• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zolnerowich Inside and Out
3 3

82 posts in this topic

Thanks Bronty. Yes, for colors and composition, I love 14, with that lion creature straight out of Oz.

Great profile photo/icon, by the way. (I'm a novice with the pin-ups; Elvgren I presume? The original art I presume?)

Sometimes rather than looking at the GCD, I like to go back to Jerry Bails' Who's Who as it gives a quicker overview of an artist's career (and also at times, I trust the information there more than I do some of the GCD's ...)

Here's his career as a bird's eye -

http://www.bailsprojects.com/bio.aspx?Name=ZOLNEROWICH%2c+DAN

:popcorn: on more scans.

13 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Bronty. Yes, for colors and composition, I love 14, with that lion creature straight out of Oz.

Great profile photo/icon, by the way. (I'm a novice with the pin-ups; Elvgren I presume? The original art I presume?)

Absolutely, 14 is terrific.

thanks regarding the avatar, yes it's an elvgren painting but sadly I don't own it!

This is one of my favorite Zolnerowich covers. A very difficult book to locate and I never get tired of looking at it. I do own this book. One bonus to this issue is that when most back covers are pedestrian, this one is filled with actions d bright colors.

IMG_9617.JPG

IMG_9618.JPG

1 hour ago, kelholt said:

This is one of my favorite Zolnerowich covers. A very difficult book to locate and I never get tired of looking at it. I do own this book. One bonus to this issue is that when most back covers are pedestrian, this one is filled with actions d bright colors.

IMG_9617.JPG

IMG_9618.JPG

Dang.  That is sweet!

OK, Ladies and Gents. Introducing Hercules in "The Burns Koffin Gang", a 7-page story from yours truly, Zolnerowich. This appeared as the first story in Hit Comics #3 (Sept. 1940). The water scenes on pages 4-5 are really awesome.

(Apologies for the variable photo quality.)

Hit_3_Herc_300dpi_w5_q9_zpstpwtbfdd.jpg

Edited by Zolnerowich

9 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hit Comics #3, Hercules in "The Burns Koffin Gang" by Zolnerowich, page 7 (last page):

Hit_3_Hercules_p7_zps6kz2xcng.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing the story. Great fun reading it. You can tell it is Zolnerowich just from looking at the splash page character Hercules. Fun to see his drawing of panels instead of a cover. Great stuff, would love to see more interior art.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:41 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Hit Comics #3, Hercules in "The Burns Koffin Gang" by Zolnerowich, page 7 (last page):

Hit_3_Hercules_p7_zps6kz2xcng.jpg

On 2/11/2017 at 9:09 AM, kelholt said:

The main character Hercules quickly reminded me of this cover. Same face style and hair on the "hero" of this cover.

IMG_5053.JPG

Yes, for sure. Zolnerowich definitely had a fondness for the hair-slicked, square-jawed, pointy-nosed, right-hook-swinging bruiser!

I do find panel 4 from page 7 rather unlike Zolnerowich, at least unlike his usual characters on the covers. The face in panel 4 has a cartoony quality that might be found from the pen of Klaus Nordling, or Jack Cole, or Gill Fox, or even Will Eisner... What do you think? Maybe Z had an inking assist for some of this story, someone from the Quality crew? Just pure speculation of course. GCD notes that Z did pencils and inks both...

(BTW I finally figured out how do a nested thread thing on this "new and improved" forum. Too bad I can't remember what I did!)