• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evidently Newton Rings are just a fact of life now
1 1

92 posts in this topic

To begin with, I am not posting this to cause trouble. But I think people should know that the issue with Newton Rings is still pretty significant. I just had around 30 comics graded by CGC. I thought the problems with the new case were resolved (part of my submission was to reholder a comic that had an issue from early last summer). Today I got the bulk of my latest submission in the mail. Many of the cases have very noticeable Newton Rings. Some of the Newton Rings are smack in the middle of the image, and some of them extend over the entire display area.

I think CGC should have warned me, or something. What am I supposed to do, mail back 20 slabs and wait another 2 months for my comics?   I wouldn't have a big problem except for a couple of things: (1) I'm worried this will affect the sale price of the comics when I sell them in their slabs; (2) Some of the comics I sent in were graded for my friends, whom I told it would be cool to grade their comics,  and now I have to explain to them why the slabs have this weird pattern.

Again, I am not posting to cause trouble. But I think it is fair to share this with the collecting community. I still favor CGC over any other company.

I took photos of three out of the 25+ comics that were slabbed. These three I picked at random. Here are photos, which I took in mostly natural light, with no tweaking of the images. A couple of the photos had flash, but mostly I used natural sunlight. This is how the slabs look to the naked eye. Mind you, if you're looking at the slabs straight-on, then you don't see the Newton Rings. But only a little bit of a tilt and the Newton Rings become apparent, especially if reflected by a light source (such as a standard overhead room light).

brendastarr-1.jpg

brendastarr-2.jpg

Edited by Doohickamabob

5 minutes ago, spideyfan68 said:

Have you called CGC? I had some books in the fall that had bad Newton rings and not only did they reholder them free of charge but reimbursed my shipping. Turnaround time was little over a week. 

What's the point in calling and having CGC reholder them.  It's a fundamental issue with the design of the new case so its highly plausible that they will be on the reholdered ones as well.

No, just got the slabs. I'm glad they'll reholder them, but the thing is, some of the stuff I just sent out and got back was for similar reholder problems. It's aggravating to have to keep sending things back. It takes time and energy. Especially if I have to re-package and re-send 20+ slabs. I guess I'll call -- I just wish I didn't have to do it to begin with. Maybe I shouldn't make this public, but I am not trying to slam CGC or anything. I just think people should know it is still a concern. It's very frustrating because I thought they had this all sorted out now. (Again, I still think CGC is the best, with the best name recognition, reputation, best label design, more reliable grading, etc. So I wish they'd be all over this problem and fix it for the long haul.)

Edited by Doohickamabob

5 minutes ago, spideyfan68 said:

I guess I lucked out because the books that were reholdered had no Newton rings

To be clear, the reholder I submitted came back looking nice. It was for the newly graded stuff that the Newton Rings were there.

Edited by Doohickamabob
reducing my whininess

1 minute ago, Doohickamabob said:

No, just got the slabs. I'm glad they'll reholder them, but the thing is, some of the stuff I just sent out and got back was for similar reholder problems. It's aggravating to have to keep sending things back. It takes time and energy. Especially if I have to re-package and re-send 20+ slabs. I guess I'll call -- I just wish I didn't have to do it to begin with. Maybe I shouldn't make this public, but I am not trying to slam CGC or anything. I just think people should know it is still a concern. It's very frustrating because I thought they had this all sorted out now.

I agree,  it's aggravating after waiting months to get books back I just wanted to let you know in my case they did work to make the situation right.