• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Kirkman write anymore comics besides Walking Dead and Outcast?

18 posts in this topic

Walking Dead is huge so he's busy as hell. He's involved with Thief Of Thieves and writes Outcast. Invincible is supposedly ending. So I guess we won't be seeing any other comics or if we do it will be a long time.

Anyone know if he has any other comics planned?

It's a good question. I don't care for Outcast. Walking Dead isn't my cup of tea either though I recognize the appeal there.

I'm still annoyed by Kirkman's decision to kill Invincible while continuing what I believe to be a derivative and pretty weak book in Outcast.

It could be entirely likely that he's turning away from the medium similar to how Gaiman did. Gaiman primarily views himself as a story teller, not a comic book writer. Perhaps Kirkman does too, I haven't read a great deal of his interviews. But it's clear that story tellers want their work to reach the widest possible audience. Comics remain a poor medium for that, but they are a great medium as an idea and story testing ground, so maybe what we'll see is a string of creations from him for the purposes of a testing ground in an attempt to attract a movie or television license in a very Millar sort of way.

I liked TWD and Invincible equally early on but TWD got better into the #100+ issues while Invincible peaked for me in the late #60s to late #70s or somewhere thereabout. Outcast is a good book but I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone. Still considerably better imo than anything else hes done other than his big two. 2c

I agree that it seemed like the writing got weak after the V War - that was the absolute peak of the series. He should have let some other writer come in at that time. Recharge his batteries, or maybe never come back if he didn't have it... But like I said, it's his baby, so my opinion doesn't matter unfortunately.

I always value your opinion...even when we disagree. You're a thinker. (thumbs u

You're the guy in the thread that rightfully pointed out the series peak (worship)

Mostly I'll just be sad to see the end of the only cape comic out there that wasn't afraid.

I agree, its a bummer. Hopefully there will be something similar in the future. Black Hammer fills a spot there but as much as I love it, it just isn't going to approach Invincible on a monthly basis. That series was about as good as it gets in the cape section for the last 15 plus years imo.

Yeah, Black Hammer is great in a very different way. I'm really enjoying it as well, but as much as I admire Lemire, he isn't the guy to do a long run. He's a beginning, middle, and end type of writer so you know there's no issue 100 of Black Hammer. Hell, there's no 50!

Anyway, as to the original question around Kirkman... we don't even know what Ottley is doing yet and that is probably easier to determine what with him not being filthy rich and actually having to work lol

Invincible ruined me for all cape comics! I'm hoping that Kirkman authorizes some kind of spin-off with Skybound/Image. Technically, he said the title is ending. Am I reaching?

I have a question about Walking Dead #1.

What is the difference between the issues that contain white letters "Mature Readers" and the copies that are written in black letters?

How rare is this issue? There seems to be thousands of them - mostly in very high grade.

Anyone know the actual print run of this issue?

2 hours ago, Saryian said:

I have a question about Walking Dead #1.

What is the difference between the issues that contain white letters "Mature Readers" and the copies that are written in black letters?

How rare is this issue? There seems to be thousands of them - mostly in very high grade.

Anyone know the actual print run of this issue?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5970682

I was a really big Kirkman fan 5-6 years ago. Even kept reading Invincible and TWD up until about a year or so ago. Unfortunately I think he fell into the same comic writer trap that he so often criticized Marvel and DC for. His books, particularly TWD became very decompressed and event driven. The pacing became very stale and predictable for both of these books IMO. 

I definitely agree the Invincible peaked at V war.

I've been a Kirkman fan for a long time. Sadly, when Invincible ends, I will be quitting comics. Currently, I buy Outcast, TWD, Invincible, and a few others indies, so, I really read Kirkmans stuff the most. Invincible is my favorite book of all time, without it, I won't be a comic reader......for the first time in 40 years.

EDIT: I don't see any spinoffs happening either. 

Edited by simplyrob