• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bondage Trivia ?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Outside of pulps and periodicals that are comics, does anyone know the earliest bondage cover?  

Also the earliest bondage cover that CGC has noted on a graded book (if the first has no graded copies)?

I have always been curious of this for no real reason but thought I would ask the bondage experts.  Perhaps a real simple answer.

I can't answer your question but have a trivia fact concerning "bondage covers" Anybody know who first coined the phrase for comic books?

It was David T Alexander and Terry Stroud of the American Comic Book Co. In the mid '70's. They were real marketeers and started a lot of treads including "good girl art", "esoteric", "torture cover" and of course "bondage" among others.  I think it brought a lot of attention to their wares.

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I can't answer your question but have a trivia fact concerning "bondage covers" Anybody know who first coined the phrase for comic books?

It was David T Alexander and Terry Stroud of the American Comic Book Co. In the mid '70's. They were real marketeers and started a lot of treads including "good girl art", "esoteric", "torture cover" and of course "bondage" among others.  I think it brought a lot of attention to their wares.

That's interesting, RM.  No doubt I saw those terms and remember the ads well.  Had no idea they coined the phrases.

And thanks, Jon for the two covers you mentioned.  I looked at a CGC slabbed Tec' #14 and CGC doesn't note it on the label.  Pic from Greg Reece's site.  

It may be the first worst socks cover to boot.

DETECTIVE%20COMICS%2014%20CGC%203%205%20

3 hours ago, telerites said:

That's interesting, RM.  No doubt I saw those terms and remember the ads well.  Had no idea they coined the phrases.

And thanks, Jon for the two covers you mentioned.  I looked at a CGC slabbed Tec' #14 and CGC doesn't note it on the label.  Pic from Greg Reece's site.  

It may be the first worst socks cover to boot.

DETECTIVE%20COMICS%2014%20CGC%203%205%20

Go check  out the mens socks in major retailers now Jeff, these are conservative to what's 'in' now. This guy was ahead of the times. (btw, try as i might, cannot get pics to load. May just have to be just a spectator/commentator for a while. )

Great choices and books, Corey.  Those early MLJs are just spectacular with action and colors and they other two aren't shabby either.  Kind of an oxymoron - Fun Time comic title with a bound cat going to be smashed in the noggin by a mouse-driven train.  Not too much fun for the cat but at least the wabbit is ready to offer medical help after he finishes laughing.  

Your collection is so eclectic and full of great classic covers from so many different genres.

Outside of comics and pulps, there were lots of bondage covers in the nineteenth century on story papers and penny dreadfuls and things like that. This one is from the 1880s and I am sure bondage covers go back to when the first story papers appeared in europe in the early nineteenth century

3c4def1891ac4e46f2b7cae3d92f5f3d.jpg

On 2/10/2017 at 5:53 PM, Primetime said:

For Timely, it would be Daring Mystery 1 (out on stands late Oct 1939)

So is this the earliest female bondage cover on a comic book?  hm  Or are there any earlier?