• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Add a Like button

Question

I'm a 'retired' moderator at www.GTPlanet.net/forum and that site has a like button that I've really come to love over the years.  It doesn't really count for anything except you can see who has the most likes and a confidence booster, haha.  The like button would list out maybe one or two people who've liked a post, then say X amount of other people who liked that post just like the online users box in the top right of the new forums.

Any chance we can get a Like button set up?

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

8 answers to this question

• Administrator
On 2/10/2017 at 2:41 PM, jump_ace said:

I'm a 'retired' moderator at www.GTPlanet.net/forum and that site has a like button that I've really come to love over the years.  It doesn't really count for anything except you can see who has the most likes and a confidence booster, haha.  The like button would list out maybe one or two people who've liked a post, then say X amount of other people who liked that post just like the online users box in the top right of the new forums.

Any chance we can get a Like button set up?

Jerome

Eh, we'll try it for a bit. If it starts to become a way to troll people, we'll turn it off. Enjoy for now. :busy:

I'm not sure how much I like or will like this feature overall, but I do like the way this button works here more than on some other boards I've seen.

I especially like that it uses very little space in an area that was previously empty and (basically) wasted and that it simply shows a number rather than the names of the "likers" which should also (theoretically) reduce its trolling potential.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:33 PM, Architecht said:

Eh, we'll try it for a bit. If it starts to become a way to troll people, we'll turn it off. Enjoy for now. :busy:

Please turn it off.

Not a good fit on the CGC Comic message boards.

Are you hearing otherwise from board members?

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Clear said:

Please turn it off.

Not a good fit on the CGC Comic message boards.

Are you hearing otherwise from board members?

Here is how I would describe the feedback:

1. A few request to turn it on
  2. A handful of adamant "this sucks get rid of it" kind of comments
  3. A greater number of people than either of groups #1 and #2 who are just quietly using the like button to highlight content, and not posting about it. You can see this group by looking at the leader board, scrolling down to posts that have likes on them, and clicking on the like counts to see who is liking content

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/leaderboard/

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

Here is how I would describe the feedback:

1. A few request to turn it on
  2. A handful of adamant "this sucks get rid of it" kind of comments
  3. A greater number of people than either of groups #1 and #2 who are just quietly using the like button to highlight content, and not posting about it. You can see this group by looking at the leader board, scrolling down to posts that have likes on them, and clicking on the like counts to see who is liking content

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/leaderboard/

OK So who else besides Lethal_Collector likes the Like button?

Hope about an old fashioned poll?

Or is that another thing the new boards can't do?

Edited by Clear

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Clear said:

OK So who else besides Lethal_Collector likes the Like button?

Hope about an old fashioned poll?

Or is that another thing the new boards can't do?

The new boards can do polls, and does them better than the old boards. What exactly is on your list of "another thing the new boards can't do"? I'm not aware of any notable items.

However, here's the problem with polls on a new feature. You're going to get a few people who care deeply to even bother to read the poll or vote in it, while getting little or no feedback from the bulk of the users.

People have to get enough of a chance to use it and see the benefits to have an informed opinion. The fact that lots of people HAVE used it is a promising first sign, even though you clearly don't like it.

Did you go to the leaderboard, scroll down to the "liked" content and try clicking on the "likes" counts to see who has been using it? Perhaps that information would cause you to avoid the assumptions inherent in your "who else besides X like it" statements? Take a look. It might surprise you.

Personally, I'm very disinclined to remove a potentially useful feature for finding good content because 5 to 10 users don't want to look at a button that they can easily ignore. At least until it becomes clear that it's really not being used by any notable amount of the user base.