• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Disney comics lost during shipping

19 posts in this topic

On December 21st last year, a registered and insured USPS package was mailed to my address in Las Vegas. The package is now officially lost and subject to an insurance claim. 

Two of the lost books are easily recognizable, even if they have been removed from the CGC holder:

* Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 6, Recil Macon, name written prominently on front cover

* Mickey Mouse Magazine Series 1 #4, 1933, exceptionally rare book in any grade that is close to unique in CGC 8.0

There were other CGC graded books in the package (including Mickey Mouse Magazine Series 2 #1, 1933, CGC 9.0), but these two are easiest to remember.

My financial loss should be covered by insurance, but I would appreciate if other collectors could watch out for the books in case they were stolen. The USPS lost track of the package at my local post office where it was held while I was out the country. 

On 2/9/2017 at 0:49 AM, tb said:

On December 21st last year, a registered and insured USPS package was mailed to my address in Las Vegas. The package is now officially lost and subject to an insurance claim. 

Two of the lost books are easily recognizable, even if they have been removed from the CGC holder:

* Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 6, Recil Macon, name written prominently on front cover

* Mickey Mouse Magazine Series 1 #4, 1933, exceptionally rare book in any grade that is close to unique in CGC 8.0

There were other CGC graded books in the package (including Mickey Mouse Magazine Series 2 #1, 1933, CGC 9.0), but these two are easiest to remember.

My financial loss should be covered by insurance, but I would appreciate if other collectors could watch out for the books in case they were stolen. The USPS lost track of the package at my local post office where it was held while I was out the country. 

Ouch! Really hate to hear this. Still possible, I think for the package to turn up even if the p.o. has moved to the stage of paying your claim. 

I assume you've taken the usual steps of alerting local comic shops and keeping an eye on eBay and FB. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

I had a similar situation occur a few years back, when I had sent another collectible, insured, and the recipient was not home to sign for it.

It was then held at his local post office, and then apparently misplaced, so reportedly "lost".

Once I started the insurance claim, the post office got real involved and found the package right there at the buyer's local post office, so don't be surprised if yours does turn up after submission of a claim.

After all, who in their right mind would steal junky 'ol comic books? ;)

Edited by fifties

On 2/11/2017 at 11:23 PM, Moondog said:

This is why I never ship by USPS.  Imbeciles and/or thieves.

Sorry to hear this, TB...

Same here I only use FeDex when it comes to rare/expensive books. I don't trust any other company in this type of situation.

Hope you get your books!!

Edited by SC22

21 minutes ago, tb said:

I am relieved to report that the missing parcel arrived today, May 8, 4 1/2 month after it was originally mailed. Thanks to everyone who kept an eye out for the books. 

Unbelievable time frame, but I'm happy to hear about final delivery.

Wow, pony express or rather turtle express is still an active service.  I know mistakes happen but USPS should refund any shipping costs for this.  It would be the least they could do.  In any event, happy to hear they have arrived.

2 hours ago, tb said:

I am relieved to report that the missing parcel arrived today, May 8, 4 1/2 month after it was originally mailed. Thanks to everyone who kept an eye out for the books. 

Wonderful, glad they showed up.  Any idea where the parcel has been all this time?

10 hours ago, tb said:

Great news!  Any details?  Did it just arrive on your doorstep with no explanation? 

Yeah, I'm just being nosey! :)