• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever had a high dollar book damaged by CGC?

42 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, walclark said:

Got a call once from CGC.  Very apologetic.  During grading, my Fantastic Four #1 was torn while being placed back in the Mylar.  They estimated that it would have been a 3.0 without the tear and it graded 2.5 with the tear.  I received a credit towards future submissions based on the FMV difference between the two grades.  I was impressed that they called me, but obviously disappointed that they tore the cover.

You should have bargained for the 3.0 grade and promised not to tell anyone.  Win-win.

2 hours ago, kav said:

You should have bargained for the 3.0 grade and promised not to tell anyone.  Win-win.

(tsk)

Still trying to work something out with my damaged books. :sorry:

Never had this problem before, but from now on, I would suggest everyone take pictures of your books before you send them in always.

Resurrecting an old thread because I’ve had a couple surprises come back from CGC as of late. One cover detached and spine split during grading (low grade), and another mid-grade that was structurally great coming back with detached cover (not pressed, graded only). Both very recent...and other boardies have mentioned similar situations as of late via PMs (especially the detached cover).

This isn’t meant to be a “bash CGC” thread at all, but if by chance there’s a trend occurring...report any instances here and maybe it can be identified, or not.

I sent in a Marvel Premiere #50 which was conservatively an 8 MAYBE 8.5; it came back a 6.5 with imperfections that literally weren't there when it was sent in.  Could of it happened in shipment?  Maybe, but the creasing on front and back covers were not there when it was packaged.

definitely going to take a ton of pics before I submit some of my more valuable books.

I had 20 books rejected in a prescreen. There was no shipping damage noted and they were shipped in a box with another 8 books submission that came back just fine. I emailed them and they refused to make good on damaging my books and said “we don’t know that they weren’t damaged, when we received them.” If books looking like this are unpacked damaged in a 9.8 prescreen, it should be noted and the submitter should be notified. I believe they were dropped, at some point. Definitely disappointed and I am concerned for my other submissions.

F15CDD92-BC8D-4FE0-AD36-3ED9CFA62DF5.jpeg

55716F9C-511C-46CA-A3B7-3BD058D9A418.jpeg

D6F50E75-1EC0-433A-8E3A-553735533D76.jpeg

C853B9AD-48DB-476B-B724-69AE4CB55F75.jpeg

414686B3-4767-4F37-BE35-3ECC66753F27.jpeg

29C31D5C-8C69-429D-9E2E-76982E867F44.jpeg

6E1A940C-1030-4A3E-9D01-4458AE75965A.jpeg

3359FC0B-2581-46BF-AC85-04C8E88F88C6.jpeg

5177EB05-950C-4B99-B82E-998C79E9CB93.jpeg

On 8/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, Callaway29 said:

Resurrecting an old thread because I’ve had a couple surprises come back from CGC as of late. One cover detached and spine split during grading (low grade), and another mid-grade that was structurally great coming back with detached cover (not pressed, graded only). Both very recent...and other boardies have mentioned similar situations as of late via PMs (especially the detached cover).

This isn’t meant to be a “bash CGC” thread at all, but if by chance there’s a trend occurring...report any instances here and maybe it can be identified, or not.

Makes me wonder if they are a bit too lackadaisical and carefree when it comes to their page counts as I have heard complaints about detached centerfolds when the submittors were sure this was not the case when the books were submitted to them?  hm  :mad:  :censored:

I had a Amazing Spider-Man 121 that I thought was 9.6 possible 9.8 after a press.  It came back as a 9.2 with a staple tear as the grader notes that I know wasn't there when I sent it.  

My didn't bother to take pre-submission pics so I chalked it up to a learning experience and don't forget to do that anymore.  

On 2/9/2017 at 12:40 PM, My young Padawan said:

I recently received a reholdered Swamp Thing #1 from CGC.  A small piece of the top-right corner of the cover was torn.  Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done about it. 

Reholder Damage?

bro same thing happened to my on my new mutants 98, i got back 9.6 not mad bout the grade but mad bout they cut the top right corner off.