CGC recommends you get your slabs cracked open and reslabbed every 7 years?

18 posts in this topic

Did you know CGC recommends you get their slabs be cracked open and re-slab bed every 7 years? Is this true? I was told it's because the gas they use in the slabs deteriorate every 7 years

Planned obsolescence?

The slabs are not gas tight so that doesn't sound right. Also they use Argon in gas stored items and Argon does not deteriorate.

Im shocked! :o

<a  href=IMG_0629_zpsm50mfdam.gif' alt='IMG_0629_

They recommend reholdering books after 7 years because that's how long the microchamber paper is effective.

When I see the word "off gassing," I just start laughing.

poof - lettuce not entertain you

I wonder what % of collectors actually do this and re-slab...

I wonder what % of collectors actually do this and re-slab...

Curious myself

I've cracked open many old label books, some in excess of 15 years in the slab. The microchamber paper was always fine, still fresh looking. I think it is silly to reholder every 7 years.

I've cracked open many old label books, some in excess of 15 years in the slab. The microchamber paper was always fine, still fresh looking. I think it is silly to reholder every 7 years.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I had heard the rumor too but always figured if that it was an obvious rumor, it would be advertised more often if it were true

But looking fresh doesn't mean that it is fresh. Just ask Martha Stewart.

It could still lose its efficacy.

I asked CGC this a couple months ago. They replied that the new cases have a different inner well (material) that you do not need to replace them. A couple books that did have MCP I did re-holder..not all of them though.

Im shocked! :o

F1Jau4Ql.jpg

:news:

You should resubmit your books every 7 years because after 7 years the grade is no longer relevant

I'm reminded of this great ad from Amway. It involved a product they use for detergent that apparently keeps PH down.It was called Basic H. It was pretty expensive stuff at about $22.00 a gallon. They then had a section on lowering the PH of your garden. They recommended that you buy the stuff and just pour it on the ground.

I thought that was some of the best Chutzpah I've ever seen in advertising. Somehow, I was reminded of this story. I haven't thought about it in years.

:winnah: