in Indianapolis Indiana...does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what would be the best way I could have a collection of about 25 Boxes appraised?

thanks

EDIT:

for the half dozen or so of you asking for Pics or saying I'm lying...here are some pics-

3wewm

Link- comics

Edited by billbrown7080

What is the best way to get a large Comic book collection Appraised?

I have IMO A very large collection, About 50-70 Boxes.

I have about 25 boxes of Marvel and DC and those are the ones I would like Appraised.

I have near complete collections of The Amazing Spider-Man,The Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and X-Men, and Pretty good sets of Green Lantern, Justice League and The Flash...

I've also got about 700 Comics books of what I call "Expensive Book"...Which are basically All Rare books for what ever including 1st appearances, Origins, Deaths and so on, Basically any book that is Rare and are Key Issue, I pulled them and put them in what is now 3 Long Boxes which are about 700 Comics...Example being I pulled

Amazing Spider-Man #1-20,25,28,31,39,40,41,50,90,100,101,121,122,129,135,136,149,194,238,252,265,298,299,300,361,365

again basically every Key Issue and Rare Issue I've pulled

I would love to have My "Expensive Books" and My 20 or so Near complete sets of Marvel and DC appraised.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Comics books, I know what I have and even have a decent idea what they are worth...My main problem is...I AM NOT A PROFESSIOAL GRADER...and I believe I could be off my grades, not by a lot, But I have no doubt some books I graded could be off Either way up or down, I could easily be grading Books FINE that may in fact be 5.0's or maybe even off the other way and I could be under grading them.

I would love to have someone appraise my Marvel and DC collections and my expensive books, I have an idea what they are worth, but I can never know for sure because I'm not confident in my Grading.

I live in Indianapolis Indiana...does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what would be the best way I could have a collection of about 25 Boxes appraised?

thanks

I would start out by looking at some scans at Heritage to get you a better idea of what grades look like. Maybe purchase an Overstreet Grading guide to help as well.

Bait the hook and reel em in. lol

Guys like this are funny. For one, if you have nearly complete sets of the books you're talking about, you know what grades they are.

Come on down, and show us some pics of your collection. I guarantee you that he won't.

First: What a collection appraises for and what it sells for are 2 different things.

Second, the bulk of the value in a collection is in the key issues and hard to find in grade issues it contains.

Rarely will an end collector want to buy the whole thing as they probably already own the common and lesser value copies and not care about comics outside their focus. Usually it will be the dealers and flippers that will be willing to buy it all at once but have to base their offer on the resell value they can turn a decent profit on. If you are doing so for insurance purposes just use Overstreet price guide, ebay, heritage auctions, and search Google for rare comics to get a list of the items you have that might be worth getting appraised.

If your doing so for selling, contact one of the big auction houses or major dealers on here to see if they are willing to do a free appraisal with no commitment to consign, sell, or list. For free you could scan/photograph the major keys and post the front and back covers for and get tons of opinions which may give a consensus.

Or respond to the private messages you're probably receiving but don't agree to any sale without getting at least a couple of independent appraisals.

WE have a grading subforum found here:

Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade?

take some scans post a book, see what you get back as the consensus, and compare to what you thought it was...

Even the pros here aren't all in agreement on a books grade. Most good evaluations are within a a grade high or low...

...I AM NOT A PROFESSIOAL GRADER...

Ah yes..the ' I am not a professional grader' chestnut. Up there with such cliche classics as...'It is what it is'...'What you see is what you get'...'My Dad bought these when he was a kid' etc, etc. :cloud9: