• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evidently Newton Rings are just a fact of life now
1 1

92 posts in this topic

I've picked up about six new style slabs in the last few months and none have had Newton Rings. I just got one in the mail today that has a pretty serious case of them. Interestingly, all the previous ones were the "modern era" inner well (without "walls") and this one has the walls. Could that be relevant?

Fortunately the rings don't bother me much since I know the book is unharmed.

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

Edited by Paul_Maul

I haven't read every thread about this...but does anyone understand why this phenomenon happens sometimes, but not always?

Also, I have seen Newton rings on regular mylars. I sometimes put a comic size Mylar inside a magazine sized Mylar/fullback for added protection and I sometimes see some minor Newton effect there.

36 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

I haven't read every thread about this...but does anyone understand why this phenomenon happens sometimes, but not always?

Also, I have seen Newton rings on regular mylars. I sometimes put a comic size Mylar inside a magazine sized Mylar/fullback for added protection and I sometimes see some minor Newton effect there.

Personally I think "a" factor is weather, air flow, humidity etc. It's not the "only" factor, but I would argue that the "case" is not the "only" factor either. So really idk and I don't think that it can be pinpointed... I have low-grade comics in the old case before they messed with the label, that I display in my comic room and they get more newton rings than those with the new case put up in a CGC box....

Weather, air flow and humidity have nothing to do with Newton Rings.  It's not moisture in the air or in the slab.  It is an optical phenomenon only.  It happens when the mylar is pressed tight against the hard plastic shell.  For some reason, when they are putting slabs together, they can't consistently do it so that the inner mylar isn't pressing hard against the outer shell every time.  That is why that when you request the larger sized outer case it gets rid of the rings - because there is space in between the mylar and the outer shell.

Edited by AndyJibb

2 minutes ago, AndyJibb said:

Weather, air flow and humidity have nothing to do with Newton Rings.  It's not moisture in the air or in the slab.  It is an optical phenomenon only.  It happens when the mylar is pressed tight against the hard plastic shell.  For some reason, when they are putting slabs together, they can't consistently do it so that the inner mylar isn't pressing hard against the outer shell every time.  That is why that when you request the larger sized outer case it gets rid of the rings - because there is space in between the mylar and the outer shell.

If there is space, do you end up with it shaking inside the case? :shy:

My latest batch of "acceptable" amount of rings. 28 books total. Almost half have the same degree.

CGC wasn't able to case them in the thicker cases anymore, which almost completely eliminates the rings.

My only choice is to suck it or switch to an inferior company.

20171012_100444.jpg

20171011_175808.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, I like pie said:

My latest batch of "acceptable" amount of rings. 28 books total. Almost half have the same degree.

CGC wasn't able to case them in the thicker cases anymore, which almost completely eliminates the rings.

My only choice is to suck it or switch to an inferior company.

20171012_100444.jpg

20171011_175808.jpg

Damn, that's horrible.  I don't know how they can call that "acceptable."  This is making it so hard for me to want to submit books anymore.

Mylar polyester is approved by The Library of Congress for the indefinite -term care of paper products (hundreds of years).  If it's good enough for the Constitution of the United States, it's probably okay for a Hulk 181, too.

I see you think this topic important enough to have made posts in multiple threads.  hm

Edited by namisgr

23 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Mylar polyester is approved by The Library of Congress for the indefinite -term care of paper products (hundreds of years).  If it's good enough for the Constitution of the United States, it's probably okay for a Hulk 181, too.

I see you think this topic important enough to have made posts in multiple threads.  hm

Those people are aligned with educational/industrial/bureaucratic-complex.  Not sure they should be trusted.