• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evidently Newton Rings are just a fact of life now
1 1

92 posts in this topic

I went and looked at a few from the previous batch and I had a ASM 129 that was in the new new thick case, don't know why I had never noticed it :) that's a bigger size difference in person compared to the picture. I appreciate you pointing it out to me @I like pie

If it is worth mentioning, the thin case is what I got back last time and had noticed the newton rings....(not the case size) and wondered what's up, now I know

Also if it is worth mentioning the thin cases (now that I notice the size) no longer show newton rings, after being in a short box in a closet, maybe the thinner case makes them more susceptible to outside forces: like weather, climate, or temperature......(??)

So hold on - there is the "New Old" case without the inner well, then the "New-New" case with the inner well AND now there is a variation of the "New-New" skinny case and "New-New" fat case?

So what I surmise is that I want the "New-New" Fat Case to avoid the prism effect/newton rings?

Edited by Chillax23

and I don't know the reason for the difference in the cases.....2 books in the submission both signature series one silver age in a thin case and a bronze age in a thick case, and I have moderns in the thin case as well, so idk

The 2 in the submission were an ASM 129 and a FF 49, so I assume there different sizes :) but if the bigger case is for the bigger book then how is it different than the smaller book with the smaller case; therefore, making the plastic not touch

I emailed asking about the different cases being used presently, there are 2 that I am aware of, and I was told there are "many different well designs" depending on the size of the comic. FYI

Edited by dpiercy

9 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

Huh. I never noticed it on the past gen slabs. Even after receiving orders with dozens of slabbed books. I think CGC is just hoping people will get used to it.

I agree.  I have certainly gotten used to the Newton's rings.  They do not bother me as much as they once did.

3 hours ago, My young Padawan said:

I agree.  I have certainly gotten used to the Newton's rings.  They do not bother me as much as they once did.

Well, considering that the main point of the business is to certify the grade of something, and not to frame/display something, it is possible to convince myself not to care. The one that bothered me the most was the Molly O'Day where the Newton Rings were especially noticeable in the very center, and thicker than usual. Maybe I'll see about getting that one reholdered. It's my laziness versus my perfectionism on that one...

To follow up, I just received my free re-holders back in the thicker cases(3/4" thick) and they are 90% newton free. All of them.

I have about 20 more of the newton defective cases that need re-casing but was told I have to pay to put them in the thicker cases now, so debating cost

as they didn't even cover shipping on my free reholders.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:11 PM, Chillax23 said:

So hold on - there is the "New Old" case without the inner well, then the "New-New" case with the inner well AND now there is a variation of the "New-New" skinny case and "New-New" fat case?

So what I surmise is that I want the "New-New" Fat Case to avoid the prism effect/newton rings?

There were 2 versions of the previous generation slabs too - CGC has always had a thicker case they used for thick squarebounds, large GA books, etc.

On 3/7/2017 at 2:50 PM, mschmidt said:

There were 2 versions of the previous generation slabs too - CGC has always had a thicker case they used for thick squarebounds, large GA books, etc.

Do you happen to know what mylar size fits the thicker ones? The hotflips flip n stick don't :/

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

Do you happen to know what mylar size fits the thicker ones? The hotflips flip n stick don't :/

For the thicker cases of the previous slab, I used the thicker version of their flip-n-stick bags:

https://hotflips.com/product/graded-comic-book-bags-flip-n-stick-larger-thicker-1-pack

But I don't have any thicker versions of the new cases, so I don't know whether they'll still fit :foryou:

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:09 AM, Doohickamabob said:
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, My young Padawan said:

Well, considering that the main point of the business is to certify the grade of something, and not to frame/display something, it is possible to convince myself not to care. The one that bothered me the most was the Molly O'Day where the Newton Rings were especially noticeable in the very center, and thicker than usual. Maybe I'll see about getting that one reholdered. It's my laziness versus my perfectionism on that one...

Yeah, I think you have to be able to accept some level of it.   As long as the book isn't getting effed up from the case, I can live with it.   I'm glad that the colors on the books aren't as muted as the previous generation(s) of slabs.  

Those are some severe examples, I've seen them of course but those are really pronounced.  It's understandable why this would mitigate the pleasure of showing off one's collection if they evinced such dramatic prism/Newton effects.

It is caused by the contact of the inner Mylar sleeve with the inside of the hard plastic slab, correct?

DFFH

That's what I assume. I don't know why this current gen exhibits it more than the previous though. If there was a more reputable company out there, I probably would have switched by now.

Especially since I just dished out $388(yesterday) to reslab the last of my defective ones. I was told they are considered acceptable levels of Newton.

Capture.PNG

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

That's what I assume. I don't know why this current gen exhibits it more than the previous though. If there was a more reputable company out there, I probably would have switched by now.

Especially since I just dished out $388(yesterday) to reslab the last of my defective ones. I was told they are considered acceptable levels of Newton.

Capture.PNG

Argh. I heard they reholder for free if the Newton rings are severe. Not sure how they determine what's too much versus not enough to merit free reholdering. I'm glad to hear that others here have received their comics without Newton rings, which shows that CGC is capable of minimizing it. The question is why CGC seems to have wide variation on their success at reducing the rings... Again, I don't mind if it's minimal or only shows up at an angle. And yes, otherwise the new case does highlight the colors of the comic more.

Over the past month, I've been scanning my CGC books. They are all in the older pre-2016 CGC cases. Seeing that Newton's rings are in the vernacular, I notice that these older cases are full of 'em! They don't really bother me, but they're also not as severe as some of the ones pictured here.

I average about 30-50 new slabs per month.  Yes there was a massive Newton Ring problem when the new holder was first rolled out, but once CGC rolled out their New Case 2.0 as I call it by putting back in the old inner well combined with the new outer well I rarely see Newton Rings anymore.  If I do it's the same small % as previous years.  

Nothing can be perfect all the time, but for me this case is the best holder the hobby has ever seen.

I am not saying the OP didnt have problems, but I don't know I am just not seeing the problem anymore since they fixed the new slab 6 months or so ago.  Looks great to me. 

scan0042_zps4yzsltp4.jpg

scan0044_zpsmdcmnyov.jpg

eBay%20952_zpssc0wucmq.jpg