• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Carbo allowed back into NYCC?
5 5

178 posts in this topic

Banishment vs. Prosecution, which would prove to be more costly in the long run?

Banishment from the listed conventions could mean a substantial loss of income, but who knows how long that would really last? Prosecution would have required a victim: Eaglemoss. Smart money says Eaglemoss didn't want the hassle. End of prosecution. No financial loss there from the thieves.

"Den Of Thieves Comics" Our motto: You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss your comic collection goodbye!

17 hours ago, Jamie Newbold said:

"Den Of Thieves Comics" Our motto: You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss your comic collection goodbye!

Ironically, I was thinking about that Tec 28 thread when word of this situation got out.

On 2017-02-12 at 0:39 AM, Designer Toast said:

Wasn't Carbonaro pitching a reality series about himself a while back?

Yup. .He was walking around SD a few years ago with cameras following him.

6 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I wonder if this will affect attendance at Carbo's March show?

I am sure that Carbo will be allowed in Carbo's own show. 

... I think 

Edited by Buzzetta

For the record... I have yet to pick up a ticket to this show.  Still debating it and I am still not convinced that Stan will be there yet.

i thought that NYCC was the final NY appearance.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

For the record... I have yet to pick up a ticket to this show.  Still debating it and I am still not convinced that Stan will be there yet.

It seems that he has one of the best guest lists I've seen at a con in years. Most of the "old timers" that live in the area don't travel much any more. Mike seems to know them and convince them to do his show. I suspect Stan will be there. Carbo was set up next to me at Terry's show last month and told me he was getting married in March. He claimed that Stan was going to "officiate" at his wedding.

Stan or not, I would love to go to this show but it just ain't gonna happen for me. 

A lot of schadenfreude in this thread.  I guess I have mixed feelings.  I have bought a lot of stuff from him over the years, he's rubbed me the wrong way a couple of times, but nothing much.  On the other hand, he kept the convention scene alive in NYC for several years before NYCC came along, so I appreciate that.  I was told a sort of touching story by a guy who used to work for him like 30 years ago how Carbo asked him what he wanted to be paid to work a show.  He named a certain SA key and carbo apparently ran around the show trying to find him the nicest copy possible, didn't just find him a cheap crappy copy to meet his obligations.

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, the blob said:

A lot of schadenfreude in this thread.  I guess I have mixed feelings.  I have bought a lot of stuff from him over the years, he's rubbed me the wrong way a couple of times, but nothing much.  On the other hand, he kept the convention scene alive in NYC for several years before NYCC came along, so I appreciate that.  I was told a sort of touching story by a guy who used to work for him like 30 years ago how Carbo asked him what he wanted to be paid to work a show.  He named a certain SA key and carbo apparently ran around the show trying to find him the nicest copy possible, didn't just find him a cheap crappy copy to meet his obligations.

I've also know of him to completely <spoon> on some of the 'old' talent that have attended his show and one has actually sworn (in 2015) not to return.  He held true to his word last year and apparently is not on the guest list this year either. 

Edited by Buzzetta
They changed my swear word from "xxxx" to "mess". I changed it manually to <spoon>

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I've also know of him to completely mess on some of the 'old' talent that have attended his show and one has actually sworn (in 2015) not to return.  He held true to his word last year and apparently is not on the guest list this year either. 

No doubt after like 40 years in this business he has done some bad things.

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, and that New Year's show was Stan's last appearance in Dallas...until Fan Expo the end of March. 

18 hours ago, the blob said:

No doubt after like 40 years in this business he has done some bad things.

Larry Hama had voiced his displeasure on his Facebook Page back in 2015.  I was with Brock at that show and he swore to us that he would not do the show again next year.  I checked the guest list and Hama is not featured this year either.