• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evidently Newton Rings are just a fact of life now
1 1

92 posts in this topic

Most of the books I've received back the last month (maybe a dozen?) have had small Newton rings (I prefer prism effect). Back in the old days you could do the sheet of paper inserted from the side of the case to push the two layers of plastic apart and get rid of the Newton ring. The new, otherwise gorgeous case is sealed all along all four sides so this is no longer an option. 

What I don't understand is that I have NEVER seen the prism effect on PGX or Voldemort slabs. Why is this. What is different that causes either the plastics to not touch - or if they touch no Newton Ring appears? I've unslabbed hundreds of books from all three companies and I just don't see what the difference is.  Surely CGC could figure this out if they tried. 

16 minutes ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

How bad are newton rings hurting resale value?  To my understanding, this in no way damages the books but is just really unappealing to the eyes?

I had a buyer return a book in an older slab based on the Newton rings.  And that was one where you could insert a piece of paper to make it go away (temporarily).  So not everyone is going to notice or care, but if it's > than 0 people who care, it impacts sales.

8 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I just received a reply from Brittany that the books are an acceptable amount of prism effect and they will not re-holder for free anymore. Also,  past gen slabs had the same amount of it.:eyeroll:

Huh. I never noticed it on the past gen slabs. Even after receiving orders with dozens of slabbed books. I think CGC is just hoping people will get used to it.

9 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I just received a reply from Brittany that the books are an acceptable amount of prism effect and they will not re-holder for free anymore. Also,  past gen slabs had the same amount of it.:eyeroll:

T

10 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Acceptable to whom? Zero would be my idea of acceptable.

1 minute ago, Doohickamabob said:

Huh. I never noticed it on the past gen slabs. Even after receiving orders with dozens of slabbed books. I think CGC is just hoping people will get used to it.

All the previous gen slabs did have some of it but not even close to the new ones.

44 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I just got 15 books back and all are in the new/new thicker case and ALL are acceptable. Everyone one I have that is unacceptable is in the new/new thinner slab.

Boom.

New New "thinner" slab? when did they start that? I just got some back a couple of weeks ago, I didn't notice that it was any thinner...

is there a type of book that calls for a thinner case? I just checked an X-force 11 with an ASM 134 didn't see a difference.... the reason I ask is I have an ASM 129 coming in  a month or 2 and don't want any problems. @I like pie

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

There is not a lot of value in my post. But, tbh, I'd be mighty pissed to receive that level of prism effect in a single book, let alone so many. 

I got a book off eBay recently that had about 1/2 as bad prism. And I was not happy that it wasn't disclosed as it wasn't super obvious in the photos. 

Feel for you mate.