• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All the Golden Age Hitler covers are in the house!
4 4

91 posts in this topic

Which books were the toughest to find?

Toughest to find?

Well, there are a lot of these that have five or fewer stabbed copies. We all know that doesn't necessarily equate to rarity, but it can be a rough indicator. Until I submitted my raw copies, there were only two slabs for Taffy #2, Krazy Komics #9, and Jolly Jingles #12. Now there are 3 of each. Also, the late run Fox boots, like Weird #20 and Wonderworld #22 are tough.

Some are hard to pry out of other collector's hands. Nobody wants to give up their Headline #8 or Prize #37.

tman6.jpg

tman34.jpg

So these are the only two post-WW II GA Hitler covers? Never realized that.

There's another T-Man cover with "Hitler" on the cover (#14), but he turns out to be an imposter, so the powers that be decided that wasn't an official Hitler cover.

Also, I'm not including National #12 as a Hitler cover. It's a cool dictator, but Adolf never sported a pencil thin mustache.

I'd love to read more comments about each book as you hunted and acquired them.

There's really not a lot of great stories to tell. Lots of these were acquired back in the pre-Internet days. Local comic shops, the flea market, those little cons that would be in a hotel ballroom on a Sunday. Back when you could buy GA books for under a hundred bucks and you didn't really care about restoration because you just wanted a copy.

Later, in the early days of eBay, that became a good hunting ground. I don't think I ever hit it lucky and found a Hitler cover at a garage or estate sale. The last few have mostly been board sales or trades and the auction houses, HA, CL, and CC.

I've told this story before, so if you've already heard it and want to skip it, feel free. Years ago, I really wanted a Real Life #3. Never could locate a copy. Flew,up to Chicago before it became a Wizard show and Vincent (this was before he joined Metropolis) had a copy sitting at the bottom corner of his wall display. I asked to see it and he kind of apologetically says, "It's kind of expensive." I looked it over for about two seconds and didn't even do the usual, "Well, can you do any better on the price?" ritual. Just paid sticker price and walked away a happy camper.

Amazing :applause: What a great set! How long did it take you? Many years it sounds like and certainly, how could it not. Sincere congrats.

It might interest you to know that Triumph Comics 7 (Canadian; 1942) has a hitler cover as well if you aren't already aware.

Most excellent sleuthing and collection

I have a small portion of them, and for some didn't even notice they were hitler covers.

I've sold a handful too over the years and my greatest regret is letting go of my headline 8 in ratty but complete condition for $50.

Congratulations. It just makes me want to find them more...

Champ24.jpeg

Monumental! Exhibit worthy and amazing! :golfclap: Walter you know the admiration i have for your collection of WWII covers (Hitler and otherwise), it's amazing to see them in one Thread. Congrats on this feat. Much to admire (including a certain '22'), but this one has a special 'story' pertaining to me: It came to market back when HA's Sunday auctions were 'snipe-able'.

There i was, watching the clock tick down and i played my hand a minute or so early. I was high bidder for a few seconds, then outbid with not enough time to get back in the lead. I always wondered where the book ended up, then discovered 'My Slabbed Comics' and eventually joined the Boards and found out who 'they' were and why they were 'aggressive' on obtaining it. Made the sting of losing hurt that much less.

It's notable to say i have NOT seen another copy surface since, and i have this book on various want/watch/wish list sites (one or two coverless beaters, but this is a rare 'cover' book and RARE Harvey). Couldn't have ended up in a better place (worship)

Wow! What an amazing collection you've put together. Thanks so much for sharing them,and all in alphabetical order, it's a real visual treat! So which book was the final one to complete the set?

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

The last two were slabbed together, so call it a tie. Comedy #22 and Jolly Jingles #12.

Champ24.jpeg

Monumental! Exhibit worthy and amazing! :golfclap: Walter you know the admiration i have for your collection of WWII covers (Hitler and otherwise), it's amazing to see them in one Thread. Congrats on this feat. Much to admire (including a certain '22'), but this one has a special 'story' pertaining to me: It came to market back when HA's Sunday auctions were 'snipe-able'.

There i was, watching the clock tick down and i played my hand a minute or so early. I was high bidder for a few seconds, then outbid with not enough time to get back in the lead. I always wondered where the book ended up, then discovered 'My Slabbed Comics' and eventually joined the Boards and found out who 'they' were and why they were 'aggressive' on obtaining it. Made the sting of losing hurt that much less.

It's notable to say i have NOT seen another copy surface since, and i have this book on various want/watch/wish list sites (one or two coverless beaters, but this is a rare 'cover' book and RARE Harvey). Couldn't have ended up in a better place (worship)

This is a tough book to find. You want a Timely, DC, Nedor, or some of the other "big" publishers...no problem, if you have the $. Some of these others are a long, slow grind.

Oh, and thank you for helping me with the Comedy #22!

Champ24.jpeg

I'm pretty sure this is the only copy I've ever seen.