• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evidently Newton Rings are just a fact of life now
1 1

92 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2017 at 4:40 PM, mschmidt said:

For the thicker cases of the previous slab, I used the thicker version of their flip-n-stick bags:

https://hotflips.com/product/graded-comic-book-bags-flip-n-stick-larger-thicker-1-pack

But I don't have any thicker versions of the new cases, so I don't know whether they'll still fit :foryou:

Just got a couple packs of these. Perfect fit for the new/thicker cases as well^^

Newton rings have started showing up in our bath tub since the porcupine48 sleepovers.  Not as bad as the Bert and Ernie scatjobs in the 90s, but fairly disgusting, and not for the faint of heart.

32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Newton rings have started showing up in our bath tub since the porcupine48 sleepovers.  Not as bad as the Bert and Ernie scatjobs in the 90s, but fairly disgusting, and not for the faint of heart.

too much 'ruffage'

Edited by porcupine48

I've been saving up a bunch of slabs from different submissions over the past 8 months.  I have 10 or so that have newton rings that I would call "unacceptable."  Hopefully CGC will help me out with them.  For me, the presentation of the book is just as important as getting a book graded, so having a bunch of ugly rings on the cover is not something I want.

Edited by AndyJibb
Typo

On 4/30/2017 at 4:04 PM, AndyJibb said:

I've been saving up a bunch of slabs from different submissions over the past 8 months.  I have 10 or so that have newton rings that I would call "unacceptable."  Hopefully CGC will help me out with them.  For me, the presentation of the book is just as important as getting a book graded, so having a bunch of ugly rings on the cover is not something I want.

Just got my re-slabs back.  I asked them to put all the books in the thicker cases, like suggested earlier in this thread - and it worked.  I sent in 10 books, and they all came back with essentially no Newton rings.  A few of the books have what looks like minor scuff marks on the mylar layer, underneath the case.  This must've happened during handling of the reholdering.  But, it's a minor gripe as they still look much better than they did. 

Edited by AndyJibb

On 3/29/2017 at 9:21 PM, porcupine48 said:
On 3/29/2017 at 8:49 PM, lizards2 said:

too much 'ruffage'

Lord, I must have been hosed the night I wrote that.  :whee:

I don't slab my books but it does look like moisture, however is it the outer slab or the laminate inside? From what I've read here it can be improved which means that it is not in the plastic making process itself, can anyone identify what actually causes it thanks. 

6 hours ago, tv horror said:

I don't slab my books but it does look like moisture, however is it the outer slab or the laminate inside? From what I've read here it can be improved which means that it is not in the plastic making process itself, can anyone identify what actually causes it thanks. 

I've heard that it is senior grader "residue"

Seal of approval, and all that.

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Come off it. 

48 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
51 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Come off it. 

:whistle:

Many of you have seen me complain about the new slabs and the level of Newton effect they have.

As I stated before, I found a resolution I was satisfied with in requesting the thicker #5 slabs.

I was told today I can no longer do that and be assured I will get them. Previously I had just noted on the invoice I would like the #5's.

Obviously, I don't care on books I am selling but won't be submitting any more to CGC for my PC.

To be told the pictures on page 1 of this thread are acceptable is ridiculous.:ohnoez:

I don't get it really ??? I haven't had any problems.....

Other than the random "first time ever" posters to this and other threads, I don't think that it is really a problem anymore. When I shop, I rarely see it either.....

I mean this and other threads it's someone that has the total of 1 post, that posts these problems....

@I like pie  :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't get it really ??? I haven't had any problems.....

Other than the random "first time ever" posters to this and other threads, I don't think that it is really a problem anymore. When I shop, I rarely see it either.....

I mean this and other threads it's someone that has the total of 1 post, that posts these problems....

@I like pie

It doesn't bother some and that's fine. To each their own. But many of the pics from page one are mine and from multiple subs.

Do you think those are ok?

Just now, I like pie said:

It doesn't bother some and that's fine. To each their own. But many of the pics from page one are mine and from multiple subs.

Do you think those are ok?

I believe you!! and no I don't think it's ok :shy:

I just don't "understand" it, as you said to each their own, I was just trying to let you know (as far as I know) that most aren't having problems--is all

I agree the one's you posted in this thread aren't what they should be. I don't know how long you've been requesting a specific case though and wanted to reaffirm that other's haven't had the issue's that you've had---- and that is what is so confusing :shy: and perhaps confusing at CGC as well due to the lack of complaints.... I welcome your feedback, because I always see it and go back and check my case's.....

I subbed my first IH 181 and it was graded June 24th 2016, I was always tempted to have it reholdered because it was so close to the date of the "new-problem-issue" cases. The IH 181 though was put in the "new new" case and has never showed waviness nor newton rings, but believe me when I see other's post problems I go check lol I understand the lack of trust, which is why I check in case I ever sell, because at one time I had 12 reholdered due to newton rings and waviness. That was at the time they still did it for free. When they stopped doing it for free, I knew they were slowly hoping everyone would just forget about it.

If they are stating outright that issue's you've had are "acceptable" and it is a current situation, that is indeed important!