• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring back nested quotes
2 2

Question

The default now is to quote only the content of the post being replied to.  Any earlier posts that the post you are quoting quoted are not picked up.  In other words, the default is not to nest quotes as the old software did.

Roy pointed out that you can still pick up all the earlier quotes by highlighting their content first, but a) that's another (messy) step, and b) most people don't realize you can do it.

34 answers to this question

I wouldn't mind nested quotes if they were automatically hidden by spoiler tags.  Viewing a gluttony of endless repetitive quotes especially on a mobile device is a pain in the tush.   I don't even look at This Week Back from CGC thread because of that.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, people usually just left quote nesting in in worthless ways that wasted screen space.  I used to mostly deleted all interior quotes aside from the two most recent, i.e. the post I'm responding to and the post that one was responding to because that's usually all the context you need to understand a response.  Few people used nested quoting well.

True, but already I've encountered a number of mysterious posts where someone apparently assumed that the default of nested quoting is on and didn't realize they are only quoting the post they are replying to, so some info to make their post intelligible is missing.

It can be abused, but over in Gold land we often debate things like who did the art on a cover.  Without nested quotes, you would have to search back to find a post where the cover is shown. 

Yea, people usually just left quote nesting in in worthless ways that wasted screen space.  I used to mostly deleted all interior quotes aside from the two most recent, i.e. the post I'm responding to and the post that one was responding to because that's usually all the context you need to understand a response.  Few people used nested quoting well.

5 hours ago, NEWTON EINSTEIN said:

FULLY AGREE with Tony!!!

This is one of the most VITAL items that needs to be KEPT from the old Boards.

I agree with the Sqeggs party. Without nested quotes, responses can get completely detached from the original quote, and end up sounding like non-sequiters. And in Gold, there are often extended conversations, among 5+ boardies, about a topic or creator or other issue that benefit from seeing and keeping all the responses together.

19 hours ago, telerites said:

I wouldn't mind nested quotes if they were automatically hidden by spoiler tags.  Viewing a gluttony of endless repetitive quotes especially on a mobile device is a pain in the tush.   I don't even look at This Week Back from CGC thread because of that.

This is a great idea and compromise. I hate nested quotes but if they were by default hidden in spoiler tags that would work. They take up too much space and make it a chore to read pages.

23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

True, but already I've encountered a number of mysterious posts where someone apparently assumed that the default of nested quoting is on and didn't realize they are only quoting the post they are replying to, so some info to make their post intelligible is missing.

It can be abused, but over in Gold land we often debate things like who did the art on a cover.  Without nested quotes, you would have to search back to find a post where the cover is shown. 

Testing the nesting

15 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Testing the nesting

15 minutes ago, edowens71 said:
23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Testing the nesting

Nesting testing :)

Tony, I am assuming you know by now that nesting IS possible on the new Boards,

and that it is actually quite easy (at least for me on my laptop, can't say for phone or something else).

If you have any questions about how to do it, just let me know.

28 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@NEWTON EINSTEIN

Can you please share with the rest of us? Thanks:)

Just highlight the entire post, including the quotes, and click on the "Quote this" pop-up. Voila!
Very easy on a real computer, with a mouse. I don't know how easy it is on a mobile device.

On 2017-02-11 at 1:29 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 2017-02-11 at 1:13 PM, edowens71 said:
On 2017-02-10 at 1:54 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 2017-02-10 at 1:48 PM, fantastic_four said:

Testing the nesting

Nesting testing :)

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Just highlight the entire post, including the quotes, and click on the "Quote this" pop-up. Voila!
Very easy on a real computer, with a mouse. I don't know how easy it is on a mobile device.

Really tough in my experience, unless there's a shortcut I don't know about.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

MusterMark appears to have done away with Newton Einstein! :whatthe:

Tony, I MAY bring it back after a while.

But since I've been on the Boards as MusterMark for so many years, it doesn't make sense quite at this particular juncture to be changing my member name.  Maybe after all the dust settles ...

(and there is a lot of dust!) :)

2 2