• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All the Golden Age Hitler covers are in the house!
4 4

91 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I think he means the two guys sitting in the peanut gallery. One could have originally been Hirohito and the other Hitler.

Ah, ok.  Certainly could be, but I guess we'll never know.

22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Me either. Which figure is supposed to be Hitler? The guy in the derby to the right of Cap's belt? hm

Look to the two guys in charge on the upper left, the grimacing dude wearing the green cap and the Japanese guy wearing a fedora overseeing the action from a fortified balcony. Modifications may have been added (such as the Hitler-like character blasting away with a yellow Tommy gun instead of pounding the balcony with his fists), but the command position and oddly mixed power structure is more than a little curious for a post war cover.  Other explanations for those two dudes make less sense, IMO.

Perhaps the idea was that Hitler survived in hiding and he and Tojo conspired with a legion of bare chested Germanic POWs (looking like bald thugs) to get revenge on our military leaders who defeated them.  ...Or, it could simply be some modifications to Schomburg's late war pencils saved an otherwise outdated cover. All that was needed to finish would've been inking the German troops as bare chested ruffians to make the cover have a passable post-war look.

Of course, it's all speculation, nevertheless, the Hitler-in-hiding concept can't be fully discounted given the theoretical uncertainty of der Fuhrer's demise as reported immediately after the war.

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.  It's been a fun challenge and really illustrates why so many of us prefer Golden Age collecting.  Given a big enough war chest, you could probably put together almost any Silver, Bronze, or Copper run together in a reasonably short period of time.  This took me half my life.